Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

Do you know if peppermint or pistol shrimp can stop a clown from spawning ? I was looking into getting a pistol shrimp but would like to know first.

I've heard they won't breed with cleaner shrimp around but wasn't sure about these.

FYI, you would get more answers to your questions, from many of our many knowledgeable comrades, if you would create a new thread pertaining to your questions or problems. My old spawing pair of Perculas were exposed to nearly every type of commonly purchased shrimp, at some point or another, and never stopped spawing.

I did not want to start a thread for just this little question .  I'm fully aware that there are some very knowledgable people on rs but I figured Doni would know this because she knows a lot about clownfish.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Do you know if peppermint or pistol shrimp can stop a clown from spawning ? I was looking into getting a pistol shrimp but would like to know first.
I've never owned a pistol shrimp but peppermint and skunk cleaner shrimp would not 'prevent' clown fish from spawning. The only thing I would worry about would be the shrimp eating the eggs. I witnessed this once and have since removed all shrimp from the breeder tanks. Even though the clown fish would chase the shrimp away, over several days the shrimp would manage to eat the eggs; especially during the night.

Thats what I thought. I may steer away from a pistol then. But I did read somewhere about the cleaner shrimp. And if I find it I will send you the link.

Magick88

Hello Doni,

I have been lurking for a long time here and are a great fan :) you mentioned that you should know by now if Picasso coloration is passing onto offspring more effectively by a male or a female. I am very curious what the answer is. TIA for sharing

Magick88

Woodstock said:
Hi MagicK88 :) I think the female tends to contribute more of the extra white than the male.

Hi Doni,

Thank you for the prompt answer. I am really curious about Picasso and Snowflake genetics - it is definitely not a simple recessive trait as some claim, since you got some Picasso babies from Onyx/Picasso pairing.

Thanks,

M

BTW, you said at some point that too much shrimp in the diet makes shell of clown eggs too hard and it is then difficult for larvae to hatch. Did you mean table shrimp, or also mysis and brine shrimp? TIA

Woodstock

RS STAFF
BTW, you said at some point that too much shrimp in the diet makes shell of clown eggs too hard and it is then difficult for larvae to hatch. Did you mean table shrimp, or also mysis and brine shrimp? TIA

I am not really sure. That is just what I have read. I only use table shrimp when making homemade mush and not the other types. I am just careful to blend in other types of seafood so it is not only shrimp.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Doni, if I win the POTM this time, I WILL buy a pair of your clowns! I mean it this time!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
A few photos of one of my F1 female Snowcassos :)
She is "Uno's" daughter and has a similar "1" on her left side too!

20110917F1-unoandwcBirthadaughter_9_.jpg

20110917F1-unoandwcBirthadaughter_10_.jpg

20110917F1-unoandwcBirthadaughter_11_.jpg

20110917F1-unoandwcBirthadaughter_15_.jpg

20110917F1-unoandwcBirthadaughter_16_.jpg

20110917F1-unoandwcBirthadaughter_19_.jpg

dmatt88

Amazing patterns on the clowns. Im thinkin southern Indiana needs some breeding pairs!

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

Funlad3

Do you still have the onyx pair or offspring? I need an onyx Picasso / onyx perc mix! :D

Thanks!