Red Sea max 130/130D rimless mod

Steve Lane

I drained away about 10 gallon then replaced it when i was finished, Steve mine has been removed for some months now with no ill effect on the structure of the tank so far, and I do add so far, there is no bowing or anything like that.

Before I attempted this mod a did some calculations in terms of stress on the glass and the display holds approx 55 gallons, Red Sea made the glass 10mm thick if you take your high width and depth and multiply it up by the glass thickness you will find that those dimensions are good for 90 gallons of salt water, Red Sea have built in a safety factor of about 3.

If you look at the new Reefer series you will see that they increased the safety factor by making the glass 2mm thicker.

So my thinking right or wrong is that it should be okay, up to now it has been.

Cheers

Big Pete
I was actually calling you a $h!*@%d while I was doing it. :whip: I heard a crack and closed my eyes. It was`nt the main glass fortunately but I did check my shorts afterwards.:nekid:

Big Pete

Hi Oakley

I would be careful as the S500 is designed without the hood, the black rim on the max250 was there to support the hood , just check that removing the rim does not affect the integrity of the tank.

Cheers

Big Pete

Big Pete

I have read about this done on another site with no issues at all. I like the way you used the front of the hood also to cover up the back :) I suppose each to there own. If all fails there is always insurance lol
Hi Desmond

Insurance my friend that would be the last of my worries, good god I would be divorced her indoors would go crazy. ha ha

Desmond

Hi Desmond

Insurance my friend that would be the last of my worries, good god I would be divorced her indoors would go crazy. ha ha

LOL i am sure she would get over it when you send her out shopping when you were cleaning up the mess. Just thinking of something like that happening would give me the chills.I talked to a man in the marine store yesterday and he said the lip is merly to let the hood fit snug no other purpose it does not bear any weight and the tank is perfectly fine with it :)

Big Pete

That is good reassurance, yes I have lost a watchman gobie just after I did the mod, it never showed signs of jumping it was always in the sand then I came down one morning to find it carpet surfing with my two dogs looking at it thinking shall I eat it!!! what it is !!!

So far nothing else has left the tank

Desmond

It does not send to Norway.
I have a friend i can send it to :) Mind you no mods for now saving for wedding and just got a bill for 1k today for car so no fish stuff for a bit unless its small and she will go mad if i take the lid off as she likes it so wont play with fire just yet :)

Desmond

That is good reassurance, yes I have lost a watchman gobie just after I did the mod, it never showed signs of jumping it was always in the sand then I came down one morning to find it carpet surfing with my two dogs looking at it thinking shall I eat it!!! what it is !!!

So far nothing else has left the tank

Pete do you have the bracket for the radions ? or how do you hang them ?

Big Pete

Hi Desmond

I have the RSM mounting kit from Ecotech, it allows the Radions to hang at 8 inchesfrom the water which they say it the optimum height for them

Desmond

OK cool this is the one i was thinking of getting if and when i go ahead with making the tank rimless.

Steve Lane

20150820_1723421_zpsomfjqoj1.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
fyi - the original RSM 250 didn't have this "glass lip" if I remember right... it was added 9 months after they 1st came out, as a "splash guard"

Big Pete

Hi Steve

I thought this was the easiest part of the mod, I put a sharp blade down the inside of the glass between the bead and the display glass and it came away easy.

Sorry if a gave you some heart stopping moments but just look at your tank it looks great.

Just one question, are you happy with the mod?

Cheers

Big Pete

Steve Lane

Totally happy!
On the inside of the very topmost rim of the glass there is a minute bur, not sharp or anything just the finish of the glass. That was enough to make the blade slightly tilt and not seat flat on the glass....just enough to make it quite difficult. The glass that I was removing snapped 4 times as I slid the blade along.