Red Sea S-650 - Dave's marine adventure

DaveR11

After reading this forum for the past 6 months and (hopefully) soaking up some of your collected wisdom and experience I ordered a Red Sea S-650 from my (fairly) local shop Cambridge Coral Tech three weeks ago. I was told it would be a 4-6 week wait - plenty of time to move into the new house and get settled. I got a call from them this week (week 3) to say Red Sea were ready to deliver.. I now have to get everything tidied away in the new place (I moved in at the weekend) so that I have space for the tank.... I gather I also need to have three strong friends on hand to move the tank around the house!

I'm really looking forward to getting back into having an aquarium again and there are so many inspirational tanks and their owners here on this forum from around the world.

I have seen Red Sea's set up videos and have read many of the tank histories on here but I have a few questions regarding the S-650 set up:

• I know I need to leave a 6" or 15cm gap behind the tank but how much space, if any, do I need to leave on the right hand side to access the down-flow valve or can this be adjusted and serviced from inside the cabinet?
  • I have seen comments on here regarding the stock skimmer and it being difficult to set up. Do S series owners generally swap the Red Sea skimmer out and use a third party skimmer? If so any recommendations for brands available in the UK?
  • When mixing salt water for water changes what sort of containers are people using? I was wondering about using a household cold water header tank. They are good enough for human water consumption but are they good enough for marine organisms?
Many thanks in advance and I will post pictures once the tank has arrived.

Dave

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Congrats on the RSM S-650....You are jumping in DEEP this time :scuba:
Has to be very exciting :woohoo:And We are excited that you have started a thread so we can see your tank & follow your progress :yeehoo:

Some of the BIG TANK owners will enjoy helping you...I just wanted to get subscribed to your tank thread. :D
How much LR are you getting & where from?
A tank that BIG deserves a very beautiful rockscape.
Looking forward to seeing it!
Very BEST WISHES.....:cruiser:

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Dave., the space to the left and right of the aquarium really helps with access to the weir control valve and filling the R/O water storage which is on the left hand side, I would follow our recommendations if you can, you can drop me an email uk.info@redseafish.com . as for the C Skim, its actually very easy to set-up and is also a very competent skimmer, as your based in the UK I can help you if you have issues, I would simply let it settle and break in for a few days before looking to fine adjustments being made, initial settings, air control valve fully open, water outlet fully open, adjust water inlet using the system ball valve to get an Air Water interface 50% of the way up the view window in the collection cup

DaveR11

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Diana - firstly your tank story is an inspiration, thank you for replying to my thread. I love your flower pot spawning clowns!

As for the live rock and how much I'm hoping to visit my LFS on Wednesday evening after work as it is their late opening night and get all the other bits I need - sand, salt, test kits, refractometer, RO unit, heaters. They are not keen on live rock in the shop and are promoting one of the live rock alternatives. I can see the pros and cons of both. As a biologist by training the thought of all the extra critters I might get with the real thing is exciting but I work as a conservationist so that part of me worries about using the real thing. Then there are all those not so nice hitch hikers.... Might go with a mix.... I've also been pondering different methods of connecting rock and making a scape. Been reading a lot on the aesthetics of aquascaping.....

Red Sea Kev - thanks for the advice. There should be plenty of room on the left side for RO water and I can manage a human's width on the right side I think for the valve. Planning to put it in the corner of the lounge but still sorting things out after the house move. Any idea whether you will be delivering over the Easter period? I'm going to need at least a few more days to sort out room in the house. Will you be delivering either Good Friday or Easter Monday? I'm guessing not. In which case it will be sometime the week after. I will speak to Cambridge Coral Tech as well about delivery.

Many thanks,

Dave

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Dave, Normal delivery will be advised by the store, (Cambridge Coral Tech) these deliveries do not take place on Bank Holidays or Weekends sorry.

Joeys Tank

Welcome to the site, Dave!! Congrats on the 650.

I am new to the hobby and started with the 650 and have loved it.

The left side will need more room than the right which allows you to add top off water (but it sounds like this is your plan). On the right side, as mentioned, is the flow valve. Don't be deceived into thinking you only need enough room to reach back and adjust the valve. I haven't had to do this yet, but there are times when you may need to access the valve and take it out. This is nearly impossible if you can only get your arm back there.

I am still going with the stock skimmer. While it does start off tempermental, I believe it is a result of low nutrients in a newly established tank. Once the tank gets stocked, the skimmer works well, although a tad bit on the noisy side (considering everything else is very quiet).

Red Sea will send the system with one plastic hose clamp on each fitting. I highly encourage you to buy extra hose clamps off of the internet and double clamp each fitting. The main area which causes problems is the line from the return pump. As you clean the sump and move the return pump around, the clamp may fail and result in about 15 gallons of water spraying up out of the sump. Double clamp just in case one fails. Speaking of the return pump, while some users remove the black sponges (I leave mine in), the black sponge under the return pump reduces its noise but will need to be cleaned periodically. This is why I keep moving my return pump (perhaps I need to find a different way of silencing the pump, hmmmmm).

As far as using containers to RO/DI and mix up salt, I use 30 gallon trash cans :) You will get some silicates added to the tank during the first month or two because of the plastic cans but diatoms will bloom/consume and then you will be good to go.

DaveR11

Hi Dave, Normal delivery will be advised by the store, (Cambridge Coral Tech) these deliveries do not take place on Bank Holidays or Weekends sorry.

No worries Kev, I have been thinking about this for 6 months so a few more days won't matter and it gives me more time to sort the house out after moving in. Need to arrange 3 strong friends to carry the tank into the house as well!

DaveR11

Welcome to the site, Dave!! Congrats on the 650.

I am new to the hobby and started with the 650 and have loved it.

The left side will need more room than the right which allows you to add top off water (but it sounds like this is your plan). On the right side, as mentioned, is the flow valve. Don't be deceived into thinking you only need enough room to reach back and adjust the valve. I haven't had to do this yet, but there are times when you may need to access the valve and take it out. This is nearly impossible if you can only get your arm back there.

I am still going with the stock skimmer. While it does start off tempermental, I believe it is a result of low nutrients in a newly established tank. Once the tank gets stocked, the skimmer works well, although a tad bit on the noisy side (considering everything else is very quiet).

Red Sea will send the system with one plastic hose clamp on each fitting. I highly encourage you to buy extra hose clamps off of the internet and double clamp each fitting. The main area which causes problems is the line from the return pump. As you clean the sump and move the return pump around, the clamp may fail and result in about 15 gallons of water spraying up out of the sump. Double clamp just in case one fails. Speaking of the return pump, while some users remove the black sponges (I leave mine in), the black sponge under the return pump reduces its noise but will need to be cleaned periodically. This is why I keep moving my return pump (perhaps I need to find a different way of silencing the pump, hmmmmm).

As far as using containers to RO/DI and mix up salt, I use 30 gallon trash cans :) You will get some silicates added to the tank during the first month or two because of the plastic cans but diatoms will bloom/consume and then you will be good to go.

Thanks for the advice Joey (great tank by the way) - I started re-reading your thread and saw the bit about the clip on the return pump pipe failing and you losing water so thanks for the heads up. I think I will try the plastic header tank idea. I've still got to decide where and how to set up the RO unit but planning to visit the LFS after work one night this week so will speak to them about it.

Salty150

If it matters, Red Sea has stated that it is releasing a new version of the Max S with LED lighting (and other updates I am sure?) in the next few months or so...

DaveR11

If it matters, Red Sea has stated that it is releasing a new version of the Max S with LED lighting (and other updates I am sure?) in the next few months or so...
Not seen any info beyond what was released last year. Where was the news posted?

Salty150

I found this from the Red Sea YouTube channel -

Red Sea 2 weeks ago:

Dear Mari,

We are working on our new MAX E LED and MAX S LED retro fit, but it will take us a few more months to be ready and bring it to all the markets.

I can Promise you that it is well worth waiting for.

So, it looks like it is going to be a retro fit to the existing Max S...

Along with a new Max S system with the LEDs included:

Steve Halls 2 months ago

+Red Sea To clarify the above comment, the post refers to the planned launch of our all-new MAX-E and MAX-S LED complete reef aquarium systems, and not to a stand-alone LED lighting unit.

If you go to 3:25 of this video - it shows the new LED for the S series:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
sidebar - if you don't know this... I can tell you Steve Halls is one of Red Sea's senior managers & a longtime RS member with many many post here

DaveR11

Thanks guys. I think I'll give Red Sea a ring tomorrow. I've paid half the cost of the 650 already so not sure where this leaves me. I want to start a tank but equally the idea of a decent LED system that I don't have to buy as an upgrade is very tempting.

DaveR11

I found this from the Red Sea YouTube channel -

Red Sea 2 weeks ago:

Dear Mari,

We are working on our new MAX E LED and MAX S LED retro fit, but it will take us a few more months to be ready and bring it to all the markets.

I can Promise you that it is well worth waiting for.

So, it looks like it is going to be a retro fit to the existing Max S...

Along with a new Max S system with the LEDs included:

Steve Halls 2 months ago

+Red Sea To clarify the above comment, the post refers to the planned launch of our all-new MAX-E and MAX-S LED complete reef aquarium systems, and not to a stand-alone LED lighting unit.

If you go to 3:25 of this video - it shows the new LED for the S series:

Thanks Salty - I'd seen the video but not heard any more news on the upgrades....

Salty150

I am sure they wouldn't mind you waiting to upgrade to the new S 650...

I am "sure" there will be some upgrades to the new S 650 other than just the lights - like they did to the new C series when they refreshed it, etc...

Let us know what you find out tomorrow!

Salty150

Red Sea is going to be at some large trade show in Colorado I believe in three weeks...

Would be interesting to see what they are displaying.

DaveR11

I am sure they wouldn't mind you waiting to upgrade to the new S 650...

I am "sure" there will be some upgrades to the new S 650 other than just the lights - like they did to the new C series when they refreshed it, etc...

Let us know what you find out tomorrow!
Will do!