QT/Dipping a clam?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Looking for some help to possibly a dumb question. I ordered a clam which will be here tomorrow.......do I need to QT or dip this as I would with other corals?

I'm at a loss here.....logic tells me dipping would kill it but the possibility of hitchhikers on the shell tells me something may have to be done.

HELP!!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Looking for some help to possibly a dumb question. I ordered a clam which will be here tomorrow.......do I need to QT or dip this as I would with other corals?

I'm at a loss here.....logic tells me dipping would kill it but the possibility of hitchhikers on the shell tells me something may have to be done.

HELP!!

Pay attention to details. Do not remove the clam and expose it to air

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
So by not having it exposed to the air I would assume i would have to mmix some of the store water with mine right? Anyway to not mix the water?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
ok, I'll wash it through then!

I bought a little 2.5 gallon aquarium for this purpose......should be pretty good for it! I'll get some water mixed up tonight so we can welcome our newest addition to the tank tomorrow.....so excited!

I hope he does well under the LEDs

Robzilla

He should be more than fine. I would see if you can call PEA and ask what bulbs/par it was under at the store.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The site says they are in the greenhouse under natural sunlight so I don't know what to make of that!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What you want to carefully look for is Pyramid snails which are difficult to see and can be deadly to the clam. Gas bubble disease is very dangerous and here's a great explanation:

Another unusual symptom to look for in Giant Clams is gas bubble disease. It is amazing just how easily this deadly condition can be induced. Gas bubble disease is indicated by hidden air bubbles trapped in the tissue of a clam. This gas can even make small specimens buoyant! Similar to the dangerous nitrogen bubbles sometimes experienced by rapidly surfacing SCUBA divers, this problematic condition is caused by supersaturated atmospheric gasses escaping solution within the very tissue of the animal. In aquaria, this is most often induced by pouring hot water into cool water, sometimes done when making buckets and baths for acclimating animals (a very dangerous way to quickly make warm water). The condition is also created by the pinhole aspiration of air (as with a leaky fitting) into a water pump or plumbing, causing the supersaturated condition.

Giant Clams

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well PEA claims to have great clams so hopefully he doesn't come with any of those problems.......especially at $200, he better be legit.

Richard 1

I know this will sound stupid but if you expose the clam to air just burp it. I've done it before, just tilt the clam underwater and an air bubble will come out if you got air in it.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I know this will sound stupid but if you expose the clam to air just burp it. I've done it before, just tilt the clam underwater and an air bubble will come out if you got air in it.

I put it over my shoulder n gently tap it

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

jpsika08

It's not a bad idea to acclimate for at least an hour before introducing to your tank,

Maybe you can try adding one cup of your tank's water every five minutes into the bag containing the clam, when It's almost full, you remove half of the water and continue adding another cup, this will help it acclimate better, just my 0.02 cents :)

Richard 1

I wasn't kidding...its an old trick...since I'm old I know about it...place a clam in your tank on a rock slanted at a 45 degree angle that will cause any bubbles trapped to be released.