Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks!
Here is a few more I took today of them.

2009111515.jpg

2009111513.jpg

200911158.jpg

FuEl

Hi Doni,

I have seen your fish at a fellow reefer's place & I must say they are impressive. Hope your fish start breeding again so that more fans can get their hands on such exclusive fish.

Just one question, how do you reduce the aggression between the perculas as they grow? I know mixing in other species like B&W ocellaris will help. I'm doing that at the moment but the perculas are still going for one another. Do I have to have them packed like sardines before they stop fighting?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
ToiletDuck - glad you enjoyed it :)

Fuel - It sounds like you have two males? Two males will fight... two females will fight to the death.
Putting the aggressive one in a breeder net for a few weeks helps. You are basically waiting for one of the two to become subordinate to the other and this may take a while. Sometimes a few days, sometimes several weeks.
The black and white is most likely more mature (possibly female?) and the other two want to be its mate.
Having enough space in your aqurium for the outcast to get away from the aggressor is very important.

FuEl

Hi Doni,

I mean growing out a group of perculas. I have a group which are about to show their third stripe. The thing is that ever since I have moved them to the growout tank they have been fighting non-stop and most of them have somewhat tattered fins. Does the plastic plant you use greatly reduce aggression? I've got about 60-80 fish in a 7 gallon section, is that density too sparse?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
What size are they? That sounds very dense to me. Tattered fins are bad so you will need to spread them out and remove the most aggressive fish to their own section.
I use 40 gallon breeders and toss a few tall plastic plants in. The plants tend to allow the aggressive fish to claim a small branch instead of an entire corner of the tank. It seems like it helps reduce aggression.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I was in the right place at the right time today and took a video and a few pics of my Picasso/Picasso spawning.

paleohead

I know you have heard this a hundred times but VERY, VERY impressive. I have raised several clutches of Bangaiis. Have even dabbled with shrimp. This is without a doubt the best thread I have ever viewed and read. I spent the day reading this thread from front to back. It was very enjoyable reading about your trials and tribulations in your endeavors. I wish you the best in your future endeavors also! I live in Wyoming having moved here from S.C. We have a daughter in Charlotte, NC and one in Greenwood, SC so we get home once a year or so. Would love to see your fish next time we get home if that is possible. Again thanks for opening your life and your passion to each one here! What you do is more invaluable than you may ever know!
TANKS again,
Gene and Grace Burns

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thank you both :)

Paleohead - thank you very much for your encouraging words. They are appreciated! I am glad to hear you enjoyed the thread.
Most any weekend (Sat or Sunday) is a good time to visit since I work during the week (at my other full time job).

MattCarm

Wow. I just took an hour starting from pg. 1 skipping around and looking at all the progress you've made! congrats!!

I know there is a waitlist for both snocasso/picasso but how much do you sell them for?

phirak

Welcome to RS!
This is the list from her site: donisreef.com
Snowcassos $200 each
Grade A Picassos $100-$150 each
Grade B Picassos $50-75 each
Grade C (normal striped/misbars) $15 each
I don't think she has a wait list anymore, you just need to keep checking every sat/sun as they go really fast!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Welcome to RS!
This is the list from her site: donisreef.com
Snowcassos $200 each
Grade A Picassos $100-$150 each
Grade B Picassos $50-75 each
Grade C (normal striped/misbars) $15 each
I don't think she has a wait list anymore, you just need to keep checking every sat/sun as they go really fast!

Correct :thumbup:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
That is a S. gigantea that I purchased from Reef Hot Spot.
It has never deflated and has grown a lot in the several months I have had it.

With that said, the other two gigantea's that I purchased at the same time ended up dieing. :(