Reefer Addict's Reef

Playa

Dave this is one of my Favorite threads that I ever read on the internet about reefkeeping. Please keep up the great work.

You are a great teacher!

Cheers!!!!!!!

Luis

wooddood

the wood dude
looks sweet dave i cant wait to see the finally.but i'll be patient i promise lol.got my 120 up and running last night and put together the closed loop with another scwd.i also have one on my return.debbies gonna aquascape today while im at work so i'll post some pics tonight if all goes as planned.good luck with the final stages of your project.

addict

Craig: Thanks again. :)
tankgirl (1): Thank you too. :)
nivek: yep, it's a neverending process. ;) ... and thanks. :)
Playa: Looks like we're even... your thread is also one of my favorites to peruse. :D Thanks.
wooddood: sounds great! Can't wait to see the pix. :) thanks.
Gina: Thanks for being patient... ;) I've kept everybody strung along now for over a month so I gotta deliver pretty soon or I'm gonna catch it. :D Thank you for following along.
tankgirl (2): The return pump will be a Mag9.5 (about 950gph, and head pressure dropping it to the area of 700gph). I usually shoot for 4x circulation through the sump to keep microbubbles to a minimum. I'll have 8 MJ-1200's making up the rest of the circulation in the tank, so the return doesn't need to be very powerful... just enough to do it's job. :)

I'm just getting up this morning (was nice to sleep in for a change), so I'll probably get going on the other projects here in an hour or so... once I get enough coffee in me that I'm not a zombie. :D

I'll report back later...

Maxx

17 pages and no water in the tank....lol.
I think thats a record for RS.....I know I'm waiting impatiently to see this beast up and running.
Not that I need another reef to be jealous of.
Keep up the good work,
Nick

Hey Nick!Good observation!But a good book always has many pages, but the last page is the best!!
David let us know when you'll get the big wave inside the tank!
Did you already order the live rocks?
When will be the day that we can all hear the big splash?NIce work!

VINA

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yup Dave I am anxious to see how it looks with water and LR in it! Will give me a good idea what my tank will look like when it is up and running! Will be cool with both of us having basically the same style tank but mine being the smaller version. That will be cool! Anxiously awaiting more pics!:)

addict

Nick: Thanks. :) I also can't believe how much this thread has grown since I started it.
Vina: The big wave should hit Saturday afternoon... teardown is Friday, setup is Saturday, and reintroduction is Sunday... then I got another 7 days to fiddle with it. :)
I ordered my rocks first thing... I knew they'd have to cure for a while before I could use them. They've been cooking in a rubbermaid tub next to my kitchen for about 5 weeks... and they're ready to go (all params test 0).
Johnny: I'll have to start calling you Mini-Me from now on... :D
Mebigloser: Thanks man. :)

Anyway, I got the plumbing on the back of the tank done, and attached is a pic.
The T is 1-1/2", it reduces down to 1" on the 45's, then reduces again to 3/4" inside the tank (the Loc-Line).
I used flex-PVC for the part between the unions and the 90's on the back of the bulkhead... made it a lot easier to match everything up since there's a bit of flex to it.
Everything is matched, so I shouldn't have any problems with uneven flow through the returns (well, maybe to a minor degree)...
I guess I'll find out when I fire it up. :)

Attachments

• tank-plumbing.jpg
    tank-plumbing.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

addict

And here's a picture of the halide mounts. I DIY'd these with pine, glued and nailed. Between the ceramic mogul socket and the wood is a small aluminum heat-shield which should reflect most of the heat generated by the socket.
In the left of the photo you can see the power adapter I'm using for the moonlighting... just your everyday wall wart. :)

Anyway, we're taking the kids to Chuck E. Cheese so I gotta make it quick this time... I'll check back later if I'm still alive. :D

Attachments

• halide-mounts.jpg
    halide-mounts.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

jks1

careful- that chuck E guy can be a little rough...

The sump look fantastic- I never would have thought to use plywood.

Can wait to see it all together.. Great job!

wooddood

the wood dude
dave you have done one heck of a job on this project and the step by step progress and i commend you for the effort you have given to this reef setup.as i've said before you have inspired me and i know you have johnny [montana] we have been talking about your tank today and im sure he will be contacting you.so any help you could be would be greatly appreciated.you'll understand when johnny gets ahold of you.he has my number if you have any questions.thanks in advance and karma to you again my friend.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Your getting closer Dave! Yup Wooddood has offered to do my canopy and stand and so thankful for his generous offer! I still am amazed at the wonderful and caring people on this forum!:)

addict

jks1: Well, Chuck E. let me live... though I don't think I'll ever go back there on a Saturday evening again... :bugout:

wooddood: Thank you. :) I told Johnny that I'd get some plans drawn up for his stand, so I'll probably be PM'ing you about those here in a couple of days... and thanks for the karma. :)

Johnny: I agree that this is such a great place... it's the true meaning of 'community'... people helping one another however they can. I'm glad to be a part of it. :cool:

Attached is probably the last pic before the teardown starts (in 5 days and counting)... whoohoo!
As a final touch, I contact-cemented a piece of speaker box carpeting to the top of the stand, to act as a gasket between the tank and the plywood.
The 2" bulkhead is also visible... I had to cut a 6" hole in the stand to accommodate it. :)
I'm soooo ready to get this baby up and running... this next weekend will never get here fast enough. :)

Attachments

• stand-top.jpg
    stand-top.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 61
Last edited: