Quentin and Shell's JBJ 28

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Q,
Have you thought about doing "blackouts" for 2 weeks at a time? I've read somewhere that if you put the light on for 1-2 hours a day that would be totally sufficient to not harm the corals......some people only use the actinics.

It makes sense to me and a 2 week black out should really help.

QuentinB

No kidding, Terry. Actually, it's a gorgeous 80 degree day today, Shell and I are about to go disc golfing!

PSU(I know I've seen your real name on here somewhere, I can never remember it though, sorry!), I have thought of that, and I'm sure our leather coral would be just fine under those conditions. It's just me dreading the idea of re-setting the timer...again. It's not a bad one to set, as far as digital timers go, but it's not an enjoyable process either :D At this point though, I think it's time to toss our last couple big hermits, order another oversized quick crew from John, and let that run it's course. We'll be gone the later part of next week, otherwise I would've ordered them already... The following week, hopefully!

QuentinB

It's great fun, even if you aren't too good! Just keep chucking the thing until you hit the goal :D My elbow started hurting about halfway through, but I toughed it out of course :D If you ever find your way up here during summer, we'll show you what it's all about!

QuentinB

Actually, I'm not sure - I can throw quite a ways further than her, but it was windy today, so that didn't help either of us today. I also had a terrible short game, as usual, so that doesn't help my case either. We never really keep track, I guess, I know I made par a couple holes, but I was also 4 over on one or two... Who cares though, we got to play around outside :D

catran

Glad you got to play outside! I was supposed to play golf last Thursday and it rained! So, no further progress with the blackouts? Are you sure you're keeping the light off long enough?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Actually, I'm not sure - I can throw quite a ways further than her, but it was windy today, so that didn't help either of us today. I also had a terrible short game, as usual, so that doesn't help my case either. We never really keep track, I guess, I know I made par a couple holes, but I was also 4 over on one or two... Who cares though, we got to play around outside :D

Who cares is the best way to play - that keeps it fun! :)

ShellB

With careful consideration and my expert impulse buying we brought home a new fish today!

There were two Lawnmower Blenny's begging to be bought at our LFS. I picked out the cute one and we brought him home with us. Hopefully our new little friend can help with the HA (which has been getting significantly better!).

I'll try to snag some pictures after we let him roam around a bit, probably sometime tomorrow afternoon after work. :)

QuentinB

Well, we're off on a little three day camping trip, blame Shell for the lack of pictures of the little guy! He's been so much fun to watch already... Finds the oddest little places to perch...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Bring back some pictures of the camping trip!

Lawnmowers are all personality & fun to watch (as they watch you). :)

ShellB

We're back....and I brought pictures! :) We got our new little friend last Monday and since then he's made himself at home. He finds the weirdest places to hide and I think that he purposely plays hide and seek with us just to test how quick we can find him. We were a little worried about going on our camping trip and leaving him but when we came back he was doing just fine! Yay for his first weekend without the parents. :dance:

FTS
DSCN1137.jpg

Pierre coming out to say hello
DSCN1140.jpg

Chuckie!
DSCN1147-Copy.jpg

DSCN1148.jpg

DSCN1150.jpg

DSCN1153.jpg

He finds the weirdest places to hide...
DSCN1156-Copy.jpg

One of the hermits
DSCN1152.jpg

We went camping over my birthday to a place over by Cross Lake MN (Around the Brainerd area). It's called Cuyuna Scout Camp and is a camp that is mainly used for Boy Scouts to earn certain merit badges and such. Our friends actually operate the camp and let us stay in one of the cabins located at their "Family Camp" area. We ended up staying there for four days and had one of the most relaxing weeks we've had for a long time.

Entrance to the Camp
DSCN1193.jpg

Our cabin
DSCN1169-Copy.jpg

View from outside our cabin
DSCN1170.jpg

View from the living room out to the lake
DSCN1163.jpg

Fire pit and back a ways and to the right was the start of a trail that we explored.
DSCN1171.jpg

DSCN1175.jpg

We don't get to see many trees up here in ND, both of us were pretty excited about being surrounded by them.
DSCN1178.jpg

DSCN1179.jpg

DSCN1180.jpg

Quentin and our friend Tasha surprised me with a birthday cake! Not only did it look amazing it tasted amazing too!
DSCN1184.jpg

DSCN1192.jpg

Couldn't have asked for a better way to spend my birthday, kayaking, laying in the sun and watching Quentin fish.
DSCN1186.jpg

DSCN1190.jpg

We also spent one of the days traveling from Cross Lake to Brainerd and of course Nisswa. My family used to vacation up around the area so it was my turn to show Quentin all the places we would visit on family trips. The Brainerd area is known for the legend of Paul Bunyan so everywhere you go in that area there are pictures and legends of Paul and how he helped shape Minnesota into the beautiful state it is. I'm not sure Quentin completely understood my excitement for Paul Bunyan and the annual turtle races of Nisswa, Minnesota but he was a good sport and put up with me showing him all the places that I've loved since I was a little girl.

Here's a link to the story of Paul Bunyan if you're interested
Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox - " A Tall Tale", wonderful children's story about Paul Bunyan. Paul Bunyan Trail Brainerd MN Minnesota

One of the many big blue ox's you see in the Brainerd area
DSCN1198.jpg

The Nisswa Turtle Racing Track
DSCN1195.jpg

Even though we had an amazing trip it still always feels good to come home. We were glad to see the fish and sleep in our own bed. Overall it was an amazing week!

Hope I satisfied everyone's love of pictures :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Happy Belated Birthday Shell! Looking for a Lawnmower Blenny is a bit like "Where's Waldo" - you can sometimes look all over and they're right in front of you! Really nice camping area, and the cabin was a nice deal too. It looks like a LOT less algae in the tank - is Quentin still H2O2 dosing or was it hard work, lights out, and the RO/DI?

I gotta ask - did Quentin catch any fish on the camping trip?

QuentinB

Hey Terry! Yeah, he's pretty well camouflaged, but since we've been back he's been a bit more active in the tank, so it's a bit easier to find him. The camp is amazing - 280 acres of the actual scout camp, plus about 500 acres of adjacent state land(all undeveloped and totally forested). And no, no fish. Shell and Tasha were just laying on the beach, and I was just killing time. I might've gotten to cast 6 times before I was getting hollered at to come back, all I caught were Lilypads. Oh well.

As far as the algae goes, I'm not sure what went on there. I left the lights on while we were gone so Chuckie could get used to the tank and the timer. I obviously didn't get to dose while we were gone. I haven't had time to scrub in a while, and all my powerheads look awful, so that'll have to be soon... Actually, I'm not sure what's doing it. Probably the water, but with class I'm back to weekly waterchanges. It's probably just all catching up to us. But now that the hair algae is in a retreat, the cyano is out in full force. Like I told the LFS dude though, at least cyano is halfway pretty to look at... We'll see what comes of that.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
OK on the lilypads LOL! Maybe the better water and everything else you've been doing is finally have a positive effect. Bummer on the cyano - if it's not one thing it's something else.

catran

Nice pics of Cuckoe and Pierre! Pierre will get used to the rank and get bolder and bolder. My shrimp scares the heck out of me every time I put my hang in the tank. He climbs on me for food.
That's a beautiful view from your cabin. Glad you had a good time!

Uslanja

Hi Guys! It's been a while since we logged in. Happy Birthday Shell! Great pictures of your cabin, the lake and trees! Glad to learn that you all had a good time! Your new fish is pretty neat, and he even looks like a Chuckie!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hi guys, just checking out your thread. That camping trip you went on looks awesome. Bit of a bummer not catching any fish but half the fun is relaxing and trying I reckon. Having such a pretty setting isn't too shabby either :).