Red Sea water storage in EGYPT

Hi All,

i am from Egypt as you might know :) . after the 25th Jan revolution , salt water importing became very rare so i am stuck with no water change for 3 months !!!
luckily i had a turf filter which helps allot in the water quality but 3 months are tooooooooo long so i started to bring water from the Red Sea ( 2 hours car drive from home) 100 Liter at a time. i have 200 Liter reef tank.

the Question is can i store like 500 Liters or so in container with perfect flow , water movements, aeration and keeping the salinity stable ???

Thanks
Wesam Swailem
Cairo Egypt

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have stored ro/di sw for up to 2 months no problems... but water from the sea... that could be another thing... I would guess if that is the only choice you have - if it still looks good... no algae bloom, it could be ok.

You can't buy salt anywhere in Egypt or have it shipped in?

Here a RS members that makes his own salt - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...y-plywood-fiberglass-build-59.html#post896386

Last edited:
Thanks Nanoreef :)

sure there is normal salt bur the reef or marine salt is not available any more and shipping coast a hell of money

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
you are very welcome -I did mean reef or marine salt... here in the states you can ship a bucket of salt 2,000 miles for $17

what gas cost for a 2 hours trip?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd be very cautious storing "Live" sea water. The problem is there is a whole wealth of Living Organisms in the Sea Water and I doubt you'll be able to keep it all alive in storage.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Is drying/evaoprating a bunch of it an option......and then remixing with fresh RO/DI? not sure if you get enough salt from drying it on a 1 gallon to 1 gallon basis but......

*Disclaimer: the above may be an extremely stupid statement but please don't hate, just trying to come up with ways to help!

Thanks