Promoting Reef Sanctuary

ed84g

Im a new guy around here but i signed up because this looked like a real friendly forum and i like the layout compared to some of the other forums ive seen.

Im not trying to come across as rude so please don't take this the wrong way as I may be completely out of place bringing this up (im not even sure that im posting this in the right place on the forum!). I also hope im not stepping on anybodies toes or offending anybody with what im about to say.:dunno:

Im not for a second suggesting that i know everything but as somebody who works in marketing, communications and media something really stands out to me on these forums

1. You dont really have much promotion or interaction with your facebook page aside from what looks like automated posts. Nothing that really engages your audience. I also had to google it and search to find it!
2. You don't have a Twitter which great for bringing in new people
3. Other social sites such as instagram can be great for finding new members using the correct hashtags etc. plus you could showcase great shots from the forums?
4. You are on YouTube but you could be using it so much more effectively

Im simply pointing this out because i see a lot of potential for such great potential for a great, helpful and friendly forum. I want to offer what i can to support the forum and this is what i know!

I work a lot with internet marketing and social media across my different jobs and do a bit of search engine optimisation as well. I do this for my Monday to Friday job, a family business, my personal DJing promotion and promotion of my radio show so i have a lot of knowledge in this area that i am willing to share. This includes working and integrating across different platforms, tools and developing marketing campaigns.

Is this something that the guys running this forum may be interested in promoting a bit more? Fair enough if you are not interested in this but if you are then im more than happy to lend my knowledge to get something started. I have a number of ideas that could be implemented to bring numbers up. Maybe a few of us could get together and have a chat/skype/email thread to brainstorm ideas?

It might sound like a bit of work but its really easy to set things up and with a few people on board it would be easy to establish and keep going!

If anybody has any thoughts please add them below

DaveK

Now I realize that many might consider me an old coot for saying this, but I don't use Twitter, Facebook, or the other "social media". I have two main reasons for this. First these sites have and are noted for extremely poor security. Often when a breach occurs they take an "oh well" attitude to security and fixing the problem. The second reason is that I really don't want to be tethered to the net by any of the social media. This is especially true of something like twitter where your limited to short messages.

Now if you like the social media, have a blast, but it's not for me, and I don't expect to get involved in it anytime soon.

So trying to get more out of the social media would not do anything for me.

StirCrayzy

Im with Dave on this one. Im avoiding FB-Twit-pinterest and anything of the sort.
I dont have time to keep other people updated with my life moment by moment.
Personally I get all my info right here on the site, and like it that way.
I do however see the value of using those media as a tool for giving members who do use them, an option.

I agree that this site could grow and benefit from more promotion. It is much more friendly here than other reef hobby sites that I have used, but it is often very sleepy.

ReefLady

Staff member
Hi ed84g, and thanks for the feedback.

I agree that we don't do much promotion, especially in the social space. That is due more to a lack of volunteers who are savvy in the space than anything else. I put some time into establishing a Facebook presence for us but as you have noticed, do not have the time to put into focusing on it as a promotional medium. Same goes for Twitter.

You will also see that the majority of our users are not exactly "there yet" as far as social media - I think if we could add some younger, more social-savvy members to our regular user base, that would help naturally bring the conversation to those media.

Feel free to PM me if you're still interested in helping out. I would love to discuss what you could do for us!

Thanks again for the thoughtful advice and feedback.

Travis