Purigen and Chemipure Elite? Redundant? or worth running both?

I use StevieT's media rack and run (top to bottom): Floss, Purigen, 11oz. bag of CPE. This definitely alters my flow and water level in the back (which in some ways is good; it means the water is running through and not around the media). My water is crystal clear and looks great, but I am concerned about the reduced flow, which sometimes starves my pumps if I'm not able to rinse or change the floss every day (once the floss gets a bit plugged, my pumps start to spew air bubbles).

Would I was thinking maybe I don't need to run both CPE and Purigen? Is that overkill? Any thoughts?

I also could buy the RSM 130D pump modification kit from InTank to put the pumps lower in the chamber of death, but thought I'd consider a change to the rack contents first.

Thanks!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
They do different things... cpe (carbon & gfo) is for reducing phosphate - Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste

Nob35

+1 with Glenn just make sure you do not overdose with Purigen as it will strip trace elements from the water if you have to much, at least I have read that it will as I do not know for sure.

Acanman

Ditch the filter floss. I only use for couple hours after a water change. That is 90% of your decreased flow right there. Or cut a few holes in it or cut a smaller piece so water can get thru above or below.

rhogeo

I have been running a StevieT media basket for years with floss on top, CPE in the middle and Purigen on the bottom. Seems to work great for me. Change the floss about once a week unless it looks really dirty, change the CPE and Purigen about every 3-4 months.

Ditch the filter floss. I only use for couple hours after a water change. That is 90% of your decreased flow right there. Or cut a few holes in it or cut a smaller piece so water can get thru above or below.

Cutting a smaller piece is a good idea; I will try that. Thanks.

ausreef

if you have decent liverock and a functioning skimmer both are redundant,after a few days they just cause nitrate,ive emptied my media rack and never looked back

ausreef

just over 12 months,always had nitrate issues, got rid of everything in the back and the nitrate slowly came down, now undetectable

Zenergy

RSM130D: I did the same thing. Got the InTank media basket and pump upgrade and I still had the COD flow issue with floss or smaller cut polyfilter - both would gunk up and cause small bubbles due to flow barely going over 2nd chamber wall. Btw, this also caused problems with my Tunez 9002 skimmer attached to the media rack - if the water level changes that thing needs adjusting or won't work. Took some advise from a friend, removed all media and got a TLF phosphate reactor running Rowaphos & ESV carbon. Tanks been cystal clear since with zero flow or bubble issues (I put an Eheim heater in the intake of the third chamber - didnt fit well in the second after the reactor). I then decided I didn't want to waste the rack so I got two underwater LEDs and made the first two levels into a small refugium that has been working great actually. My power rack clip broke to secure it to the side of the tank so its now in my stand, but a bonus I now can view the rack also good that I can keep an eye on it since this is def not a typical setup.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)