Porcupine Puffer gone Blind

bgfrank213

Hello to everyone,

I am fairly new to the hobby. I have a
30 gal Cube/ 25 lbs live rock. Fluval C3 filter. Fluval Heater.
1 Porcupine Puffer
4 Damsels
1 Green Emerald Crab
2 small red crabs
5 Hermit Crabs
5 Snails

1.026 SG
PH 8.0
Ammonia = 0<0.25
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 160 ppm
My puffer has gone blind, I first noticed about 3 weeks ago. I have tried Melafix for 1 week, and although his spirits have improved, I can tell he doesnt see. He used to come to the tank immediately to beg for food like a little dog. Ive had him for about 8 months now, never any problems. I feed him dried shrimp, frozen krill, Sallys Marine Cuisine. Now the only way that he eats is if I literally hand feed him. Im really bummed out. I know that I need to keep weekly water changes until my Nitrates are down. I could really use some help, Im sad that my Gordo is blind. The other fish in the tank seem fine except for him, he is blind. Any advice is welcome.

Snelly40

apparently ive read that its quite common and I know some guys on here have had some luck getting them to see again... i'll wait till they chime in tho haha

bgfrank213

I grab my puffer, and feed him dried shrimp or other frozen food. If hes hungry he will eat it otherwise he spits it out. He/She, I dont know its a he or a she, never puffs up when I grab him. It seems like he expects me to grab to feed him since he is blind. Any advice you have I would appreciate it.

Steve L

Under perfect conditions it "might" get its eyesight back, but you have way too many fish and too little space for them, especially the puffer which needs at least 150 gallons. My guess is that the water parameters jump up and down a lot and the stress caused him to get sick in the first place. Even young and small puffers need big tanks to move around in. Your 30 gallon tank just isn't big enough for anything other than a very temporary home for a fish like a puffer.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Here hoping for the best !

Mike Johnson

Just four damsels is pushing the stocking capability of a 30 gal., without the puffer. The recommended tank size for a Porcupine is 180 gallons. Upgrading to a 50 gal. isn't going to change much. And, although it is widely reported that nitrates aren't poisonous to fish, it is also well known that high nitrates (160) will be detrimental to fish health. Are you feeding the puffer foods that will help to wear down it's teeth?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+39+244&pcatid=244

bgfrank213

I feed him dried shrimp, krill, Sally's marine cuisine, live goldfish, and he would eat some of my hermit crabs. I would also get tiny snails which he would enjoy. Now that he can't see I haven't had to buy any hermit crabs to keep the same number of cleaners.