Protein skimmer without sump

drud0616

Hey everyone,
I've been reading a ton of conflicting information regarding setting up a reef tank, however the one thing that seems to always be recommended is a protein skimmer.
The problem I'm running into is my current tank setup does not contain a sump. I'd like to avoid having one as this can get very unsightly and I don't have a place to hide it in my tiny NYC apartment. I have a Cascade 1000 canister filter which connects to my 55 gallon tank. The questions I have is A: do I need a protein skimmer with this type of filter and B: how would I set this up given the lack of a sump. I hear that the "hang-on" skimmers aren't a covert good option either.

Thank you in advance!

david42

I would recommend using a protein skimmer. I started with a 55gallon and no sump. The skimmer I used was a Aqua C Remora hang on type. This was a nice skimmer for tank that size. It is thin and made of black acrylic. Blends in with back of tank.
I haven't seen many posts where people recommend keeping canister filters.

3dees

I have a 120 gal. sumpless tank with a hob Reef Octopus skimmer. all soft coral and 13 fish. going on one year and everything is fine. I went with the Reef Octopus because the pump is on the outside.

reefer gladness

The HOB skimmers may not be as good as the in-sump versions but still better than the canister IMO. In your case I'd ditch the canister filter entirely and get a good HOB skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2x your tank volume. The Reef Octopus skimmers are pretty good but there are other options.

Steve L

Get rid of the cannister filter. It will cause more problems than it will cure because they trap food and waste which will keep your nitrates high which most corals hate. You may feel that a hang on back (HOB) skimmer is unsightly but it's your only option if you don't have a sump. I have two tanks set up with HOB skimmers as their only means of mechanical filtration and they work great. Get a skimmer that is rated for a tank of about twice your size, or 100 gallons in your case. Reef Octopus makes the best skimmers in my opinion, especially the HOB types.

As long as you have adequate biological filtration with a sand bed and live rock, the skimmer will be all you need for mechanical filtration. Just don't be in a big hurry to add a lot of fish and corals. Over stocking your tank with fish and putting corals in too early will lead to disaster. Take it slow and easy, and don't be afraid to ask questions here. Most of us have learned the hard way the do's and don'ts of marine tanks, and are always willing to share what we have learned.

Tigersref

I have a Reef octopus HOB on my sump less 36 bow front which has been running for a year and a half and it works. I have a mix of soft and LPS corals.

Creekview

I have an eshopps PSK100 HOB (actually mine hangs on the side.) I only run it a couple days a month, but it works great.

Snid

On top of the HOB Skimmer, there are HOB Refugiums you could also add to boost the biological filtration and pod growth. ;)

Creekview

You could also install a HOB filter and convert it to an algae scrubber. I've done several aquaclears. A HOB refugium could also be retrofitted with a scrubber.

DaveK

In my opinion the OP should add a hang on tank skimmer, and keep the canister filter.

You'll want the canister filter for mechanical filtration and for any chemical media you may wish to use. Canisters should be cleaned weekly.

As for hang on the tank refugiums, they are more a "feel good" kind of item. They are really too small to be of much real benefit. A hang on algae scrubber may help but with a good skimmer, you don't usually need an algae scrubber.

Tigersref

Agree with DaveK on the HOB refugium. I had the CPR Aquafuge medium HOB and eventually, i took it down and put it away. I replaced it with HOB aqua clear 70 which i use as a media basket.

drud0616

Thanks for all of the great advice guys. Someone mentioned the odyssea pro pack skimmer, with a rio 800rvt pump as a good/cost-effective option for a protein skimmer. Just wondering what your thoughts were regarding this product? It's only around $50 which is 1/3 of the price from other HOB skimmers. That just makes me skeptical right off the bat

3dees

there is a reason. you get what you pay for. spend the 50.00 and in the end you will get a good skimmer and be out the 50.00. a skimmer is one piece of equipment you don't want to go cheap.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I don't have one, but I just watched several youtube vids of some hob skimmers - might check them out if interested...
https://www.google.com/search?q=esh...sm=119&ie=UTF-8#q=Reef+Octopus+Bh1000&tbm=vid

I really like the looks of the Reef Octopus 1000 Hang on the Back Protein skimmer BH1000

57 reviews here at BRS too...
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-bh1000-hang-on-the-back-protein-skimmer-1.html

Well Stocked Tank - Rated up to 55 gallons
Medium Stocked Tank - Rated up to 75 gallons
Light Stocked Tank - Rated up to 100 gallons

the eshopps also looks very nice...

https://www.google.com/search?q=esh...e=UTF-8#q=eshopps+PSK+100+HOB&spell=1&tbm=vid

Frankie

RS STAFF
Also if you want to spend some bigger money and do some research check out the KZ HOB skimmer.
The write ups are sketchy but I do like the design.