Red Sea Max 250 AI Sol Retrofit

FCatCH76

I see that now, good you had me worried..lol. I just had my cat knock my AI nano into my 30 and although it still works (just needs the programming to be reset) I worried you wouldsuffer the same fate without the middle secured.

ho02ody

Hey wingman
How's the sol install?? Any issues yet? How are you finding the 70/no optics?? Would you recommend this install??
As you can tell I'm pretty eager if it works well
Regards

wingman6

Hey wingman
How's the sol install?? Any issues yet? How are you finding the 70/no optics?? Would you recommend this install??
As you can tell I'm pretty eager if it works well
Regards

Hey thanks for the inquiry. So far so good. I do notice the tank seems a bit more dim in general running no optics (talking about on the rocks) but the overall tank seems to get more all around. For the best light i would guess you could DIY and do one single heatsink with better spacing, but i think this has worked out great.

Right now running no optics and all corals seem happy. I still have the 70 optics just in case i change my mind. Temperature are definitely lower and i'm sure my next PGE bill will be much better

Also, i have my rock pretty high in the tank, if yours was lower, i'm sure you couuld use the 70s with less lighting. Took a bit to get use the the tank looking "dim" compared to the stock bulbs.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

wingman6

Just another quick update. So i still had been thinking the coverage was a bit narrow, even with no optics and had the power up to about 70%. I thought about it a bit more and realized that the white cover on the units actually limits the spread with no optics as the angle the light can spread can only be as wide as the openings. I decided to remove the white covers all together and what a difference. The tank looks way brighter and i was able to drop the power to 60% without making anything look more dark.

tnwillia

Once you removed the cover, do you have any reason to worry about the LEDs falling/working off the board, did the cover pressure keep them in place?

ho02ody

Thank you for the update wingman,
Did the removal of the white bit require tools or breaking a seal? After paying all that money I don't want to pull em apart! That's "IF" I get them......
You are selling the idea to me though.
Have you noticed better coral extension or colouring or growth since the install??
Regards
Dan

wingman6

When you pen the AI sols you'll see that the "discs" whch contain the LEDs are screwed onto the heatsink. I would guess there is some thermal paste under that or the LEDs but doubt it does anything to hold on the LEDs. I guess i COULD see the optics keeping the LEDs on as the optics sit right on the LEDs and then white cover sits over those, but hard to tell if they are actually doing anything. My vote would be not really.

As far as breaking a seal, no. There wasn't anything that basically showed the case was opened. Also, given they are ok with people changing out optics, i would guess there isn't much they could say if you opened up the unit. The only tool needed was a hex wrench.

I think the corals are doing better but hard to tell as i didn't have many for too long prior. I will say that my Aussie duncan literally had like 5 heads show up within a week. Coincidence? maybe. regardless i'm pretty happy with the power savings, reduction in heat, and shimmer effect. not to mention the ability adjust the light how i want.

wingman6

47c6c0fa-d382-7299.jpg

47c6c0fa-d38f-2f95.jpg

wingman6

Tank was looking great but no longer have it. Ended up getting a 180 gallon tank. Right before I sold it everything was really starting to grow again. I'm guessing the Vega's will be pretty sweet with a lot of the color options. I ended up getting radion's as the Vega's were not out yet.

Acanman

Dang man. Im close to giving up on the 250 and getting me "real" tank soon too lol. I think LED retrofitting is the end of the line for people lol.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Did you look at the Ecoxotic? My local AI rep actually recommended strips as opposed to fixtures in hoods like ours.....
They are dimmable and controllable.

Dang man. Im close to giving up on the 250 and getting me "real" tank soon too lol. I think LED retrofitting is the end of the line for people lol.

Acanman

Did you look at the Ecoxotic? My local AI rep actually recommended strips as opposed to fixtures in hoods like ours.....
They are dimmable and controllable.

Im using local led guy. If that doesnt work im building my badass dream 265 gal tank and ditching the AIO junk.