file-2.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-4.jpg

file-5.jpg

file-3.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Very nice installation! I like how you mounted the hood over the LEDs. Any problem with heat buildup under the hood?

RSM250PEARL

Great upgrade on the lighting and very cool that they fit under the hood. Did you leave the fans in the hood for heat extraction?

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Great mod. I'll be interested to see how your corals respond to the LED'S.

ccloanshark

After a long debate on which LED to get I decided to get the Aqua Illumination Sol Blue over the Maxspect G2-230.
Hood.jpg

HoodLED.jpg

This picture is with the white led at 0%, Blue at 3% and Royal Blue at 3%
tank.jpg

This picture shows all 3 light at 100%

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club!

Nice mod! I've been thinking about going with one AI Sol in my old 130 hood. You're close to convincing me. I was concerned that they'd be too intense for the corals that close to the surface, and the light spread is greater than I had imagined. Is that with the standard 40 degree optics or the 70 degree upgrade lenses? How did you mount them in the hood? Any pictures during the mounting process? Are you planning on running at 100% or cutting back to avoid bleaching the corals?

Sorry for all the questions. :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
ccloanshark - can you help me out with some questions (from my post 392):

Is that with the standard 40 degree optics or the 70 degree upgrade lenses?
How did you mount them in the hood?
Any pictures taken during the mounting process?
Are you planning on running at 100% or cutting back to avoid bleaching the corals?
Using the AI Sol controller?

Thanks much!

ccloanshark

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club!

Nice mod! I've been thinking about going with one AI Sol in my old 130 hood. You're close to convincing me. I was concerned that they'd be too intense for the corals that close to the surface, and the light spread is greater than I had imagined. Is that with the standard 40 degree optics or the 70 degree upgrade lenses? How did you mount them in the hood? Any pictures during the mounting process? Are you planning on running at 100% or cutting back to avoid bleaching the corals?

Sorry for all the questions. :)

I believe it's the standard 40 unless the blue came with 70 degrees. I mounted it to the original bracket with two alumium rail I made. I don't have any pictures of the mounting process but I do have a picture of how it looks like from the inside so you can see how I mounted it. No, I will not be running it at 100.. These lights are way to bright. I'm currently running at 25 - 40% throughout the day.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Got it - thank you! If you have that picture of how it looks like from the inside I'd appreciate posting it, when you get the chance.
From what I got from AI the 40 degree optics are standard, and the 70 degree is an additional upgrade order via AI.

Edit - from AI:

"If you want the 70 degree optics, you have to purchase them separately from us and purchase the module from one of our dealers. Then you would install the lenses yourself.

The lenses can be purchased for $25 per set of 4."

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
From what I understand the 70 degree optics give it a better light spread. I'm not sure if that $25 per set of 4 is for each led or for each circular group of LEDs.

Is the AI controller easy to use? Does it allow a gradual increase and decrease in light intensity to simulate sunrise/sunset (up to your selected maximum %)?