PWA's 55gal FOWLR rookie Build

PWA

Okay this is the start of my 55gal FOWLR build witch I'm sure will become a full blown reef build with time :)

Tanks is set up-

The 30gal sump will go under the main tank with a curtain to hide the sump and equipment.

Sump will be a 30 gal with a SWC 150BMK so should be more then able to handle the bioload :). Ordering 50/50 dry/live rock from TBS this up coming weekend and will start filling the tank up. Already got a RO/DI unit from Bulk Reef supply on the way. So with in the next 2 weeks should start seeing leaps and bound on progression of tank. Want say a big thanks to all the Reef Sanctuary members and all your insight and help on setting this up :)

More to come
PWA

PWA

Order the Live rock/Dry rock 50/50 from Tampa Bay Saltwater tonight, and just finished gluing baffles in place in the 29gal sump. Next update should see major upgrades :)

PWA

Sump:

RO/DI
in its temp location for Initial Fill

Last edited:

PWA

We'll couldn't arrange any shipping from Tampa Bay Saltwater. :cursin: So went with LFS this is what $500 gets you in uncured rock in Fairbanks Alaska.... Going to get some dry rock next time I know anyone traveling up from the states so they can bring it on as carry-on :)

Got in on BRS bulk buy so got the Bubble Magus BM-NAC7 skimmer and my return pump a Mag-7. So sump should be up and running this weekend :)

Still got a lot of small detail work to finish up. But should all be done by sunday.

PWA

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

PWA

Not near enough 50 lbs according to my LFS I'm ordering another 60 from BRS to fill in the rest of tank.

PWA

Alien2100

So like 9.99 a pound, that's expensive. I will say those pieces do look heavy though, I always try and find the lighter mass pieces that are larger in size. (harder to find because that's what everyone wants, lol) But you can use what you have for your base rock and new lighter stuff on top.

PWA

We'll been a while since an update. I got my LifeReef overflow in, and absolutely love it took 2- 1/4 air hose to get to quiet down but it darn near 100% quiet.

Ordered a CUC from Reef Cleaners but unfortunately the damn USPS took 7 days to deliver a priority mail package :( John has been real good to work with and should have a new CUC shortly:) this time express :) also picking up a few Zoa's.

So when it all gets in next week I will update with pic's. But things are look great!!!
PWA

PWA

here is some picture updates:

Added some dry rock from BRS and snails... Add 3 blue/green cromis and a Coarl beauty just haven't had a chance to take pics yet.

So got about 110 lbs of live rock between DT and sump now.

PWA

PWA

Coral Beauty didn't make it :( nothing I've gotten from Petco has lived so no more money to them. Going to see if my LFS can get me one but damn double the price hurts.

Got $150 of Zoa's, Shrooms, and Rics from reefornot2reef on there way can't wait to get them in the tank and multiplying :) (pics will be upload ass soon as I get them in the tank)

Eric sent me a 36" PC light for my sump, so it now on a reverse Cycle to help stabilize PH swings and keep my Chaeto growing like no tomorrow or at lest thats the hope. ( Thanks a Ton Eric!!!)

Got a small hair algae out break but its only on 2 rocks so sure it will stabilize with time. It almost like the snails avoid the rocks like the plague. Kinda funny to have 98% clean live rocks all around then these 2 rocks covered with HA.

Any how, some rambling updates to my tank progress.
PWA

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Nice, so the lights are put to good use then?

They have been in my closet for some time now lol

PWA

Been a while since last updated. Zoa's all arrived dead still dealing with reefornot2reef to recover part of funds ended up with $240 dead zoas due to miss shipping :(

Got a Apex lite for Christmas and absolutely love it!! picked up a pair of hydor koralia 750's the made a world of difference for reducing algae growth.

Girl Friend brought home a beautiful Flame Angle from LFS it got 2 more week in QT then it get a new home :) I can't wait!!

O yea picked up 4 new bulbs for my light 2- ATI Blue +, 1- ATI Aquablue, 1- KZ Fiji purple

Pics will be forth coming in a day or so. camera batteries are dead :(

PWA

PWA

here are the pics.... yea i 'm a little slow.

full tank
img2941xq.jpg

Flame Angel
img2942n.jpg

img2947uc.jpg

img2951rb.jpg

Chromis
img2946q.jpg

PWA

Thanks Eric, yea the flame rocks!! and she's a character. I'll try and get a video sooner or later :)

PWA