Randy's 130D

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sorry to hear about the health issues Randy. I hope it can be sorted out for you very quickly. Your tank is looking amazing and the parrot is so cute. We recently got a Quaker parrot and he is so cool. A little on the noisy side but very entertaining.

vubben

Thanks Leigh. We considered a Quaker, they are beautiful but we were concerned about the noise. Also considered a Blue Headed Pionus, but couldn't find one from a breeder we liked. Eventually decided on Mr. Peck and couldn't be happier.

Take care.

lethal

You're welcome Randy. I think you have made a good choice on parrot, he's very pretty.

vubben

I'm doing okay. We're cross posting here, just replied to your "shutting down" post. Sorry to hear about that, but I think I know how you're feeling. I've thought about doing the same several times over the last few months, but so far I've still been able to maintain the menagerie. I haven't been hanging out here much lately my own self, but still try to check in once in a while... hope you do the same.

Take care.

vubben

Hi folks.
Well, I wasn't sure it would ever happen, but I am slowly coming out of my hidey hole, thanks in part to a battle with slimy brown algae that threatened to take over my 130D! Took about a month, but I think I finally have it under control.
Now, to reward myself (or possibly to punish myself depending on how it goes) I have begun piecing together an RSM 250. Picked up a tank today... just the tank, no hood, no pumps, no nothin! So now the search begins for all the other stuff I need to get this up and running. If I can't find a used hood, I'll start looking for an LED option. Not sure which way to go with the skimmer yet. Figure I'll order the pumps new, from InTank. If it fit's, I'm hoping to strip the power unit from the 130 as well as the Tunze ATO. Not sure what to do yet about the stand. I'm certain they will be tough to find used, especially here in Canada so I may have to look at getting something made.

Once I get all that together, the real fun begins because I want to place the new tank in the same spot as the 130D so I'll have to keep the 130 up and running till I get the 250 cycled. I want to use all new rock, likely manufactured this time. Don't want to transfer any of the pests I have in the 130 which includes about 500 sundial snails! Apparently they have been breeding like... well, sundial snails I guess. Not sure how the change over will go but I am sure "THERE WILL BE WET"
If any one has advice on that subject, I'd be happy to hear it.

So that's the plan. Unless i get real lucky finding parts, or I get fed up searching, I figure I'll be lucky to get the 250 up and running by spring.

Hope you're all well.

lethal

Hey Randy me old mate, I thought you'd emmigrated or something! Welcome back and good luck with new build.

vubben

Thanks Glenn. Every time I look at this thing I just want to get it up and running but I keep having second thoughts about where to put it. And if I don't keep the costs down while finding the rest of the stuff I need, I'll kick myself for not just buying one that was new and complete.

vubben

Hey Leigh. Still here, once in a while at least. Just no longer have the time that I used to, for hanging out as much as I'd like.
The build is gonna take a while I think. Just did a refresher on your 250 thread (looking great by the way) and seeing that first shot of your 250 with your hood up, made me realize how much I'd really like to find an original 250 hood. I really think that the whole package, tank, hood and stand, looks terrific. I have been checking out some LED options but I'm quickly realizing that anything I'd consider, from both a performance and looks point of view, is gonna be real pricey.

I'm sure I'll be back soon picking the brains of all you 250ers.

Till then, take care.

lethal

Yep I agree, you can't beat the looks of the original tank. I've thought about going LED but the price at the moment sort of puts me off so I think i'll wait to see if it comes down. Plus I don't really want to remove the hood at this stage. There are a few guys on here that have LED's. Check out Tom's thread now, it looks sensational.