r/o unit....is this a good one?

sneaks03

Yup not convinced that would be worth the money you spend or save. I am with Al check out some of our sponsors.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto to sneaks!

RO/DI, Skimmer, Lights are key areas you want to "invest". Many times you get what you pay for. Maybe initially you get a good "price" on the equipment but top-notch customer service AFTER the sale means a TON to me. It's useless to get a good "Deal" on something up front and then when you have a problem it cost more to repair it or worse be unable to get HELP from the seller.

nightfire76

sneaks03

Chlorine and Chlorimines have to be filtered differently. So if your water company treats water with both or chlorimines your going to have to have the correct filter cartridge.

BobBursek

Anything Jim sells at The Filters Guys is good and the customer service is great, give him a call about the chlorine up grade and talk to him about it.

BobBursek

Nightfire76,
If you are not on a private well, Jim at the Filter Guys can pull up your manciple water specs, and tell you all you need to know about your water and filter needs.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Fire Water & Ice are EXCELLENT at support and replied to my email (today) in less than 1 hour.

dngspot

I used a cheep RO/DI, I bought from Ebay. The problem with this is it was not quite what it was advertized as. It came with a GE Desal membrane, which did a pretty good job. It rejected 98%. The filters did a good job also. The problem was the cheep horizontal DI canister. I do not know what was in that thing but it was not what I would call DI resin. When I attempted to regenerate it, the resin changed the solution red and the resin never separated. My solution was to add two 10 inch canisters to the system. Also since I like to fiddle with stuff like this I added another membrane and turned it into a 200 gpd unit. Being a control freak I had to install gauges and dual TDS meters.

The system looks nothing like it did when I bought it and I have about 250.00 in it.

Here it is.

RODI1.JPG

The board above it is a timed flush to remove TDS before the DI resin. It also houses the solenoid for my auto top off.

This is what it looked like when I got it.

5stage_rodi.JPG

The only lesson is, you do not have to unload your wallet at one time. You can improve it over time. If you do get this type of RO/DI from Ebay do not count on the DI to be what it is said to be.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
This is what it looked like when I got it.

5stage_rodi.JPG

The only lesson is, you do not have to unload your wallet at one time. You can improve it over time. If you do get this type of RO/DI from Ebay do not count on the DI to be what it is said to be.

Couldn't you just clean the DI canister out and start from scratch? Or just replace the "Canister" itself?

I gotta say WOW! Looks like you have a nice set-up there now :)

dngspot

I get about 3 months from each regeneration that I do to the DI. If I used the little guy that it came with I would be recharging every week.

I forgot to mention that that system is about 3 years old; I changed the membranes to Filmtech 75gpd. Now my system is pushing 150 gpd.

nightfire76

i dont need but maybe at most 75 gpd and i have to say when it comes to ro/di....i know next to nothing,i understand more or less how it works,meaning water passing through so many filter types to clean it up but thats bout it