Purple up???

KMP

It is basically aragomilk with some ionic Ca, and buffer. The aragonite is 10 microns. So far I have ssen one issue with it. A guy had Ca and Alk levels through the roof, he overdosed. He quite using it and did a bunch of water changes. The Ca now was OK but the alk still was high. I told him the aragonite powder was sitting on the bottom and for what ever reason it has now going into solution. He is seeing a bigger Alk shift than Ca, as the CaCO3 will yield two units of Alk for each unit of Ca. He is now siphoning the SB. Havent' heard back yet.

That'd be me. I did another water change last night and siphoned the SB. I will be testing the Alk tonight an will post the results.

I don't think it's a bad product, you just have to understand how that interacts with other additives you may be adding and follow the directions. In this case, I created the problem...not Purple Up.

The1poolman

as I understand it it is basically liguid phosphates. Not a good way to go. But this is only what I have been told I have not ever seen the stuff, just heard input on this before. Nothing can beat good ole fashioned correct chemistry. There are no short cuts in the reef.

Good luck. Let us know if you do use it how it works for you, what it is made up of, ect.

The1poolman

morbius18

I haven't had a problem with phosphates or nitrites or nitrates when using purple up.
It is only just a combination of aragomilk with some ionic Ca, and buffer as boomer said, not phosphates or nitrates or any organic proteins. For the most part it is a 2 part additive in one.
I put a double does (for 100 gallons) in 4 gallons of RO water and tested for phosphates, nitrates, nitrites and ammonia, all which came out to 0. I didn't test calcium or alkalinity, but I probably should repeat the experiment and test again.

MarbleShark

I went to http://www.lifeoceanic.com and they had a tank set up that they put Purple Up in. The tank looked awesome. It had greek ruins in it and the combination of the lighting, with the purple, and the ruins is actually one of the things that pushed me over the edge into finally getting a tank.

I have not put it in my tank as of yet because I have used the money I have had for essentials at this point, but am considering it one of the next things I purchase since it is not that expensive.

morbius18

I suppose it depends upon how many calcium needing organisms that you have. I have a heavy LPS/Clam tank and have a large calcium draw. I drip kalk continuously, about 2 gallons a day and purple up 2 times a week and maintain calcium from 400-450 and alk at 9-10 dKh.
Again, every tank will be different, in some people's tank, this would drive the calcium through the roof, and in others, it isn't enough, hence calcium reactors. My tank is a continuously evolving science project...

morbius18

Update on the tests on Purple up. I mixed up some RO water in a 5 gallon bucket and mixed the appropriate amount of purple up (1 ml per 5 gallons) and put a powerhead and let it circulate for about an hour or so.
I then tested the phosphate, and it tested at .5 mg/L!!! I quickly tested my makeup water and came up with a result of 0, so this batch of purple up definately has phosphates in it.
I don't know if I made a mistake on my previous test of the substance, or if there is a variance between different containers of the stuff.
My LFS ended up testing the same scenario on my bottle and came up with .25-.5 mg/l (less precise test kit).
I definately will not be using the purple up any longer....

MarbleShark

morbius18 said:
Update on the tests on Purple up. I mixed up some RO water in a 5 gallon bucket and mixed the appropriate amount of purple up (1 ml per 5 gallons) and put a powerhead and let it circulate for about an hour or so.
I then tested the phosphate, and it tested at .5 mg/L!!! I quickly tested my makeup water and came up with a result of 0, so this batch of purple up definately has phosphates in it.
I don't know if I made a mistake on my previous test of the substance, or if there is a variance between different containers of the stuff.
My LFS ended up testing the same scenario on my bottle and came up with .25-.5 mg/l (less precise test kit).
I definately will not be using the purple up any longer....

Ok I am new to this.. is that not an acceptable level? Is that tolerable or really bad? Could you use it to get the purple kick started and then stop?

Tigger

I have never used any Purple up or purple down. There is no need for it. regular water change and maintenace of yr KH and Ca level shld do the trick. Look at the the plating coralline aglae on my rocks.
DSCN2213.jpg

tatuvaaj

One side effect of using products containing solid CaCO3 particles is that it can purify your water as the fresh CaCO3 surface can bind dissolved organic matter and phosphates (but also "good stuff" like magnesium).

It is generally accepted that elevated phosphate (even lower than many hobbyist kits can measure) hampers coralline algae growth and calcification in general so at least in theory these kind of products can help in an indirect way.

Just my 2 cents :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
cwrenge said:
My Goodness... the next thing will be " Crab Polish " for Shiny Shells ...? does any one realise the new " Fad in Tanks "... the Nano-Tank... what a killer for the salt water life forms.... there seems to be not much awareness for respect to the aquarium life forms in the world today... to thoes in research of Marine life... whats your opinion of Nano-Tanks......watch what you say on this topic....it may lead to loss of financing....( sad isn't it ) cwrenge , NJ, USA
LOL! some times i just have to laugh

Frankie

RS STAFF
Well the reason i'm in this thread in the first place is because i lost patients with the BB not growing coraline fast enough and am trying the purple up. I see it growing on the bottom already and all my levels are staying steady. Im into my second week with it.

Frankie

RS STAFF
OK billy. Thanks. I need to drip again also. I use to use kalk but havent found it here in charleston yet.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Im going to have to vote the purple-up out. Since starting to use it i see a bit of cyno and i didnt have that before. I'll cut it out a week and see if it come back. I got it all out and it was just in the fuge. So im not to worried....yet