Red Sea Max 130D Skimmer

ZebbyD

Hello all

Hope everyone is well

I am having a few issues with the skimmer in my 130D. Its seems after about 7 to 8 hours of operating, it stop sucking in air. This problem is resolved temporarily, but then will come back after another 7 hours or so.

I had had the lot out, checked the pump, the airline, the lot, and nothing seems to be wrong.

Anyone heard of this problem before?

It seems confusing as the system of sucking in air is so basic. I can't see why there would be a problem.

Any help would be great.

Kind regards

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary & RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Love see you start a tank thread & post us some pics !

If you have not already seen this post #576 in this link.... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../44439-glenns-new-rsm-130d-39.html#post727173

might read over it & see if anything there will help...

How old is the tank? If under warranty (less than a year, might drop Pinky an e-mail & see if she has any ideas or would send you another pump).

Do you live in the states? If so Pinky your Red Sea contact & we can give you her contact info.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome ZebbyD! It might be a pump or pump impeller problem, but strange that it would run 7 hours and then stop. Be sure to keep the end of the airline out of the water. You might even try replacing the air valve with a low cost plastic one from your LFS. Some in the past have found a different air valve gave better results than the one that came with the tank.

When it's working, try sucking up a cup of hot water by putting the end of the airline in the cup. It should pull water out of the cup if the impeller is spinning properly, as well as help clean out any dried salt that may have built up in the nipple that attaches the airline to the pump body.

ZebbyD

Hi all

Thank you for the warm welcome!!

Great to see a number of responses.

I actually live in the UK, so I think I will have to use the European RSM contact. The tank is six months old, but bought off ebay, so I may have lost the warranty. I've had a reed tank for about eight years now, but recently moved house so purchased the RSM instead. Love the tank and everything with it, just this little problem is annoying.

I've had all the airline off and cleaned it through with hot water, but I have tried letting it suck hot water through. I'll give that a go tomorrow as I am away from the tank at the moment.

I'll also try using a cheaper air valve and see what results I get.

Thank you all for your advice.

imaccat

ZebbyD,

Hi and welcome,

The UK rep for Red Sea is RedSeaKev here on RS if you need to contact him.

Some piccies of your tank would be good and good luck with the skimmer.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Replacing the pump would be fairly inexpensive, if it works for 7 hours & then stops... I am guessing ...

it does what? Cools down & then starts working again?

If so, I would think it's a pump going bad...

United Kingdom & Ireland
Red Sea Arcadia UK,
8 io Centre
Salbrook Road, Redhill, Surrey.
RH1 5GJ, United Kingdom
kevind@redseafish.com

Here in the states... you can get a replacement pump for like $17

Red Sea Max Replacement Circulation Pump
Our Price: $17.30

Red Sea Max Replacement Circulation Pump

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good point Glenn. It may heat up after several hours and jam or just quit till it cools down. Wrong pump links though - it's the more expensive skimmer pump that is the issue, not the low cost circulation pumps.

About $58.90 here in the US - not sure about a UK price.

Red Sea MAX Replacement Protein Skimmer Pump

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
oops I referred to a circulation pumps cost - good catch Terry !

What I would do, if you want to keep the stock skimmer - is buy one from another member here in the club, that upgraded to another skimmer.

I bought a backup one - brand new skimmer & pump from a member that went to the 9002 skimmer & got it for $35 shipped.

I bet one of the good mates would sell you one... at a reasonable price !

:cheers:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's the same pump, only the 2 skimmer bodies are different.

The link I posted above (post #8) says the pump is for both 130 and 130D. You may need a UK version to be sure it has the proper electrical plug for the power center.

echopiece

I had a problem with my 130D skimmer pump last week. Come to find out, mine is doing the exact same thing as yours. I would clean everything out with hot water and then after 12 hrs (in my case) it would stop sucking. Needless to say, my new $60 skimmer pump just arrived today :mad:

I took the air valve off completely and still no change. Something internally in the pump is messed up. My pump is like 15 months old, which is beyond the warranty period. Red Sea has that down to a science, lol. If this happens again, its 9002 time!

Leo

oops I referred to a circulation pumps cost - good catch Terry !

What I would do, if you want to keep the stock skimmer - is buy one from another member here in the club, that upgraded to another skimmer.

I bought a backup one - brand new skimmer & pump from a member that went to the 9002 skimmer & got it for $35 shipped.

I bet one of the good mates would sell you one... at a reasonable price !

:cheers:
WOULD YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE AN EXTRA PUMP FOR THE 130D? THAT I COULD PURCHASE