Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

proenca

Doni : First let me congratulate you on your breeding scheme and such a pity you dont ship them to Europe. I would take a few Snowcassos off your hand ( or tanks )

I've read the whole thread ( over few hours spawn ) from the 1st post.

Has been utterly enjoyable to see you progress, from initial failures and bumps to a very sucessfull today.

Also very encouraging to the rest of "us", to promote breeding clownfish and common pitfalls you had and how you tackled them.

My sincere compliments to all your efforts!

Do consider shipping

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Doni : First let me congratulate you on your breeding scheme and such a pity you dont ship them to Europe. I would take a few Snowcassos off your hand ( or tanks )

I've read the whole thread ( over few hours spawn ) from the 1st post.

Has been utterly enjoyable to see you progress, from initial failures and bumps to a very sucessfull today.

Also very encouraging to the rest of "us", to promote breeding clownfish and common pitfalls you had and how you tackled them.

My sincere compliments to all your efforts!

Do consider shipping

Thank you for taking the time to read it all. I am very glad to hear you found it informative! Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!!

I am currently shipping to Hong Kong, Singapore, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.
Even after six seperate shipments (over 100 fish) to Hong Kong (a 40-44 hour transit), I have a 100% success rate so far! The warm summer months are key because they go to Alaska before getting exported over the Pacific. Alaska summer temps are mild.

As long as I do not need any special permits, I am willing to try shipping.

With that said, I am completely out of Snowcassos for 2-6 months and only have a few grade A's left. I mainly have grade B's now. This is due to selling large quantities at a time and my Picasso pair has not spawned in over two months! My sales will be very slow this winter. I made the mistake of moving them a few times plus I removed their huge haddoni anemone and replaced it with a S. gigantea....
Hind sight is 20/20... I should not have disturbed them so dramatically.

kobelka

Sorry to hear that doni. I wonder if you might hepl me with a question I cant seem to find the answer to. I have tried my hand at raising fry for the first time. The 100 or so fry I have are at day 9. A dozen or more have a head stripe as of this morning. I was wondering when I could try frozen cyclopeze for them. I am now giving them rotifers, and crushed fine hikari marine pellets. When are they old enough for cyclopeze?
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Congrats Dave!! :thumbup:

Their mouths are too small for cyclopeeze. Wait until they are older.. maybe at 1-2 months depending on their size. Feed it sparingly as it will polute the water quickly.

kobelka

Thanks Doni,
They sure are fun to watch change. Now I cant wait for my picassos to grow up! Do you still feed NHBBS or straight to dry foods now?
Dave

Doni,

Id like to get one fish, just one like :

M-IMG_2995.JPG

Note the orange dot in the white. Id like to get a helmet or sideburns with it.

lcstorc

When she sells them it is a WYSIWYG so you can choose what you want. Warning, they go really really fast. Get added to the mailing list at donisreef.com to find out when she puts them up for sale.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Dalilgrifith - I had a talk with the spawning Picassos and asked them to make a few babies to your spefications. I am pretty sure I saw them nod 'yes' as if to say 'okay'. :D

LOL.. seriously, I should have what you're looking for. Just keep checking the store to find the perfect one you like! :thumbup:

Dalilgrifith - I had a talk with the spawning Picassos and asked them to make a few babies to your spefications. I am pretty sure I saw them nod 'yes' as if to say 'okay'.

LOL.. seriously, I should have what you're looking for. Just keep checking the store to find the perfect one you like! :thumbup:

Well as long as they are in agreement, can they pump out two white bonnets too </sarcasm>

I just pulled the 30 perculas out of my 215 display tank and sold them off. I am redoing the tank and putting 3 carpets, red greend and blue. Maybe a tan/white striped. Going to give the tank another 6 months. I would have loved to keep those 30 percs b/c they were doing well together. I know I wont luck out like that again.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hummm.... I think I have a few similar to that one. I will upload them to the store this weekend!

kobelka

Hi Doni,
I was just wondering about #s of grade b or better coming from your two pairs, the first being the original picasso's, and the second pair being the snowcasso x onyx. Not that I want exact #s but does one pair pass on more picasso babies than the other? Way more or close to equal?
Just wondering,
Thanks
Dave

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The pic x pic pass more offsrping with coloration. That makes sense since the snow x onyx is diluted by 50%.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Here are a few photos of two pic x pic offspring that are from the first few spawns. They are around 1 yr 5 months now.

20091114addedfish4.jpg

20091114addedfish3.jpg

kobelka

Thanks doni,
Those two are stunning! The three that I got for my birthday are all doing really well. 2 are pairing up nicely and the single got a big perc girlfriend. The biggest one of the 3 has little to no black but the 2 smaller ones the white keeps spreading and the black is coming along great. I cant wait to see them when they are 1.5 years old. I am setting up several 30 gallon cube mini reefs to be their homes.
Thanks again,
Dave