Reef-A-Palooza Report for Max Members

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hi guys,
I am going to try and report what I see today at Reef-a-Palooza for everyone.
I am taking one of the Apoge PAR meters with me and a camera. Word is out there will be alot of LED lighting systems there. I am going to get some PAR numbers from them.
Heck, I think we can all get the inside scoop on these puppies and see what kind of PAR numbers they really put out.
LED's almost seem to good to be true! High PAR numbers and no or very little heat combines with extremely low current levels to run them sound like a fairy tail!
Well, :whstlr: :thumbup: SHERLOCK(TODD) HOLMES:jabber: :apimp: is going to do some "BIG TIME SNOOPING AROUND" today for you guys!!!!
IT should be exciting and interesting! I will report back ok?:thumber:

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hi EVERYONE,
Well, I woke up this morning happy and excited. My buddy and myself are hitting Reef A Palooza this morning! I bagged up my camera and PAR meter with one of my gun bags that I use to take guns in to the range. I figured if I did purchase frags they could go in the same bag for easy toting around!
So off we went! Upon arrival a 4.00 parking fee:flaming: but it was to be expected.
After parking I grabbed my bag and we headed toward the building in sunny Costa Mesa California!
Got in line to pay to get in! 10.00 for each of us:flaming: :flaming: :jabber: :jabber: We eagerly paid and went in, LOL.
Lots of vendors and tons of frag guys, some drinking beer at 11:00!!!!! We started off to our left and headed down the first isle.
I immediately came across a frag guy with two shallow frag tanks each with a 250 watt halide over each tank. Asked if I could take some PAR numbers. The left tank had a 250 watt SE Radium 20K bulb. WOW! I loved the color and the PAR was awesome! 6 inches away he was pushing 1400 PAR! He went on to explain how the Radiums where his favorite for look and PAR numbers. Well, he was right on with the PAR numbers. The bulb to the right was a 250 watt se as well but with a ushio. The PAR was half!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it! Now, this may have something to do with ballasts, and I would think it would. There are many variables, but I felt a generalization would help me when I go to get my final bulb. Usually the lower kelvin bulbs have MORE PAR........
More to come, I have to wash the dog!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
BACK!!!!LOL!!!!!
Once we chatted I looked over my shoulder to my left! Tons of free coral mags!!!! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! I picked up 5 new current/ back issues salt water fish/coral mags!!!!! Now I felt like I was settling in and things where rolling along.
One thing I noticed was most all of the Frag guys selling frags are running the 20K halide bulbs. There where some T5's, but metal halides seemed to be the majority.
There where a few guys running LED'S over SPS corals but only for the show I was told.
I did some quick PAR readings and they where on the 400 range directly below the lights.
There did not seem to be a big buzz at the show this year about them like there was last year.
I had a discussion with a icecap rep and he told me they are a great supplemental light. That's about it.
I am loading up some pics now to post!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The LEDs aren't as hot an item as they were a year ago. I've heard the high dollar Solaris LED hood hasn't turned out to be all that people hoped for. I think LEDs are the future, but maybe the technology isn't quite where it needs to be yet. Let me know which magazines you like the most. I'm not very happy with Aquarium Fish International and didn't renew.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Good Morning Terry,
Yes, you are correct. You will need a whole slew of them to the PAR levels needed. And I mean ALOT!!!
IF they really catch on, metal halides will drop in price even more. Making them that much more appealing to use.
So many frag guys there where running 250 watt metal halides I could not believe it! And the colors where nothing short of amazing!
One of the big surprises there was the Lumatek ballast. I spoke quite a while with the owner.
They have two new ballasts coming out right now. And they are nice!
They have the 250 watt model: IT will run 150 watt, 175 watt, or 250w and HQI with the flip of a dial on the side of the ballast!!!! WOW! Also, a swith on the ballast to go from 120 to 240 volts!!!! IT can also be dimmed to 50% of it output!!!!!
400 watt model: This ballast will power 250, 400 and HQI with the flip of a switch! The 400 watt model also has what they call SUPER LUMENS TECHNOLOGY. With the flip of a switch, you can overdrive a 400 watt bulb 10%!
Their ballasts use alot of American parts. Nice, really nice!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
DSC02359.jpg

redseareef

RS Sponsor
This tank was set up by Quality Marine. Looks like they really worked hard to get it looking great! One of it not the best looking tanks set up there!
Notice the LED lighting. Right on the water! Quality Marine is a fish and coral wholesaler in the L.A. area. They are known for their healthy livestock and exotics they get in!
DSC02356.jpg

tnwillia

Todd... Asking a "I don't know" question here.

Are all the Frag guys you saw running 250HQI on the tanks doing it because it's a short term event to get the best color or would they be running that light on them at home as well? What average depth were all these frag tanks you saw?

I backed off getting 250 HQI lights for my upgrade cause the reading I did led me to think I would be over driving my tank at my 18" bottom depth.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hi Tom,
Great questions! If you are going to keep LPS and softcorals I would go with the 150 watters. If you want to go SPS I would go 250 watters.
Most guys ran 250 watters on their home systems too. These are the guys keeping the SPS and other exotics that require intense lighting Tom.
Now, if you have some caves and shaded areas, you can put your softies and LPS in those areas.
IT just depends what area of the reef you wish to replicate. IF you want to stay with what corals you have, then the 150 watters are more then likely fine. You can place SPS towards the top of the tank and you may have success. Depending on the species.
Also, you can adjust intensity by bulb run time as well. With supplemental actinics for instance: You could run the 250's 6 hours a day and then the actinic the rest of the 11-12 hour photoperiod. HAve the blues run 2.5 hours before and after the halides kick on.
Lots of options certainly. These guys where also running the Radium 20K SE(single ended) bulbs. Radium does not come in a 20K DE(double ended
) bulb.
But, you get more light out of a DE bulb(or PAR) vs. a SE bulb. And DE bulbs are HQI and have a soft start system to increase bulb life.
I hope this helps. Oh, average distances from frags to bulbs where anywhere from 12-20 inches.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Better yet, get the lumatek ballast and you are only limited to swithing bulbs and flipping a switch on the ballast!!!!AWESOME!!!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Tom - what are the total T5 watts on the Orbit hood you're thinking of? I have my 96 watts of T5s on a couple hours before & after the HQI is on, but they also stay on during the 7 hours my HQI is on, for a total of 246 watts for 7 hours.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Terry,
WOW! You are blasting that tank with light man!!!! I did not know you had that much above your tank. We are very close to each other on terms of wattage! Just I need a bit more eye pleasing blue to my tank!
Actually this color is very natural. waiting to get the WORKING IceCap ballast to do a comparison and post pics!

tnwillia

Thanks Todd, that's what I was after... I've got all soft & LPS now and really like that. Going to do some SPS but the LPS will be my main thing. So, I'll stay with the 150s I'd planned on. I've never been to any of these events, just wondering how they did things in such a short time for such a short time event.

Terry... my RSM hood is 6 T5s at 39w for 234 out running a 9 hr day now. The Outer Orbit has 4 T5s at 39w for 156 and 2 150HQI for 300 total 456. I'm going to walk that time up slowly. I'll keep my 9hr on the T5s and wstill working out the HQIs thinking 6 to 8 hours at final. I'm doubling my current light with the new lights. Also ordering the phoenix 14K 150 bulbs for it as well.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Todd - it's enough for my mixed tank for sure! I had thought about the Lumatek ballast to get a 250 HQI in my Orbit, but the 150 hoods have an internal ballast and I'm not sure I'd want to mess with the wiring. Also not sure if the hood is designed for the heat of a 250 HQI - not sure if the only difference in the Orbit 250 HQI hoods is an external ballast, or if they also have increased the cooling fan capacity. But, I'm happy with what I have so no need to spend more on lighting.

Tom - sounds great!