Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

catran

Doni, I see that you had a Snowcasso/Onyx bonded pair for sale at one time. Do you sell Black Onyx also or are you planning to?

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Gee, thanks...

Oh, Woodstock. (Tell me if I may call you Doni :)) Not only have I read every page of this thread, but I also read your entire 120 gallon upgrade thread. Now I have to read about the clown club and the McCullochi clowns. (Though I can infer the end... :()

Because of you, I now have a Copperband Butterfly Fish, I want clownfish, and I want a pair of YOUR clowfish!!!

I have $50 left in budget for this entire year, so I'm afraid I'll have to sell Blowpops from Costco at school... Thanks!

On a non-sarcastic note, you have inspired me to try my hand at clownfish breeding, though I am a little irritated that you had to get me addicted to all of your clowns first... Just to reiterate upon what everyone else has said, you have an ingenious grow out system, you do things no one else really tries, and you must be one of the most dedicated reefers out there. I do plan on buying a pair of some type of your clowns as soon as I can rustle up the money... I think the grade B clowns are for me... I like this one almost as much as I like Eve, and that's saying a lot!

Set#3 - Single B - Doni's Reef, Inc Store

I feel as though I almost know you, and I really am proud of you... Coming from the 90 gallon in your kitchen to a small scale pro-grade breeding program! I know all of your tanks have had bumps along the way, though I won't pain you by naming names, but again, once I have the $$$ I will be honored to support your continuous endeavors in this ever expanding hobby.

Has this overly-flattering post earned me any frags from your 120? :jester:

Oh, and how do you get the emails from your store? I can't find the link!!!

Thanks!

Funlad3

(Hopefully this forum will be my main SW base. I have a smaller base on Fish Forums!)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hi Cat.
I have a bonded pair for sale right now but will keep them together if they do not sell.
I just get so many requests for adult pairs, I thought I would make them available.
No, I do not have any onyx available. I do not have an onyx/onyx pair right now but have been thinking about adding a pair to my breeder stock.
Thanks for asking!
Doni

Doni, I see that you had a Snowcasso/Onyx bonded pair for sale at one time. Do you sell Black Onyx also or are you planning to?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Re: Gee, thanks...

Oh, Woodstock. (Tell me if I may call you Doni :)) Not only have I read every page of this thread, but I also read your entire 120 gallon upgrade thread. Now I have to read about the clown club and the McCullochi clowns. (Though I can infer the end... :()

Because of you, I now have a Copperband Butterfly Fish, I want clownfish, and I want a pair of YOUR clowfish!!!

I have $50 left in budget for this entire year, so I'm afraid I'll have to sell Blowpops from Costco at school... Thanks!

On a non-sarcastic note, you have inspired me to try my hand at clownfish breeding, though I am a little irritated that you had to get me addicted to all of your clowns first... Just to reiterate upon what everyone else has said, you have an ingenious grow out system, you do things no one else really tries, and you must be one of the most dedicated reefers out there. I do plan on buying a pair of some type of your clowns as soon as I can rustle up the money... I think the grade B clowns are for me... I like this one almost as much as I like Eve, and that's saying a lot!

Set#3 - Single B - Doni's Reef, Inc Store

I feel as though I almost know you, and I really am proud of you... Coming from the 90 gallon in your kitchen to a small scale pro-grade breeding program! I know all of your tanks have had bumps along the way, though I won't pain you by naming names, but again, once I have the $$$ I will be honored to support your continuous endeavors in this ever expanding hobby.

Has this overly-flattering post earned me any frags from your 120? :jester:

Oh, and how do you get the emails from your store? I can't find the link!!!

Thanks!

Funlad3

(Hopefully this forum will be my main SW base. I have a smaller base on Fish Forums!)

Welcome to ReefSantuary Funlad!! :welcomera

(I already replied to your PM but want to here also)

THANK YOU for the kind words! They will serve as very a strong encouragement to help me endure the next few months of water changes. BTW...You should be aware that aquaculture is 95% maintenance. ;)
Be sure to let me know when you start breeding clownfish and I'll send encouragement your way! With all the work aside, it is very rewarding and worth all the work for sure. You will enjoy raising clowns.

Set#3 is headed to Ohio next week. It is a cutie pie for sure but I'll have more nice B's later on so you'll get several chances to find a pattern you like a lot.

I actually need to update my 120 gallon tank chronicle thread...

If you are ever in the area, stop by and I'll send you home with some nice grade B's and a frag of hammer coral for cheap.

Thanks again for the encouragement and kind words! :)

Funlad3

Thanks for the quick reply! As soon as I find a new home for my FW fish, I'll have a 44 gallon QT tank and an extra thirty. As I'm sure you'll agree to, that's a dangerous thing to have, extra space... :bouncer:

If I have time, I'll try to put my old DS Lite on Ebay tonight... If I can get at least the $150 for it, I'll definitely buy a pair of the grade Bs! (I would get a Snowcasso pair, but that would be impossible to raise money for!)

I did manage to find the newsletter on your site, so hurray for that! How do you propose we buyers acclimate/QT the clowns though? I read we shouldn't float the bags in the water, because the bags "Breath". I normally add new water into the bag every 10 minutes for 50 minutes. Would that be okay?

I just want a pair of your clowns!!!

(And I live near Chicago, so no visits for me...)

Thanks!

- Funlad3

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hey Funlad3.
Yep, an empty tank won't be empty long! ..and Never say Never ;) My last words before I started raising the fry were "I only want ONE tank." LOL~ Boy do those words haunt me now.
Kordon bags are developed to work well as long as the outer bag is surrounded by air. Water or another flat surface stops the o2/co2 exchange. But as long as the bag is open at the top to allow o2 in, you can use them to acclimate. If someone puts the closed bag in the water (with no open top to air) the fish can suffocate very quickly. So I always recommend removing them to another bag or container just to be extra safe.

I use the same method you do (pour and wait 5) when acclimating. I also test the salinity, ph and temp of the bagged fish to know how long I need to acclimate them. If the parameters are close, I make it quick. I usually acclimate quickly within 30 minutes.

Don't worry, I have lots of very nice patterns growing out now. You'll find one you like!
Thanks!
Doni

Funlad3

Oh, I'm sure I will! I now have two thoughts! (Can't you tell I need to find something productive to do???)

1. Can you get some pictures/videos of some of your older picassos? I'll be able to get some for sure, but half of my family doesn't like clownfish... We'll see how long that lasts!

2. There's supposedly another clown breeder near me. If he breeds Picassos, I'm assuming you'll be interested in getting another line to reduce any possible inbreeding?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
1. You can see photos of some of them on my webpage "Breeding pairs": Breeding Pairs
and also some older ones on "Picassos Sold": Picassos Sold
2. I am very picky but am always open to adding excellent fish to my breeding program! PM me the info and I'll contact him/her.

Funlad3

Will do Doni! After I posted, I found some awesome pictures and videos... Of course...

As you can probably guess, I won't settle until I'm confident I can treat my clowns half as well as you treat yours! I think I'll give you a break for today though.

Again, thanks for the speedy replies!!!

catran

Hi Cat.
I have a bonded pair for sale right now but will keep them together if they do not sell.
I just get so many requests for adult pairs, I thought I would make them available.
No, I do not have any onyx available. I do not have an onyx/onyx pair right now but have been thinking about adding a pair to my breeder stock.
Thanks for asking!
Doni

Doni, I'm looking for a couple of small onyx, not paired. They will pair themselves if they are young right?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Will do Doni! After I posted, I found some awesome pictures and videos... Of course...

As you can probably guess, I won't settle until I'm confident I can treat my clowns half as well as you treat yours! I think I'll give you a break for today though.

Again, thanks for the speedy replies!!!

If you do purchase from me, make sure you send photos back to me once yours mature so I can add them to the website. :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Doni, I'm looking for a couple of small onyx, not paired. They will pair themselves if they are young right?

You are correct. :)
Keep in mind that onyx (and most percula) develop their striping slowly. The onyx develop their black even more slowly so juveniles will most likely have little black.
Looking at the parents should give a good indication of what the offspring will look like but, as always, there is no way to know for sure until they mature.

AllenC

Hey Everyone love the info... I was wondering. I just had fry and wanted to know in my 10 gallon tank, I am feeding them live rotos, but all the debris in the bottom of the tank is that normal?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hey Everyone love the info... I was wondering. I just had fry and wanted to know in my 10 gallon tank, I am feeding them live rotos, but all the debris in the bottom of the tank is that normal?

Congrats! :thumbup:
You need to carefully siphon the bottom daily or every few days being careful not to suck out too many babies. Siphon into a bucket and let it settle (about 10 minutes) and then remove any fry with a cup and place back into the 10 gallon tank.
Make sure the new water matches the temp and salinity of the tank water.

Funlad3

And here's another issue coming from me! :D

I can't convince my parents to let me order a fish from the internet, so I have to convince my Uncle, who they trust with fish. The problem is, I can't convince him either!

Are their any points or facts that may help me? Thanks!

SeaSiren

Hi Doni

I just wanted to tell you that my 3 Picasso's are doing great! I promise pictures and i will get them up! I am not exsactly sure of their age but you had said they were about 4 months when I received them so I am assuming they are almost 7 months now...over the past 2 weeks with feeding 3-4 times daily I have seen a huge color transformation that I think that you will like. They are eating mysis now and also the flake and cyclopeeze...but I am currently working in my own fresh fish diet!!! Its extra work but, I am loving watching them grow faster and color up! And its fairly easy to buy make and freeze in storage bags and take what you need!

The B that bought from you started first and now is really darkened up it surprised me how fast it is happening he looks great!! and the white of the tail stripe has been pushing itself up to join the middle stripe so I am thinking B won't be B for long at this rate...the small A that came along with the B which was part of set 9 when I purchaced them from you with the cheek spot is still the smallest but, is darkening up as well! The ony one that is taking her time is the largest one the "female" she is predominantly white still with the outline of black but, it seems the trio is doing good together as it stands! They are all adorable with their spartan hats! I wish I had my camera so I could have taken better pictures when I first received them from you the ones I posted up on your site are blurry but their coloration in such a short time is awesome!!! Thank you Doni!!!

Pam