QT/Dipping a clam?

Richard 1

PSU4ME, I was just trying to help you if LFS guy didn't handle the clam properly. I started keeping reef tanks in the 80's and had a few clams over the years. Since the helpful exchange of knowledge and experience isn't appreciated by some people I'll keep my comments to myself. Good luck with your clam.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
PSU4ME, I was just trying to help you if LFS guy didn't handle the clam properly. I started keeping reef tanks in the 80's and had a few clams over the years. Since the helpful exchange of knowledge and experience isn't appreciated by some people I'll keep my comments to myself. Good luck with your clam.

Go blue.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Robzilla

Richard, unless I missed something, nobody was dismissing your suggestion. In fact, it was a very good one and one that I never would have thought about. I think guys were just trying to add a bit of comedy into this thread.

Thanks for the tip!

catran

Oh, I wouldn't have thought of that either! Yet I always do it with my snails. It does sound kinda funny when ya call it burping them though, lol! My tank isn't stable enough with all my leathers to have a clam. Maybe in the 250L.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yankieman

I know this will sound stupid but if you expose the clam to air just burp it. I've done it before, just tilt the clam underwater and an air bubble will come out if you got air in it.

dosnt sound stupid at all to me ,, sounds like a good idea, good call Richard,, stick around we always need lots of new experianced folks to help us along,, at least I do ,,

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The clam went in yesterday and he seems to be really happy with everything. I dripped him for about 3 hours and he wasn't exposed to air at all so hopefully no burping is needed. Can't wait to see him with the lights on today!

Thanks

Bryan

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Here is the pic I have......looking to do an overhead shot later on:

clamtank.jpg

steved13

PREMIUM
Richard, unless I missed something, nobody was dismissing your suggestion. In fact, it was a very good one and one that I never would have thought about. I think guys were just trying to add a bit of comedy into this thread.

Thanks for the tip!

+1 Richard, I don't think anything negative was aimed at you, just some folks trying to have fun.

My LFS taught me the burping trick when I bought a clam. He told me to rotate it 360 degres in a few directions just to make sure the air was out and the clam would be fine.

Awfully hard not to go through air without introducing bag water (and who knows what else) into your tank.

ReachTheSky

Tridacna clams live in areas of the ocean where the low tide will sometimes expose them to air. Honestly it's fine. I've exposed my clams to air lots of times and nothing bad ever happened.

dmatt88

Tridacna clams live in areas of the ocean where the low tide will sometimes expose them to air. Honestly it's fine. I've exposed my clams to air lots of times and nothing bad ever happened.

All due respect I have friends that have said the same about drinking n driving. I've done it lots of times nothing bad has happened. I still consider both a bad idea.

ReachTheSky

All due respect I have friends that have said the same about drinking n driving. I've done it lots of times nothing bad has happened. I still consider both a bad idea.
Clams have evolved and adapted to being exposed to air for brief periods of time. In a sense, it's a very similar thing to some species of crabs or some catfish that come outside and hang out in the bare sun for a while. It does no harm to them.

No offense but that metaphor doesn't make sense. It's way out of context here. A better metaphor IMO would be you going for a swim in the ocean. It does no harm to you but extended periods of time under the water will kill you, as will extended periods of time in the air kill clams.

dmatt88

Clams have evolved and adapted to being exposed to air for brief periods of time. In a sense, it's a very similar thing to some species of crabs or some catfish that come outside and hang out in the bare sun for a while. It does no harm to them.

No offense but that metaphor doesn't make sense. It's way out of context here. A better metaphor IMO would be you going for a swim in the ocean. It does no harm to you but extended periods of time under the water will kill you, as will extended periods of time in the air kill clams.

Well there u go. Guess u have all the information you need now. Ps don't drink n drive.

Blue Space

Beautiful clam PSU4ME! Hope I get to enjoy one like that in my tank soon.

No disrespect to you Richard. I apologize if you thought it was sarcasm -it wasn't meant that way in the least. What you said regarding the burping made total sense.