Pre-owned tank & brooklynella

funkoid

Has anyone every inherited a tank which has previously suffered from brooklynella?

Any way to disinfect the tank and sump etc and ensure you don't inherit the brooklynella?

DaveK

Is this a running tank or did you just get the equipment?
If it's running, does it have any livestock in it?

funkoid

Not been to see it yet, it was a running tank that had suffered from it about 12 months ago. It's a tank breakdown so will literally be just the tank, sump and cabinet

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
for an empty tank... here is a post I found from ChristineF from back in 2009... if it helps

Bleach is one of the safest and most effective methods for sanitizing an aquarium before the initial set-up. Many people are afraid to use bleach because they are afraid of its potency but actually it is perfectly safe if used correctly. We use bleach for sanitization because it is one of the most successful chemicals we have for disinfecting. It is commonly used in U.S. hospitals and is recommended by the Center for Disease Control. Bleach or Sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), is also safe for the environment. It breaks down very quickly, leaving mostly salt and water behind. Because it is a strong disinfectant that breaks down into harmless byproducts rapidly, it can be used to sanitize baby and pet toys, aquariums and yes it is even used to sanitize our water supply.

1. When buying bleach for aquarium cleaning, only use regular bleach like Chlorox Regular Bleach or an equivalent. Do not use bleach mixed with detergent. Detergents leave dangerous residue that can be fatal to aquarium fish.
  2. Using a typical household bleach (which is already about 5% bleach) mix 9 parts water with 1 part regular bottled bleach. I like to store it short term in a spray bottle purchased at my local hardware store. Note that bleach does break down fairly quickly so only make small quantities at a time. Never store bleach in a bottled previously used with other chemicals.
  3. Wipe any debris from the aquarium with warm water and a paper towel.
  4. Spray all surfaces of the aquarium with the 10% solution you have just created. I like to do this in my bathtub to contain the overspray. Sanitizing outdoors is also a good option.
  5. Let the aquarium sit for 10-15 minutes. Bleach is a corrosive chemical and can cause damage to your aquarium if left too long. Do not allow it to sit for longer than 15 minutes.
  6. Rinse thoroughly. When you are done rinsing, rinse again for good measure.
  7. Allow the aquarium to air dry completely. This will help to insure that the bleach solution has broken down into harmless byproducts.

See what others advise...

DaveK

Bleach is the way to go if the tank is not actually set up.

The method used in nanoreefing4fun'd post will work well, but I'm more lazy. I'd just clean it all with fw, and then set it up and fill it with FW and add about 1 cup of bleach per 10 gal and let it all circulate overnight. Then make several full water changes, using only FW, about once a day, until you can't smell any bleach. Note that in this case we are using less bleach but letting it run longer.