Ready to tell my "deep secrets..."

chum

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Three years into the hobby. Presently have 65 gal. 75pounds Fiji and Tonga, 2 inch sand bed. Fluvial Canister 300 filter. Prism Skimmer, 3 powerheads, 30" 2 -lamp 65 watt PC Dual Actinic (420NM & 460NM) and Dual Daylight (6,700K & 10,000K)

Present stock includes, 2 clarki clown, 1 flame dart fish, scopus tang, mandarin, green chromis, 3 PJ cardinals. 2 serpent stars, l cleaner shrimp, 3 peppermint shrimp, a few snails and hermits, 4 feather dusters.

Coral: zooanthids: yellow button polypes, softies:colt, xenia, 2 toadstool leathers, 1 chili cactus, 1 Christmas tree, corallimorphs, 4 gorgonians, LPS: 1 tongue-plate, orange tube coral, sm. candy cane.

A Second tank 55 gal FOWLR has: Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, Spotted Grouper, Freckled Hawk, Choc. Chip Star, Pencil Urchin, & Hermits.
We have 3 freshwater tanks with oscar cichlids, pirrahana, etc.
New interests: to share with like minded my love for this intense hobby.

Melanie

Hi and welcome to Reef Sanctuary! Your tank sounds really interesting! We'd love to see some photos of your set up.

chum

Hi everyone, I'm sharing some pics of my tank before I added the additions on the sandbed, of Yellow and Red Gorgonians.

TankofthemonthAugust20075.jpg
aquariumjune2007073.jpg
aquariumjune2007002.jpg
SaltwaterAquarium3-6-07003.jpg

Since this photo, (5 months ago) my xenias have taken over one fourth of the top, and yellow polyps have grown like weeds (3 - 4 additional polyps a week) very colorful, but starting to overtake too much... Will be looking into selling or trading frags, once I get use to this site.:heart:

Thanks for the friendly welcome, Melanie. I totally understand the fish compatibility issues, with similar problems in the past... That is why we have 2 saltwater tanks...Now I am working on coral compatibility issues...An article on compatiblity issues on corals is what brought me to this new site...http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...iscussion/2927-coral-placement-reference.html

chum

Thanks for the warm welcome Melanie and Lynn. I am hoping to start a post of our 65 gal as I get acclimated to this site. Melanie, I understand the Special Compatibility considerations as I went through some major turf wars between the clarki's, angels and any other tankmate that tried to invade. Now I have found a peaceful group of fish but have coral compatibility problems as the growth of certain corals are showing toxic stinging effects on others... The coral compatibility problem was the reason I came to this site. I found this article while googling; http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...iscussion/2927-coral-placement-reference.html
I THINK I'M EITHER GOING TO HAVE TO START SELLING OFF FRAGS ON THIS SITE OR GET A LARGER TANK. :spinner: ...Since these photos were taken 4 months ago, you can not tell that the xenias and yellow polyps are now taking over large areas. Will share some photos of the tank for now... highlighting, the tang, clarki's, pj's, softy corals and lowlight deep dwellers...yellow tube coral & chili cactus.

Devilhandplacementonbottom1-1.jpg
aquariumjune2007002.jpg

aquariumjune2007073.jpg
TankofthemonthAugust20075.jpg

Melanie

I love that photo in the bottom left corner. Reminds me of what I've seen diving around wrecks.

kyle1284

welcome to RS!!! Question... how long have u had the mandarin? and do you feed it anything of let it scavange?

chum

vdituri,
the (24") DEEP (reef) SECRETS ARE COMING, :snshne:

Oh Blissful moment, Melanie, I dream of learning to scuba dive...:sleeping:

Sorry for the picture repetition, you guys, I was getting use to the site and because of computer freezing, I didn't think the post was taking...
a little overkill on the pics.:eek:
Thanks for your patience.

chum

Kyle, I believe I've had the mandarin for about a year and a half. He seems fat and happy :chair: and is "kissing" the rocks all day long, so I guess he is finding amphipods or whatever. Besides that I heavily feed thawed brine shrimp to the whole tank once a day and he along with the shrimp go chasing some of that. He seems to be thriving, although I haven't seen any amphipods in abundance... though I do see some on the glass... nor do I have a refugium...yet... That might be my next project. :smirk: