Red Sea S-650 - Dave's marine adventure

Oxylebius

Finally the clown introduction went without a hitch. @Oxylebius had advised get a smaller ocellaris to go with the big one so I may have taken it a bit too literally as you can see. There has been no aggression so really pleased that has worked out.

Dave

The best way to do it to minimize aggression, IMHO. As you know there are many ways to introduce two fish you want to pair up, but in this case the larger female won't feel as threatened with a smaller fish around and the smaller male is forced to be submissive b/c of the significant size difference. So, they tend to fall naturally into their intended roles based on their size.

DaveR11

As last week's update was fish orientated I thought this week I would do something on the invertebrates in the tank so it is going to be the hard corals. What has worked and what hasn't.

Firstly the failures. I've lost 3 Acroporas. I think this may have been down to lack of water changes when I put my back out. Still I have 13 other Acro frags that are showing signs of growth. Here is one of my favourites (with its own crab....). My LFS thinks I'm a bit weird as I search through the Acros for those frags that have crabs. If it looks good and has a crab then it gets on my wish list.

I also have Pavona that never seems to have settled in the tank.

Some of my corals are not as colourful as in the shop but I'm never clear if this is due to my husbandry or the fact that the coral tanks in the LFSs are always lit with LEDs and lots of blue light....

So what has done OK. Well the Montiporas have done pretty well. I'm still struggling with the nudibranchs which has arrested the growth on my capricornis. You can see the damage on the middle monti cap in this picture.

The wretched slugs tend to hide underneath the plate making them very tricky to remove. They have also attacked my M. danae and M. spongodes but have not touched the digitata, orientalis or hirsuta.

The Euphyllias have their own rock and whilst they don't seem to have grown much seem pretty happy. They, along with most of the rest of the LPS, get target fed Mysis or krill about once a week.

So what has done best. Well one of my first corals Seriatopora guttatus has grown really well.

The Favites war coral has done really well too.

And finally I really like Acans.....

What would I do differently? Well think more carefully about where to place corals. Initially only buy those I really like. I think initially I rushed to buy lots of frags to fill up the tank and got a few drab, rubbishy ones.

DaveR11

Looking really good, Dave! I'm drooling over here, waiting patiently to get my parameters in check to start adding corals. I love Acans!

Been watching your thread. Keep us posted on how your tank goes. Your blenny looks great!

DaveR11

Just a quick post to say I got my LED upgrade. Picked it up Wednesday night and put it together tonight. Here are a few picks....

The chassis complete with AI Hydras

The LEDs working and the old T5s on the floor...

The tank

The other news is my copperband is out of QT and in the DT. He got chased a lot by the tangs for the first few days but is mostly ignored now. I need to have a close look at him over the weekend as my Acans have been closed up for 2 days now and I've seen him picking at them....

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Really nice addition on the leds Dave and love your cooperband he is looking great !

Bet you and the fish will enjoy sunrise/sunset :nessie:

Curious about the square-tailed/yellow-eyed tang..does darkening represent decreased stress? Curious because mine is occasionally paler, less bluish. It seems happy as can be and is bossing it's other tank mates as usual but again, just curious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveR11

Curious about the square-tailed/yellow-eyed tang..does darkening represent decreased stress? Curious because mine is occasionally paler, less bluish. It seems happy as can be and is bossing it's other tank mates as usual but again, just curious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe Scott. Mine was very pale when I bought it from the LFS and continued to be pale in the quarantine tank. Once settled in the display tank he darkened up. I just introduced a copperband which the bristletooth took a big dislike to and when he was aggressive to the copperband he seemed to flush yellow for a few seconds. Everything is calmer now and he is darker again. The copperband may have to go back to the LFS though as it seems to be picking at my Acans and Duncans.... Need to spend some time this weekend watching.

Wow we must be on the same wavelength Dave..
Just got back from my lfs with a pretty new brain coral and..wait for it..a copper band..
Lol he and the tang seem happy together and so far the cb is eyeballing the few aptasia I have.
<cross fingers>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42dcac7b342e1c66e8310511080e47b0.jpg
d043d531dcb00bf72fd70699fbdf675f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTimmons

Must be CBB season. I have one in QT for 3 weeks now. Had been hesitant to post him for fear of jinxing myself. Eating like a champ. Was fighting an unknown tang for mysis at the LFS when I asked to see it fed. Good luck fellas! CBB is one of my wife's favorites but if he has a fancy for Acans it will be time for a come to Jesus meeting!

DaveR11

I was going to write something about the soft corals I have this week but events have rather overtaken that. I got a call from my LFS on Wednesday to say my Red Sea LEDs were being delivered. Luckily Wednesday is their late night opening so after work I made the trek over there. I managed to get out of the shop without getting a coral fix but the shock from the LEDs was pretty bad for the credit card...

I got home and after something to eat I started unpacking the lights. Everything was well packed and I started following the instructions. On opening the first Hydra I realised they were painted black. I looked at the boxes and they were all labelled as black, implying that there were white units as well. As I had ordered a white unit to go with my tank I stopped construction until I could speak to my LFS and Red Sea. Later in the evening I looked at the Red Sea video and they seemed to be black units in their white trim set up so I was confused. So on Thursday morning I had a quick chat with @RedSeaKev and he reassured me that is was only the trim that was white. So Thursday night I got everything completed. The construction was very straight forward. Four screw fix the chassis together and then 2 screws and a bracket fix each Hydra. I had it finished in maybe 30 minutes.

The networking took a little longer. I downloaded the Android App and found the WiFi key for my router and got the first Hydra working. It asked to do a firmware update which I let it do. I then switched on the other 3 units but because they were running the old firmware the upgraded unit couldn't find them. They have a parent / child set up with one controlling the others. So I set up one of the 3 news ones as a parent and quickly got the other two working off that one. I had light again! I played with the settings a bit on my phone and on my computer and then it was time for bed.

@RedSeaKev had posted that Red Sea had done a profile for the lights which mimics the reef spectrum of the T5 so I emailed Kev and also asked about getting the single light working on the same parent / child group as the others. Kev duly emailed back and all are now talking to each other and I'm running the Red Sea profile with a little Red and Green added.

So first thoughts on the lights. Well they certainly run cooler. I liked the 'gull wing' look of the T5s but it is easier working in the tank now as I just move the mesh cover I've added and I'm in. No more lifting up the wings. The tank looks more blue than it did but some of the corals have more 'pop'. Too early to say how the corals feel about it but the fish certainly appreciate the slow sunset rather than the abrupt cut off with the T5s. The tank is running cooler too.

My other big news in the tank is that the copperband is going to have to go. I've been watching him all weekend and he is definitely snacking on my Acans. He is picking on 3 of them but all are pretty closed up. I thought he was going after my Duncans too but they are looking good today. My Favites war coral is also closed up but not seen him going for them.

I'm going to swap him for another copperband they have that is about the same size. It is a real shame has he is quite a character. He follows me up and down the tank, is not scared when I'm working in the tank and I reckon I could get him hand feeding. He is so comical when he is searching the rocks for a snack. You can see him looking this way and that with his eyes and I've seen him turn himself upside down in a cave.

Lets hope the replacement is less hungry for LPS but maintains the same engaging character....

Oxylebius

Hey Dave, make sure the copperband is actually picking at the acans and not any pods or nuisance pests. I you swap fish, I hope it works out.

BTimmons

Seems so odd that they don't send the white units with the white fixtures. May be because they won't have blue, red and grey fixtures for the other owners out there if they make the kits for those colors.

DaveR11

Cool upgrade Dave ! Tank looks phenomenal, how are the corals taking the change to LED?

Thanks StirCrayzy.

Too early to say I think on the corals. Certainly some of the Acros, Montiporas and Euphyllias look more colourful under the LEDS but not seeing a big increase in polyp extension. Will be interesting to look at the growth over time. The only big effect at the moment is on my Acans which are all closed up but I think that is down to the copperband pecking at them. If I can catch him he will go back into the Quarantine tank and I can see if the Acans recover.... The LFS I bought him from have offered to swap him so I will try another as he has been such a character since I added him to the tank.

DaveR11

Right first off the copperband - I'm convinced he is eating my Acans. I've not had chance to either catch him and move him back to the QT or partition him off in the Acan free zone on the right side of the DT. I hope @BTimmons and @Scott Conoly are having more luck than me. Such a shame as he is a cracking fish. He spots me moving in the room and swims up and down the front glass begging for food. I reckon I could easily get him hand feeding. I hope he is not too difficult to catch this weekend....

So I've had the LEDs for over a week now. I'm seeing signs of new coral growth on some of the Acros and my Monti caps are growing again, but this could be because I've been trying to clear out the montipora slugs (201 and counting). I do think the light is a bit too blue at the moment. I will play around with the different channels this weekend. Many of the corals have more 'pop' than under the T5s but it does feel a bit too blue and sterile. Also it is more difficult for my camera to get the white balance and exposure correct. I have had to play around in the Lightroom software more than I did under the T5s. Nothing I can't get used to. Still some of the corals that looked a bit drab look much nicer under the LEDs, particularly the green corals. See what you think....

It is looking like I'm using much less water from the ATO but probably need a couple of weeks to be sure. The chiller has not kicked in so far and I'm looking forward to a summer where the lounge won't be like a sauna!

The two leopard wrasses have settled in brilliantly. They are nice and plump now and nothing seems to bother them. Even the loony tangs don't phase them with their manic charging about. The two clowns have settled well and the big clown will fight for her spot at the algae feeder even with the bristletooth.

Happy reefing,

Dave