Possible red bugs???

blue_eyes53813

1:00 pm. Not a whole lot of change. About 2 of my acros have a very light slime covering on them. The red bugs are still on the acros but not moving. All livestock seem fine. Just fed them and they all ate as usual.. Acros have polyp extension and seem fine..

blue_eyes53813

3:35 pm 4 hours into the treatment. Everything still looks good. Very few Sps still have a thin slime covering on them. Nothing to bad though. The red bugs are falling off. Still a few bugs visible but not moving...

The bad part is a missed a few hermits that are now dead,... I pulled 4 dead ones from the tank...

A good thing I just thought of is that I have been trying to catch a huge HH crab that has been in the tank for 3+ years. Maybe this stuff will get rid of it.. It has cost me a lot of $ in zoanthids..

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks for the update - sorry about the hermits, but glad it's getting the bugs! And yes, would be a nice "plus" to get rid of the HH crab.

mzreenie

Back in October you thought that they were not red bugs. What happened? Did they go away and come back? Did you see them during the past two months? (I only ask so that I can learn.)

blue_eyes53813

I dont know what happened mzreenie. In October I didnt see any on my acros . It may have started at that time when i saw the bugs on the glass and passed it off as copepods. I didnt see any since than. I guess these red bug only like smooth skinned sps and which most of mine are thicker skinned hydnophoras and bushy acros. i only have about 3 smooth skinned. I dont know how I missed them since then... I have a frag rack and I went to move one of my frags on there and when I turned it I noticed them on the back side of the coral that I dont see a lot..

I checked over my other smoothed skinned acros with a magnifying glass and saw them at the base hiding...

So now the treatment is on... To tell you the truth I actually forgot about the little buggers.. All corals seemed to be doing good and so I didnt look..

My bad...

Frankie

RS STAFF
There is something wrong with the post times in this thread? I hope all works out Vicki. DO you have acro crabs also? It would be a loss for me to loose the acro crabs. If you do have them and they die, you might want to get some tweezers to pull them out after. Keep the updates coming!

blue_eyes53813

Im not 100% sure mzreenie but They eat off the acros. Some people dont see a big difference in the acros and have red bugs along time. I have heard they stress the coral out enough there isnt polyp extension and the coral lose color. I dont want to take any chances and want the colors of my acros to be bright...

Thank you Frankie. I dont have any acro crabs that Im aware of...

Last edited:

blue_eyes53813

11:30 P.M 12 hours in . I turned the skimmer back on and put the carbon back in the tank... Skimmer went crazy with a wet skimmate... Which is good..

11:00 A.m Jan. 1st 09. Almost 24 hours in and tank is fine... No Big change except no Bugs....Yea.... This Medicine is the best..

Im planning on doing a water change tomorrow and repeat treatment In a week.

funkpolice

how many treatments do you have to do? I'm getting new lighting soon, and will probably gaet a few sps, so I'm trying to learn about them now. Can you see these redbugs with the naked eye?

blue_eyes53813

Yes you can see them with the naked eye but they are very very very small. I am gonna look into a dip type treatment for new corals from now on. The original link that BigAl posted at the beginning of this thread is a great read up on the treatment process for th bugs.

Melevsreef.com - Interceptor | Red Bug treatment

There really isnt a set treatment for these pest but I am following the link above and am gonna do 3 treatments 1 week apart each.

So The next 2 Wednesdays at 11:30 Am. I am gonna pulverize the interceptor pill and disolve it in tank water and poor it into High flow in the tank...Turn off skimmer and remove carbon for 12 hours.

There really isnt much talk about water changes or a set schedule. Some say 6 hours in some say 48 hours and even 72 hours into the treatment. I think I am gonna stick with my normal water change schedule which will be 72 hours in.

I did make a big batch of fresh SW just in case.. But all is going well with the treatment and havent needed to do an emergency treatment yet.