Purple up???

Ok a lot of people have been coming into the store and asking about the product "purple up" coraline algae excelorator! So i want to know what all of you think let me know!!!!
Shawn

We sell it but some people have said it is starting to work after a few weeks i thought this was awfully fast!!!

baja_01

Strikes me as another snake oil product. Who makes it?

Coralline should start growing on its own in a few weeks as long as you keep you cal and alk up and have some good seeder pieces.

cwrenge

My Goodness... the next thing will be " Crab Polish " for Shiny Shells ...? does any one realise the new " Fad in Tanks "... the Nano-Tank... what a killer for the salt water life forms.... there seems to be not much awareness for respect to the aquarium life forms in the world today... to thoes in research of Marine life... whats your opinion of Nano-Tanks......watch what you say on this topic....it may lead to loss of financing....( sad isn't it ) cwrenge , NJ, USA

forestal

see my post on your nano post cw...

Shawn...i know nothing about it, but other than calcium, what could it contain? I am also a bit hesitant on it...seems to me if you are doing everything right and taking your time, the coralline will come (case in point, my 120/150/100 system- just sitting there for 3 months with snails, live rock and dsb - coralline is growing daily where i have to scrape it off)
does the label say whats in it?

corvettephreek

i cant remember where I saw an article on it but I heard it works, however I am thinking too many chemicals= bad day for marine life. I am curious as to if it works as well......

nickt

Never tried it , but I did use Reef Vital Dna In my old tank when I first set it up. It really jumpstarted things. The purple coraline was growing on everything in just a few weeks. In about 1 1/2 months all of the rock wich was white , was completly covered. I really found no bad effects wich were rumored about products like this. Good luck

ReefDave

I use it in my tank because I got a bottle of it for free. Supposedly its basically super fine ground up calcium that "sticks" to the LR and makes it easy for coraline to get it (whatever). Its also got iodine in it. Its just another supplement, mostly useless I would say (but then again the coraline in my tank took off after using this but, I belive any Ca going into the tank is going to promote coraline growth and my tank is still pretty new so, it could also just be the tank settling in and things are starting to grow naturaly.)

Jiddy

WoW, i was going to say excatly what ReefDave just did. I use PurpleUp, it is worth it if you have no patience. All it is a Calcium/Iodine supplement. I think it would be nice to stock for people who are starting out, or like me who are seeding base rock with some LR. I recommend this product as a supplement, it will just accelerate a process that will happen on its one thou

lizardarm

i have it also, and aragamilk which is made by the same people. i got the purple up for free in a raffle. i can't really tell much of a difference between the two. ground up calcium carbonate skeletons and whatnot. not sure if any of it actually works to get the coraline growing. i've been reefing for about 3.5 years and have never had much coraline growth despite having correct water parameters for it. i wont say that it hurts anything, but there are better products to spend your money on.

Chiefmcfuz

I use it as well. It's a good suplement for a combo Iodine/Calcium sup. I have noticed that my coraline has started to really spread since using it. It may be a psych thing I dunno.

BoomerD

With good calcium, alk and light levels, coralline will grow just fine without "purple-up" or (agghhh) reef vital. IMO, the Marc Weiss products are just snake oil designed to separate you from your hard earned fish dollars...Do they contain things that are beneficial to your tank? Probably, but the important elements and ions are also in that bag of salt mix that you use. Avoid ALL the junk supplements that the LFS tries to get you to buy, and you'll have more money for corals and fish, PLUS, your tank will be healthier. The ONLY things you should be supplementing are calcium, alkalinity, IF testing shows them to be low...
NEVER supplement ANYTHING that you don't/can't test for!!

Blackness

I use it. Got it for free from a fish supplier. I use it as my calcium additive. I have a small tank( 29 gallons w/ 10 gallon fuge.) My calcium is always proper. I've even had coraline grow on african lace rock in 2 weeks time. I would recomend it to all small tank applications. the large tanks that I maintance, i wouldn't use because it's not cost effective, it's easier to use a calcium supplment.

morbius18

I tried it recently too, and was impressed with it. I seemed to grow coraline faster than usual in a newer tank that I set up. Since then I have gone to a kalk drip, but when i moved recently, my calcuim dropped and over the course of two days, using the purple up I was able to bring 340 up to about 400 before restarting my kalk drip. It was on a 65 w/29 refuge & Sump system, so about 110-120 gallons.
It didn't really seem to affect alkalinity, just calcium. But it did seem pretty decent for a calcium supplement, plus I can get it for $11 per bottle.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
It is basically aragomilk with some ionic Ca, and buffer. The aragonite is 10 microns. So far I have ssen one issue with it. A guy had Ca and Alk levels through the roof, he overdosed. He quite using it and did a bunch of water changes. The Ca now was OK but the alk still was high. I told him the aragonite powder was sitting on the bottom and for what ever reason it has now going into solution. He is seeing a bigger Alk shift than Ca, as the CaCO3 will yield two units of Alk for each unit of Ca. He is now siphoning the SB. Havent' heard back yet.

silverant

purple up also faltsly raises your nitrite levels as well, why I do not know thread on TRT a couple of days ago that was only one of the neg. that I rember