Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

BarbMazz

Doni's going to be rich! :D
I feel i am being neglected here. I posted dibs in your thread way before those ladies! But thats ok, I can be a gentleman and come after. :) Awesome video btw! Wow!

Frankie, you may step ahead of me in line. I can be a gentleman, too!

Frankie

RS STAFF
:D That very lady like of you Barb XXOO :) I was kidding around though. Let's let the poor girl get some babies raised first before stressing her out over who gets what. (Then i'll sneak in my dated post :p )

ASH

Wow Doni how exciting is this?!?!?! Great job!!!! I wish you the most luck with your babies....

You know you are totally my idol right LOL!!!!

Frankie

RS STAFF
This is a great information thread Doni. I will be using this for breeding my clowns one day. Thanks!

BarbMazz

:D That very lady like of you Barb XXOO :) I was kidding around though. Let's let the poor girl get some babies raised first before stressing her out over who gets what. (Then i'll sneak in my dated post :p )

lol... reminds me of kids elbowing each other behind their parents' backs!

Doni, you just tune us hooligans out, we'll be busy shoving each other around while you're raising some beautiful little babies. :D

bluespotjawfish

I'm getting too excited. I keep losing this thread and don't want to miss out! I don't get to have any babies, so I have to live vicariously through you!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Spawn II

:cry1:

Well, my attempt at raising #II failed.

Yesterday I pulled the eggs 1 day early because they had already begun to hatch (so much for the eight day mark) the night before and most were already gone.

I successfully got them into the nursery tank with heater, gentle airstone and it was completely blacked out for about 2 hours. All but maybe a dozen hatched (they turned white) so I had about 75 or so swimming around.
I added seived rotifers and some phyto plankton.. then added more phyto plankton. They were eating very well at first but about an hour later began twirling around and all eventually died.

I THINK I messed up with the very high PH of the live phyto and the mass quantities of rotifers that demanded a lot of oxygen. :dunno:

:cry1:

You can see their silver bellies filled with rotifers so I know they were eating well.
Tiny little buggers aren't they!

200806152houroldLarvae020.jpg

200806152houroldLarvae021.jpg

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I've read that there will be significant losses at first but I was still hoping for the best.
I'm learning though :thumbup:

Craig Manoukian

Interesting , eh Doni? No overfeeding, but over use of oxygen. Would adding oxygen compensate for the depletion of live rotifers and phyto?

Stacef

Im sorry Doni! But in this hobby, I think the only reason some of us are where we are...are from our mistakes to help us grow better the next time. Beck of luck to ya

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
is this stagnant water? i use a simple little sponge for air exchange....1 bubble per second roughly...that way the rotifers wont get sucked in but also utilizes air exchange and filtration. dont add so much phyto also...you only need to add enough phyto for them to get by. light green tint...

as for the 8 days the picasso's are probably their own wierd times
make sure u record the day and times they laid and estimate times of hatching

hope this helps sorry for the loss :(

kathywithbirds

aaawww, that sucks. Don't feel bad.

See if you can find out where Chris&Barb are hanging out these days. They live in DE and have successfully raised the lil buggers. BW saddlebacks anyway. She told me she went through a bunch of litters before they finally got it right.