Question on t5s

dimdim

well i have about two weeks untill my first addition to the tank, id like to have a fixture on it sooner then later lol, right now my budget is between 175 and 250

dimdim

i need to build a skimmer and sump too.. lol im cycling with 20 lbs lace/baserock 2 lbs live rock, 30lbs aragonite 3 lbs live sand HOB penguin 200 for flow, and topfin powerhead
i just built the stand its on, cost 27 bucks. im waiting to hear back from US steel, i just had a job interview yesterday, so if i hear i got the job, i wouldnt really have a budget anymore lol fingers crossed!

dimdim

I still havent decided! Argh! I was wondering if i can mount a 24" fixture with its standard mounting legs on my 36 in tank?

reefguy

Wave points are ok.. I would honestly save.. But that's me. You should never order things for your tank unless u have the life support system for it.

Sump and all that other stuff you don't need. Get a canister for now and a skimmer. My frag tank is setup that way and I think has better water then my DT. Just save ya money am do it right.

Doogle

No you can't mount anything but a 36" T5HO fixture unless it says it will "stretch to fit" but you don't want that.
One of those links you posted wasn't even T5HO ! It was PC lighting!

I suggested the best T5 lights earlier, ATI is the best, then TEK, Aquacatinics, Aquaticlife, Catalina, current, Hagen/fluval.

If you need the mounting legs the TEK is best, but you pay extra- check reefgeek or bulk reef supply.
Aquaticlife, catalina black solar and current nova extreme pro are the next in line..unless you experiment or buy something that isn't produced anymore..that's not all bad either. I think TEK is done now but you can find them cheap now also!

If you really want cheap I would recommend Fishneedit 4x39w T5HO. I have a 30" 4x24w fixture, they aren't great but they have a warranty, way better than Aquatraders' odysea.
Fishneedit will ship you a (return) shipping label (on their dime) if anything from the bulbs, ballasts, or a loose screw (I had that happen, check the screws) for 6 months. The bulbs that come with it are no good but after I changed them to ATI bulb ($80) its been pretty good. Way better than odysea, it has a proper warranty! Read the warranty on Aquatraders, they charge the crap out of you and you will pay for shipping cots etc.. I hope you crossed them ff your list.

You can PM me if you you want, I'll help you out.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Let me ask you guys a question... I always read a lot about individual reflectors & have always wondered if they are really "a must have" when selecting a fixture, I am sure they are best, but the reason I ask, is the RSM 250 tanks don't have them - the RSM 250 (65 gallon Dimensions (LxWxH) (38 x 21 x 26.2”)

They just have 6 x 39W T5s with one huge reflector - not at all arguing the individual reflectors are best and 1st choice - just thinking there sure are lots of pretty RSM 250's with thriving sps corals & clams - and could be an option that might still work for some...

lightss.jpg

one example... running ATI bulbs

P1330326.jpg

+1 for quality & not cheap stuff... just thinking there may be a quality fixture that could work for someone on a budget that didn't have individual reflectors & would still grow corals & clams well, as the RSM tanks do...

If I am missing something... please share

dimdim

Thats what im wondering too, im gonna buy a cheap 4 or 6 bulb fixture from ebay, to be honest. This trying to get a decent priced quality light into canada isnt happening, fishneedit apparently doesnt ship to canada anymore, amazon.com wants over 100 in shipping on any light fixture totalling a 200 fixture to be about 360 after all charges. The same light in the petstores around go for 450!!! Im about to say screw reefing and go fowlr

dimdim

Once again not an option i cant hang any lights Above my tank. Thats a sweet light but garaunteed itd be over 100 shipping to canada

dimdim

Im on a budget each month the budget is the same, despite EVERYTHING im buying an odyssea fixture i really am stuck in a bind. I cant hang a light as i mentioned before. and usa shipping SUCKS and is retardedly priced. Im going to be buying the halide t5 advance combo.
I know your all going to bash me but for 200 all in including shipping its pretty much the only option. If i stop posting its cause my house burned down guys...

Doogle

The RSM reflectors are highly reflective but the shape is not reflecting a lot of the light back in the tank properly.
Bulb reflection on water.
img0367bulbreflectioncr.jpg

See the difference?