Question on t5s

Doogle

Here's some examples of poorly bent reflectors. Bulb/reflector reflection on water.
0EDA8C6F_zpsad064f5f.jpg
fishneedit with my own modification to the reflectors but it didn't help.

88FF98F1_zpsded48b64.jpg

Current reflectors from outer orbit HQI/t5 combo fixture.

Doogle

I covered some of this in the link I posted earlier"how to get the most out of your T5 bulbs"

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Not at all questioning that individual reflectors are best, I am absolutely sure they are... just saying without them in a tank of similar size & with 6 39W T5s , you can still have fantastic success, there are so many examples of this...

I agree if I were building a custom tank & could afford them (and quality lights is one place I would invest a good % of my dollars in) I would look for a light with them. Having said that, without this one aspect, "some" light fixtures without them, work well too.

dimdim

okay so ive looked into some led fixtures, here they are, and please i want opinions on these fxtures, dont compare them to expensive things, look at them for what it says? im going to create a hanging rack out of conduit and connectors and attaching it to my stand, so which one of these fixtures would be best? for softies lps sps and nems?
tank is 36"long 18"tall

Dimmable led aquarium light 120W marineland led aquarium light | eBay
Dimmable 165W Led AQUARIUM Grow Light Royal Blue 10000K White Marine Coral Reef | eBay
55*3w 1pc Dimmable LED Aquarium Lights fish tank for marine Free Shipping | eBayDimmable Led Aquarium Lights 150W Colorful Coral Reef Tank lighting 3W LED light | eBay

dimdim

What kind of optics should i get on my fixture ? Im going ebay led, my tanks 35 gallons, 36" long 13 in wide 18 tall will 120w be enough?

Doogle

Let me ask you guys a question... I always read a lot about individual reflectors & have always wondered if they are really "a must have" when selecting a fixture, I am sure they are best, but the reason I ask, is the RSM 250 tanks don't have them - the RSM 250 (65 gallon Dimensions (LxWxH) (38 x 21 x 26.2”)

They just have 6 x 39W T5s with one huge reflector - not at all arguing the individual reflectors are best and 1st choice - just thinking there sure are lots of pretty RSM 250's with thriving sps corals & clams - and could be an option that might still work for some...

lightss.jpg

one example... running ATI bulbs

P1330326.jpg

+1 for quality & not cheap stuff... just thinking there may be a quality fixture that could work for someone on a budget that didn't have individual reflectors & would still grow corals & clams well, as the RSM tanks do...

If I am missing something... please share

If possible can you take a picture of you're bulb's/reflector's reflection on the water surface like I posted earlier? It would be nice to see a comparison.
Here's a pic of my ATI Sunpower
4B93B91A_zps7595ac2b.jpg
img0367bulbreflectioncr.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good luck with your new light... I read a post googling "Workhorse Assemblies" that said Tek light use these ballast

Last edited:

dimdim

Thanks! Its powered by a 5 year warranty and seller is stating 100% satisfaction money back garauntee, all return shipping if need is free, individual reflectors, fans, timer and all! I cant wait:)

DP Roberts

Good luck, but I think that is still an Odyssea fixture. Check out this review here:
Odyssea HO T5 Light Review - YouTube

Note in the review that the controller looks the same as the one from eBay. The reviewer also indicates that the eBay listing said it had individual reflectors, and it didn't. He also mentions bad bulbs and build quality issues. I'd say that you should inspect your light VERY CAREFULLY. If it's not what you paid for (i.e. no individual reflectors, etc.), then you should file a complaint.

If it's not what you expected it to be, consider what others have posted here. I've bought many cheap lights myself, and I'll never do so again. I've bought cheap PCs, MH, t5, and LEDs. I'd love to buy a new fixture now, but I'm saving up for a good quality one. You may save money by having a cheap fixture, but of you can't keep your livestock healthy, you're going to lose a lot more than whatever you save by buying cheap lights.

I'm a cheap, DIY kind of guy. I'm also on a limited budget. I'll gladly choose the cheaper option for everything aquarium-related except heaters (where good ones don't cost much more anyway) and lights (where you get what you pay for).

dimdim

Seems to me u dont notice the seller is a top seller on ebay 100%satisfaction garauntee or full refund, 5 year warranty, it may be that odyssea fixture but odyssea doesnt make 6 bulb t5s? It may be modified, idc im not gonna loose any life in my tank, 239 watts is plenty on a 40 gallon bud. Hes sold over 27 of these, ships within a week, ill post more when i get it

dimdim

So i got my lights in, came in, unboxed, everything in tact. Bulbs where shipped not in the fixture, and am very pleased with the 12000k look i have. I will be upgrading the actinics to royal blue and deep blue ati soon, the light does increase the temp in my tank 2 degrees when on, so i turned the heater down one degree to make up the difference ! The light runs lukewarm slightly over room temperature, will post pics tomorrow! I just reversed the legs so the point inward so it fits on my tank ! Picked up some lr and a powerhead maxijet900 very impressed !

reefguy

Any update on those lights dimdim? I have a friend that just got in the hobby and if they r still running I might steer him in that direction. He has a limited budget like you did. Thanks