RBTA under stock lights in RSM 250?

Magick88

Hello,

The fellow reefer wants to give me as a trade RBTA - I have RSM 250 with stocks lights. Do you think RBTA will be OK with that? Any success stories or comments?

Thanks,

Magick

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Magick - Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club! I'll let the 250 owners reply on the anemone question, but I do think some are successful keeping them.

Magick88

Hi Reefmac :D

You probably do not remember me, but I do remember you. I joined the RSM owners club in 2007 on RC, as I was preparing to buy RSM130. Due to work/family situation (pending move) I was not able to buy it, but finally I bought RSM250 instead :D I would normally not think of an anemone, as my system is pretty new, but fellow reefer really wants to trade it and even offered to keep it for me for some time, until my system matures.

Hello to all RSM owners!

Magick

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow - you're testing my memory now! We've had about 400 RSM owners check in here at Reef Sanctuary, form all over the world, and I can barely remember my own forum ID LOL! Maybe the wait was worth it - the 250 is a beauty of a tank!

pocketreef

Hi there, welcome back.

I have 2 RBTA under stock lights, just ensure the tank is mature and all parameters fine, i'd say w a i t some months...

Bathtub

Newbie question (sorry) if the tank is stable and params are good, what are you looking for with the long wait? Is it natural food sources, even more stability/ buffer capacity? Sorry if this seems a dumb question- I just don't know......

pocketreef

No problem in asking. It's sad to see stressed/ transparent nems, the recuperation is possible in some cases but it takes months or years of dedication. You need some months to:

Get to know all equipments, experience the first failures;
Pass thru algae phases, some may last a long time;
Reach quimical and biological stability;
Drastically reduce time your hands are inside changing things;
Fight the first pests;
Work on the most important mods;
Have enough time to observe if all is well;
Learn how to handle invertebrates, acclimatize, feed, etc;
Get confidence you will not kill the animal but give it ideal conditions.

By this time you should have enough knowledge to keep a more sensitive animal. Nems walk, stay where they want and may burn other inverts. You need to keep an eye on it for some time. At last... There are no guarantees the clownfishes will eventually notice it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think the "Reach quimical and biological stability" is a big part. There are supposedly many things that we can't measure that stabilize as a tank matures.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

+2 lights can support them and +2 on just need to make sure the tank mature enough

I've got a RBTA in my RSM250 and have had no problems. His tips are always bubbled and I even moved my tank about 2 months ago and he did perfectly fine with the move.

Magick88

Hello everybody,

thank you for the warm welcome and tips! I will work on photos, not much to see now ;-)

I am using the life rock and live sand from other, mature tanks - how long approximately should I wait before adding RBTA?

Thanks,

Magick