Question about Nitrates??

So im getting ready to put the tank together as everything has came in today. My 70lbs of LR is in a 30 gallon trash can with 2 power heads, and heater. I have another 20 gallon of saltwater thats been mixing for 48hrs in another tub. I check salinity, nitrate, and ph. The ph is very very close and the salinity is fine BUT the nitrates in the LR tub is in between 15-20ppm while the RO is at 0 like it should be. Is that a good thing or bad thing for my LR tub to be that high and is it ok for me to use the water from that tub to put in my tank? The LR has been sitting the tub for probably 48 hrs as well

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Is the rock in the tub "Curing" or what? I'd say you've got some considerable die-off in there. I don't think I'd use that water. Start off right instead of behind the 8-ball :)

ok, I bought the live rock from a guy that was shutting down his tank so im hoping he just gave me water with high nitrates instead of giving me LR is dying :/

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No that's not a bad thing either way.. it''ll all settle out once you get it into your tank and good freshly mixed Salt Water :) No worries at all.

BLAKEJOHN

What I would do in this situation is to drain all the water out of the tub with the live rock (definatley wouldnt use it) and refill with fresh saltwater at same temp and salinity. Then give it a few days or a week and check the trates again. No sense in having to do it in the tank if you dont have to. And youll use the same amount of water and salt either way. No reason to start a tank with high nitrates.