Red Sea Max Problem-Black wrap around bottom of tank coming off!

alber197

Hey everyone! This is my 1st post in the red sea max forums. I have a 130d that has been up and running for about 4 months now (I'll post some pictures soon!). Anyway, I noticed today the black plastic that wraps around the bottom of the tank is coming apart in the front corners (did my best to get some pictures below). I'm little worried this could have some bad consequences for my tank! Has anyone had this happen, does the plastic hold the tank together or just there for looks?

Thank you!!

pic 1.jpg

pic2.jpg

alber197

Its actually appears to be dried silicon, I'm pretty diligent about keeping everything clean and there's no way there would be that much salt creep in each side. I'll ask red sea, thank you so much for your help!

alber197

hmm, I'm at a loss for what it is then! If it is salt creep that means my tank is leaking from the bottom, is that possible and only that little bit of damage so far?

ErnestoC

Isn't that salt? That would be normal... remember water evaporates and when you clean your tank, add fish, add corals.. some water drops sliding from your glass and it goes to those areas evaporating and leaving only salt.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome - Avaid should be of some help...

Just guessing... but I have seen many post... where there was some salt condensation from under the hood, that seeped ... have seen it on my tank... I doubt it's a leak... if you apply a bit of water, does it appear to disolve ? or from a wc splash...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
also don't know... how the rim/base is applied... but if there is some silicone it could just be a bit much... but a gap of like 1/8" is normal on all the tanks... if this helps...

the black plastic isnt plush up against the glass and i get salt in the corners too. it actually comes from water running down the sides of the glass and catching in between the plastic and glass after i had my hands in my tank. next day it is really noticable as it dries up. == you might not have the same issue but possible you do.

dizzyg

looks like salt creep to me?

try adjust the DT water level, I find if I dont keep mine a little lower I get salt creep like that, but I do run eheim pumps instead of the stock RSM ones

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Alber 197, don't think this is anything to get concerned over, the top and bottom plastic trims are essentially for cosmetic purposes.

The glass aquarium is formed first and then the trim sets are glued in place.

I would monitor but I don't suspect any future issues.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for the reply mate ! Good to see you posting in the club Kev !

sidebar for anyone new Kev works for Red Sea in the UK