Quentin and Shell's JBJ 28

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome back Shell. Sorry to hear that things haven't been fantastic with the tank but i'm sure you'll get back on top of it again.

ShellB

Sorry about the lack of pictures, we just left for our spring break vacation and I wasn't able to snap a few shots between school and work before our trip. But now we are relaxing in Council Bluffs Iowa. We visited the Bass Pro Shop here today and we were able to see a 1200 gallon tank. It was absolutely gorgeous! They had three different puffer fish! Which, for me was amazing because I would like to have a puffer fish but due to our lack of space we aren't able to. I asked Quentin if we were in for an upgrade but he thought 1200 gallons might take up to much of our apartment. Anywho, while we are gone we have a friend watching over both of our tanks but we are looking forward to getting back to the tanks on the 19th!

einfopedia

can you tell me that which purpose it is use fr the aquarium and tell me that the price of thsi equipment..is it easily findable in the market or not thanks.????

QuentinB

can you tell me that which purpose it is use fr the aquarium and tell me that the price of thsi equipment..is it easily findable in the market or not thanks.????

Hmm, you mean the whole setup? Not sure I'm reading your post right, but it's a JBJ(brand) Nano-cube 28(Gallon). It's a fairly popular all-in-one tank, and though I haven't seen a ton of them actually in stores, they are fairly easy to find. I got ours from Drs. Foster and Smith, a pretty well known website with lots of equipment. In fact, I go through them for most anything, as I don't have much for local fish shops. I believe my initial setup cost was around $700, but that's grown considerably of course...

Uslanja

Hi Quentin and Shell!! Not much new that we haven't mentioned in emails!!! Good to see you on here!!! Uhmmmmm!!!!! Got any summer travel plans cooking yet?? Car new a good run?? Canada's South Coast is always a good place to check out!!

QuentinB

Hey guys! Lots of summer plans, sadly! It's going to be a busy one... It'd be tough trying to find time to head your way, but we'll see what happens!

So about the tank... We're nuking it. Mostly nuking anyway. The only living things in there are our pistol shrimp(fiskeboller) and our leather coral. Any thoughts on how to keep them alive while we scrub through the rocks and sand? I'd better run off and help Shell, she's scrubbing away already! We'll try snapping some pictures as we go!

ShellB

Just made the executive decision....we're completely starting over. After attempting to clean out the tank the smell of dead snail and the over abundance of algae made us question whether we should just clean what we could or if we wanted to start back from scratch. There really was nothing to lose. We didn't want to be in the same situation in a month or so where everything was just completely overgrown and with us staring at the tank wondering how we could fix it.

We've completely emptied the tank, are in the process of boiling all the rocks, and we're starting to run some water through the system to get the rest of the nasties out. Now other than the whole apartment smelling like a rotten fish market everything is going well!

But now it's my least favorite part.....waiting for everything to get pretty again...:tumble:

omerojs

Run your system with water and white vinegar, I don't remember now how many parts of water per part of vinegar, but that takes away all the coralline, calcium, algae and any other stuff left behind from an old tank... Run it for a day or two and then run plain water for a day or two as well to clean it... Then it's up to a fresh start without any parasite on it!!!
Also you said you were going to boiled the rocks right? Did you mean cook them? Just to make sure, in he process there is no fire involved... Just the rocks in buckets running water (or circulating water) for a couple of weeks without any light a all... That should clean them properly!!!
If you already knew all this then please ignore my post!!! I just try to give my 2 cents as many people has done with me!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uslanja

Hi Guys! We're just catching up. Got your email and we'll be writing back soon! How's the nuking coming along? What plans do you have for substrate and rock? Let us know what we can help with!!

QuentinB

Well, a year later, I feel like I should give some closure to this chronicle. I feel bad for leaving everyone hanging.

It has been a pretty stressful year for Shell and I. School and work really wore us down, and sadly updating this thread didn't make it very far on our priority list. Even more sad, is that you guys didn't miss much. We did rebuild the tank, just in time for our semester to start again and for our lives to get exponentially busier. By Christmas time, we still had nothing but sand and one lone rock residing in the tank, and we pulled the plug on the filters and pumps.

On a happier note, Shell has graduated, and I'm currently on track to graduate in August (due to a string of bad luck, I have one class remaining to take this summer). This means we'll be moving yet this year - new city, new apartment, and new jobs (if all goes according to plan!!) This thread has made us more friends than I would have imagined, and I can't wait to chronicle our next setup, wherever we end up! Thanks everyone!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you have saltwater in your blood, I think you'll be back when life settles down & you can continue on here & meet even more new friends. Your Saltwater dreams become real again.
I took 18 years off from the hobby, it went fast & I never put aside my love of SW ;)
Now, I've even exceed my SW Fish dreams & have corals too. :) All thanks to people here giving me advice & confidence to try it.
Hope to see you back when life allows!
BEST WISHES :biker

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Congrats on the advancements in your education! Just imagine what an AWESOME update you'll be giving this time NEXT year!!

Best wishes with your new career paths and I look forward to hearing all about it. Don't be a stranger and come to NC!! I'll even let you "let me" fly you around the mountains. We can see the Biltmore House & Estate from the air.... come on down :)

Congrats to Shell on her graduation :D