Red spot things on glass

jtw414

So, I noticed today that there are a bunch of tiny red spot things about the size of small grains of sand on the glass of my tank. They have tiny hair like appendages that make the whole thing star shaped. If anyone has any idea as to what these are I would be appreciative. I tried to get pics but my camera wouldn't focus on the spots.

leebca

Not going to be able to likely help on this. I think RS has a Reef Forum where you might find someone with knowledge about non-fish matters. I'd recommend a post there and with a photo if you can get one.

Good luck!

Val

I'm not a photography expert by any means, but some posters have said they used a magnifying glass to get macro shots if they don't have a macro setting on their camera. It's worth a shot.

1. are they moving around
2. i just bought a piece of live rock and it had about 7 red balls/dots......very small ones........and i asked the worker there if these were bad to have and he said they were good. he said they were some sort of calcium thing

so if they are what im thinking of its a good thing

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Moving this thread to the hitchhiker forum as it's not related to fish diseases & treatments. :)

jtw414

Well, I've tried everything I can think of to get a pic, but it just comes out all blury. None of the spots move. The red spot part seems fixed to the glass while the "hair like appendages" just wave in the current. I can brush them off and they just drift off in the current only to have more on the glass the next day. I'll keep trying for a pic. Thanks for the response.

Shamus

Here's something I've found that helps with taking pics of things on the glass (at least it worked for me). Put something like a ruler or pencil right by the glass - it tricks the camera in trying to focus on the pencil and then you can usually get the glass critter in focus in the same frame. Hope that helps in terms of taking a pic...