Red Sea max 130/130D rimless mod

Big Pete

I only had the glass bead on the front, the sides were part of the top trim, at least its off on the front of the display glass.

I am glad your happy with it as I said it looks really good.

Steve Lane

I was pondering on getting the netting to stop any fish leaping out but looking at a display tank in our local aquarium shop it takes something away from the aesthetics so I won`t be doing it.
I like the very clean lines it gives.

Big Pete

Yep i agree, Desmond posted a link to Ebay who were selling a mesh cover, its a good idea but i think the whole point of rimless is that its rimless.

cheers

Big Pete

Desmond

NO the link was posted for me :) I agree it takes away from the idea of going rimless being honest about it , but could come in handy if you have wrasse :)

Drs2140

It wasn't too hard it just took me a long time to get the rim off. It was like an hour long panic attack in fear of the glass breaking. I used a plastic tool that's used to remove silicon and caulk. Just took a lot of time and patience.

Jonny McC

Afternoon guys,

I just joined this forum for the very reason you set this thread up!
I'm keen to go led again (last tank was not RS) and in the next few days have to drain my RSMax 250 for a completely different reason so thinking should I do this mod at the same time! Pete, tank looks Awsome I'm just not sure my balls are big enough to try??

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Big Pete

So Jonny McC

Your balls are big enough, it looks great, i see you have the same set up as me, you are using a Deltec MC500 skimmer, i also noticed that you have removed the flap from the original hood, it really tidy's up the rear section of the tank.

did the top rim come off easy, i found that getting it started was the hard part, that's when you need big kahuna's , after that it was a breeze.

well done with the mod it looks great, BTW welcome to the forum, you will have a great time on here.

speak soon

Big Pete

Jonny McC

Thanks Pete.

I stood with the hack saw in my hand for a good 40 mins while asking the wife for reassurance (she replied with 'do whatever you want' & 'if your not sure, leave it alone') but so glad I finally removed it! Came off very easy which surprised me! The hardest/longest part was removing all the silicone! Yes I removed the RS skimmer almost as soon as I brought the tank! Deltec is much better although could do with a larger cup! & have now covered the back section with the lid!

Cheers for all the previous posts! They really helped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Pete

I know what you mean, I never mentioned it to my wife, I had several attempts over a few days, I would cut down the side then think no this is stupid.

Even when I removed it I expected to get up next Morning and see a floor full of water even although I had researched it for weeks, I done all the calculations, glass thickness, water pressure etc....

I now look at it and think it looks great and get nothing but positive comments from friends and family.

Cheers

Big Pete

Desmond

I know what you mean, I never mentioned it to my wife, I had several attempts over a few days, I would cut down the side then think no this is stupid.

Even when I removed it I expected to get up next Morning and see a floor full of water even although I had researched it for weeks, I done all the calculations, glass thickness, water pressure etc....

I now look at it and think it looks great and get nothing but positive comments from friends and family.

Cheers

Big Pete
ok anyone who can help me i would be very happy. This is driving me mad to get of i can figure out where i am going wrong with it. I cut bot sides but having huge trouble get the rim up . Anyone have some pictures before i put my fist through the door.I got radion mount now and hood is off. Need to get this done as sump is coming soon and need to wire all up so its ready. I am close to giving up on this mod :-(