ReefJeff RSM 130D 1st attempt

David Shaw

Looks like you have found the cause. A rotten egg smell is a sure sign, and if the tank crashed 2 times and this is the common denominator then that is more than definitely the cause. Trash it!

I don't ever put stuff like that in mine and my corals are just fine.

Keep it simple, keep the tank clean and do regular weekly water changes (large ones for now to get that gunk out of your tank). Good weekly water changes should keep your water perams under control and don't use any additives. All i use is calcium and magnesium as and when required. Adding anything such as coral grow etc just results in an algae bloom. The water for changes i get from the LFS seem to provide everything else that is needed.

I keep it all simple and it works for me.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to see the problem has been identified! That rotten egg smell is a good indication of hydrogen sulfide - from the Marine Snow decomposing - very toxic to fish and other life. If nothing else maybe your bad experience will save someone else from the same thing happening, It's also good to hear that the clowns & gobie survived, and that you haven't given up yet.

Shamus

Jeff - sorry to hear about your woes of late...and I'm glad you found the culprit. Hopefully things will get back on track for you!

Nowellsy SNR

Thats shocking news im really sorry for you glay your staying in the hobby you must have been so close to giving it up

I wish you good luck in the future

reeferman

so sorry to hear the bad news,but dont give up!just sit back and enjoy what made it through.im with everyone above,i dont add any suspension food either.your luck will turn up soon.

Shamus

I also agree with everyone else - I used to add suspension food (marine snow, phytoplankton) only to get a wonderful algae bloom! Right now, I use water changes, magnesium, and two-part calcium/alk solutions. The only other thing I add food-wise is fish food and cyclop-eeze for target feeding coral (every once in a blue moon some mysis as well). And I've gotten to the point where the cyclop-eeze serves as a major source of fish food too. Like Reggie said, sit back and enjoy what made it through. This way you don't have to worry about dumping too much money again into the tank until you're ready. Good luck!

reefjeff

thanks ya all for the kind word...
at least i know what causes the problem and got rid of it ...
i tought i wasn t going to be able to buy more stuffs for a lil while, but money came in faster than i expected, so this morning i went back to the LFS and got me 2 skunk cleaner shrimps, 2 camel shrimps, 1 coral banded shrimp, and a nice coral, me thinks it is a ricordea, will post pics of it tomorrow....
nothing was bought to replace the angelfish, will give me a lil time to think about it...have a nice reefing day
peace
jeff

reefjeff

yeah terry that is quiet a shrimp list lol, will cook dem once them are big enough....j/k

thanks berk

things are going good now, still lots of algae, after the bloom caused by the phytoplankton, changed the old phosguard for some new one, so it should be gone soon,
here s a few pics i just took,

1-FTS.jpg

2-FTS.jpg

3-odg.jpg

4-odg.jpg

5-odg.jpg

6-odg.jpg

and here s the new coral addition, is this a ricordea ?
i got it for 28.90 euros, all soft corals in the tank were 45 euros and 2 of them were 28.90, since the guy had no ideas which were they, i told him this one was 28.90 and it sold it to me for this price...lol

8-ricordea.jpg

9-ricordea.jpg

7-ricordeaskunkcleanershrimp.jpg

have a nice reefing day
peace
jeff

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Looking good Jeff! Yes - those are Ricordea florida, and that's a nice colony of them at a good price!

Shamus

Nice pics Jeff - the rics do look nice. Is that a turbo on the left hand side of your tank - that thing looks huge! At first I thought it was some type of nudibranch but I noticed the shell...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I saw that too Steve. Huge foot on that snail! The shell looks a lot like what saltwaterfish.com sells as "fancy nassarius" - I had a couple of them and they were as big as turbos but have a much bigger foot.

Fancy Nassarius Snail

They were almost scary when these big guys would surface from the substrate! At times they would go up the glass as well.