question on refractometer

I had purchased a Sybon FG100sa refractometer at my lfs. It just came with a case, refractometer, synthetic suede cloth, small screw driver for adjustment, and a pipette. I didn't get any calibration fluid.

So my question is how can I tell when I need to calibrate and what should i use to calibrate the refractometer to since it didn't came with no instruction and calibration fluid?

Val

I had to buy my calibration fluid separately. Some people use ro water, but I prefer using the calibration fluid.

chipmunkofdoom2

+1 on distilled water. The instructions actually said used distilled water. If it's off a little, it'll at least be consistent.

steved13

PREMIUM
I use distilled but my digital cals to 0, so I couldn't use any other cal fluid, (except to verify I guess).

anewguy

i picked mine up from bulk reef supply. it came with its own calibration fluid that calibrates to 1.026 or 35ppt at 77 degrees f or 25c . i know you can pick it up by itself for 7 bucks. i've read that some makers are suggesting to use ro/distilled, some this stuff. if possible its best to check with whoever made yours to find out which they suggest and go with that.