Post Your Awesome Favia Here!

yoshiod9

since most other sp. had their 'special' place, i decided my favia's needed a place to not feel left out just because they aren't a. lordhowensis or an sps. with that being said, post your favia pics!

i'll start off with one of my red green(i just fragged the mother colony two night ago) frags and then you can all witness the rarest color morph i have ever laid my eye on. the purple and green favia. love them and cherish them. :turntable

Attachments

• red and green favia.JPG
    red and green favia.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 226
  • purple and green favia frags.JPG
    purple and green favia frags.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 227

mps9506

I can't follow up with anything near as cool as yours, I haven't started doing any real favia hunting yet, but here is my orange with white stripes and green mouth favia:
379brain-med.jpg

AJinNY

Muffler thats GORGEOUS. What a great piece. I think I saw that on one of the online websites...is that where u got it? I noticed it was marked "SOLD".

Great piece!

AJinNY

what freebee did u get?

Im wary about online buying but I have to admit Im seeing some nice pieces. Maybe I'll give it a try.

mps9506

AJ, I promise ya, you won't go wrong buying from any of our sponsers, check out sharkys, Premium aquatics, Mary at Sea Crop, Atlantis and Exquisite Corals just joined up. When Clams and Corals Direct.com are up and running they will be good to check out also. You shouldn't have to worry about ordering from any of those folks.
I've also personally had good experiences with Dr Mac, Reefermadness, Phishy Buisness and reeffarmers.
BTW, I think a red eye'd favia just might be my next purchase, after my next set of LE's come in...

va_reefman

Matt, very nice piece there. If you have the piece in medium light then make sure you move it down to a very low light or you won't be able to keep that color contrast. It happened to a frag I cut for my friend before.

John

Thanks for the advice John, It just started to extend its feeder tentacles tonight...They look transparent purple under my lights! I think it looks almost as good as my lords!
Matt

yoshiod9

i suppose favites should be allowed as well, huh, randy?

atlantis is one of our sponsors and a dfs(distant fish store...though anything within 100 miles i consider local). they have and never will disappoint! awesome people(ming and joleen) with awesome customer service. if you guys are ever in the bay area...check them out!

MaryHM

RS Sponsor
Here's a really nice one we got for SeaCrop from the Solomon Islands last week. Nice blue tones to it:

favia.jpg

faviaz.jpg

Here's one we had on our wholesale site this week- Odd combination of red centers and lavender body.

MVC-146S.JPG

By the way, RandyO- that's a favia you have, not a favites.

RandyO

MaryHM said:
By the way, RandyO- that's a favia you have, not a favites.

This piece came in from Bali labeled Favites chinesis, and I think it's pretty accurate.
Faviteschinensis.jpg

Here are a couple F.chinesis from the Whelk gov site.
162-01M.jpg

162-03EM.jpg

162-04E.jpg

162BW-01.jpg

Characters: Colonies are massive and rounded. Corallites are shallow, angular to subplocoid, with thin walls. Septa are straight and even. Those of adjacent corallites are aligned across the wall. There are no paliform lobes. Colour: Usually yellow or greenish-brown. Similar species: Favites complanata, which has larger, more excavated corallites with thicker walls. See also F. bestae. Habitat: A wide range of reef environments. Abundance: Uncommon.

Source reference: Veron (2000). Taxonomic references: Wijsman-Best (1972), Veron, Pichon and Wijsman-Best (1977). Identification guides: Veron (1986), Sheppard and Sheppard (1991), Nishihira and Veron (1995).

I guess it's possible that my coral is not F.chinesis. But until I find another match as good as this one, that's what I'll call it.

RandyO

Mufflerguy said:
That peice is awesome Randy!
Do you get these from the fish store you work at?
Matt

Sometimes. They get in some really nice stuff.

Just got two of these exact corals.
MVC-146S.JPG

Also got a solid red one, and a couple red and green Favias. 5 months ago, they got lucky and one of the favias was an Acan lord.