Power outage ?

sushi62

I'm in the Boston area and we're getting some weather. I have a Red Sea Max 130D and I was wondering how you handle a power outage? We rarely have them in my area, and hopefully we don't. My tank is only a month old so it's minimally stocked.

Kongor

Haha I am in CT, 30 inches here is what they are saying. I have my vortechs on back up but thats about it. Never lost power in this house so i am crossing my fingers.

I think the biggest problem in a short power outage is the fish suffocating. Ive had a couple power outs with my 55g, and my one royal gramma survived.

I'm in Boston too, and it looks like if there is an outage, it could be longer than a few hours. It really depends on what you have.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This is my "peace of mind" back-up:
null_zps1cd79fd6.jpg

I think everyone should HAVE A PLAN. :thumbup:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah a generator is best but the next best thing I think is the battery powered air pumps. They create flow and oxygenate. I'm prepared for the storm (in west roxbury) but I'm really hoping it doesn't go out. Always good to have extra water made too, this way you can dump it back and forth to keep things good.

Blankets, boil water in water bottles, manual water movement etc etc

Good luck everyone!

Stephane Cote

Thats a lot of snow! almost as much as when i got married. the day of we got 52 cm lol

I suffered from a power outage that lasted close to 16 hours. after doing research i found that taking a cup to take the water form the tank and dump it back (to create surface movement) is good every 10-15 minutes. then i used a wooden spoon to stir a current in the tank every so often.

i went out and got a generator too... it was cheap, 300$ and was 1600watts. enough to run all my Aquarium equipment.

Steph

olivert00

I happy to say I just had this installed Dec 2014, so tank is safe :)

9907d3d210cfcd4810d3611da33c5ca9.jpg

Debbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirrealism

I picked this up this summer. My tanks are safe. i live in fl and summers are brutal. I cant sleep in 90 degree heat + 90% humidity so I also got a couple little window shakers so I can at least cool my bedroom, run all my tanks, fridge, deep freezer and some fans. I also keep my 90g Rodi tank full just in case. Truth is I hope I never need it but I have lost tanks in the past because of power outages. So the money I spent on the gen is much less then loosing what I have invested in my tanks. Up north its pretty rare for you to loose power for long periods of time. But here in FL I have been 10 days with out power.