Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

Triggerjay

Naaa... just give them red-neck names. LOL

LOL... I could see a Jeff Foxworthy joke originating from this statement...

You are WAY ahead of me Doni. I am still in the planning stages. You are at the moment of truth. I am going to start a chronicle of the system build, and stuff soon. Right now, its a bunch of empty tanks. My broodstock is currently in other systems. I have one pair in my reef tank, (My 6 year old pair), One pair in my fuge (55g, so they have plenty of room), and the Maroons are in megans 29g tank. The last pair I aquired, a reefer in my area was taking down their tank, and had a two year old pair. I got them for $24.00 for the pair. The Maroons were at the LFS, in different tanks, and I took a chance trying to pair them, but got lucky and they didn't kill each other, and my 6 year old pair have been paired for years. Oh, I also had to move my two RBTA's to my fuge, due to them moving all over my SPS tank, and the pair in there with them has found the RBTA's as a host. I figure its time for me to give something back to the hobby. I have killed so many things from the ocean. If I can only put one clownfish back out on the market, I have saved one clown from being pulled out of the ocean.

Jason

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF

You are WAY ahead of me Doni. I am still in the planning stages. You are at the moment of truth. I am going to start a chronicle of the system build, and stuff soon. Right now, its a bunch of empty tanks. My broodstock is currently in other systems. I have one pair in my reef tank, (My 6 year old pair), One pair in my fuge (55g, so they have plenty of room), and the Maroons are in megans 29g tank. The last pair I aquired, a reefer in my area was taking down their tank, and had a two year old pair. I got them for $24.00 for the pair. The Maroons were at the LFS, in different tanks, and I took a chance trying to pair them, but got lucky and they didn't kill each other, and my 6 year old pair have been paired for years. Oh, I also had to move my two RBTA's to my fuge, due to them moving all over my SPS tank, and the pair in there with them has found the RBTA's as a host. I figure its time for me to give something back to the hobby. I have killed so many things from the ocean. If I can only put one clownfish back out on the market, I have saved one clown from being pulled out of the ocean.

Jason

That is great Jason! You are going to be one very busy bee eventually!! Brave you are ;) I'll never have more than my one breeding pair. (Famous last words??) But I do want to keep it as fun as possible....and have time to work my full time job and cook dinner. LOL

Will you be shipping your babies or just selling to local people?

I figure its time for me to give something back to the hobby. I have killed so many things from the ocean. If I can only put one clownfish back out on the market, I have saved one clown from being pulled out of the ocean.
EXACTLY!! It should be a very rewarding feeling to 'give back' to the marine industry.

BarbMazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbMazz
Doni, if you've looked at my chronicle lately you'll know I'm NOT patient. lol :eek: :look:

However, I don't seem to be impatient for FISH, so waiting 3-6 months is most likely perfect for me!

Is it weird to get a pair from the same brood? lol :laughroll

Naaa... just give them red-neck names. LOL

How does Jimmy Bob and Kimmy Sue sound? :yehoo:

BarbMazz

Jason

Such a good thought, Jason. Good luck with your project.

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
i dont know if you have mentioned it yet.....the perculas when steadily breeding will be on a strict lating/hatching schedule. TEMPERATURE plays a serious role in laying and hatching. i had a 5 degree drop over 2 nights and the eggs didnt stick on the glass and the eggs were almost clear. when you remove the eggs i have heard not to expose the eggs to air as this will harm them. anyway 8 days should be your magic number for hatching. my percs lay every other thursday between 8-9pm, and the hatch at every other friday/saturday early morning 12midnight-1am. they will basically hatch 3 hours after lights out. since you are transferring them over to another hatchout tank you need to airate the eggs getting them to bounce up and down. this simulates the male blowing water on the befoer the hatch. i raised my first batch of percs ever and i had 2 survive and thats when i knew nothing. you will learn more every batch. if you need any help lemme know ill help you out as best as i can

Triggerjay

Will you be shipping your babies or just selling to local people?

One of my friends is a wholesaler, and said he will take all of them I can produce... He supplies most of the LFS'es in our region..So it will be pretty easy to get them to market. I will also prob give some away, and sell some locally. I may even try the shipping thing.. not sure yet though..I have to get everything set up, and get them producing before I think about that. I have a TON of free space in my basement for the cultures, broodstock system, hatching tanks, growout tanks etc. The main reason I have not started putting the broodstock system together is I am still undecided whether to keep the 30g breeder tanks as growout tanks, or divide them up for broodstock tanks. It seems that 10g tanks would be better suited to make a "system" out of than the work it will take to install black dividers in the 30g tanks...

I have been feeding my broodstock a homemade mush, to condition them for breeding, but in the cooler systems they are in (78*) I do not expect them to spawn. I will keep the broodstock system 85* to 88* to promote spawning. Seems they like it real warm... Raising the temperature can be used as a "trigger" for spawning, but I would devistate my reef if I tried that.. lol..

Jason

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thank you SeaHorseBT, Seafansar :)
Thanks for the offer to help GSellers :)

Jason, what a great opportunity. That rocks that you have a distributor so close :thumbup:
Good luck with the set up plans. That in itself would be a lot of work but tons of fun :)
I look forward to seeing LOTS of pics and details, details, details....

Gina

RS STAFF
Cool thread Doni!
I wish you much success with your babies!
Can't wait to see them after they hatch!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I snapped this top-down pic before going to work this morning... Bad pic but you can see approx how many eggs there are at 3 days old. I'm guessing approx 100 or so. :)

20080611Secondspawn3daysold.jpg

BarbMazz

See those two eggs on the lower left... kinda diagonal to one another? Yep, those!

Those two are mine. Make sure you keep track! Put a dot on them with a magic marker or something.

:laughroll