Poll-Cost of a reef tank???

what is the best tank for a new reefer???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You can find retro light kits on ebay a little cheaper thats if you have ,buy ,or build a canopy but if you want a complete hood 500 to 1000 dollars

The aqua light pro is nice but I believe the ballast are short lived we've already replace one in less than 7 months but the company made it easy no questions just shipped a new one free of charge

Thats warrentys only good for a year I'm hoping the ballast hold I the fixture looks great low profile clean and if you change the bulbs you got a really nice light

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You can find retro light kits on ebay a little cheaper thats if you have ,buy ,or build a canopy but if you want a complete hood 500 to 1000 dollars

The aqua light pro is nice but I believe the ballast are short lived we've already replace one in less than 7 months but the company made it easy no questions just shipped a new one free of charge

Thats warrentys only good for a year I'm hoping the ballast hold I the fixture looks great low profile clean and if you change the bulbs you got a really nice light

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
There are alot more hidden or forgotten cost look into like the replcement filter for rodi units, sumps,light bulbs ,books,old pumps (THE ELECTIC BILL) lol

Gina

RS STAFF
Don't forget your RO/DI unit!
They come in a variety of cost from many different vendors.
We purchased our Aqua-safe 6 stage off e-bay for $75.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
EEK said:

Because a standard 75 isn't very tall MH isn't a must, there are many options when it comes to lighting PC's T5's and of course Retrofit MH if you buy the stand/canopy combo which will be much cheaper than the complete hoods, which IMHO are overpriced.

Snelly40

I have a 24G nano, and would recommend starting with a larger tank. Parameters change in a mater of minutes it seems, and it takes a lot of upkeep. However, i do love it. Even tore my leg open this weekend on my glass cover which i had taken off to do a water change. Well a quick turnicate allowed my to finish the water change before heading to the hospital to get 26 stiches, but the tank looks great :)
its truelly a great hobby

KMP

Ow! Hope you're feeling better. Sounds like you will be hurting a few days.

Kenny

12g Dude

Cost....Depends on how much homework you do initialy, how good the advice you receive is and how attentative you are. IF you jump blind and try to figure it out on your own...It'll cost you, both in lost livestock and in purchasing needless equipment to remedy bad husbandry issues (bandaid on a bullethole syndrom). Someone that's done the homework, has received good advice and done some savey bargain shopping can come out with a beautifull reef tank for around a grand. Me on the other hand.....I'm in it for about $4k with a 55 gallon community tank, 32 Gallon bowfront and a 12g Nano. All are now doing well, but the learning curve was ugly! I'm lucky the wife is very understanding. ...(Hey, I don't gripe when she gets her nails done every couple weeks...right!):doh:

Teeka

My cost to set up my 2 month old tank was:
120 AGA Megaflow $450.
stand and canopy $550.
Euroreef 135 $564.
custom sump $500.
sump light(home depot) $45.
timers for 4 $59.
plumbing $150.
Pan world pump $319.
Lights $600.
Power heads $52.
wavemaster $120.
ph monitor $100.
salt $109.
base rock. (60lbs $100.
live rock(60lbs) $350.
sand $120.
Salifert test kits $45.
Refractor meter $59.
Tank Ground $15.
Moonlights $50.
5 stage ro/di $150.

fixing to get the topoff off of Melev sites.
But I had the okay to get what I wanted.

jcoopergd

Remeber, all tanks related reciepts are tax writeoffs for your home office..

a good tax attorney can do many things...

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Wit is right. if your worried about money and the cost this is not a hobbie for you. Still nice to know what your getting into

lcstorc

Does to me, but not the IRS. LOL
Guess you could try to get a prescription from your Dr. Was able to write off my hot tub that way and avoid sales tax.
LOL

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Agree with all that has been said...I could not agree with you more Witty about the money thing...

But just some advice from one (me) who had a tank crash without my help...:rolleyes: IMHO you should keep a list of costs of what you have only for the purpose of something happening in a worst case scenario like mine....Most of my tank needs to be replaced and I had all of it documented...made it easier to submit for insurance purposes...

Frankie

RS STAFF
R.yumaDaddy? said:
My Mom use to complian about how much I spend on my aquariums. So I just replied "would you rather I spend it on drugs", and that solved that. :D
LOL awesome :)

kinghokus420

72g tank/stand/hood/20g sump "lfs special" 850$
AWI dual home reef RO/DI 225$
asm g2 skimmer 225$
mag 9 70$
2 seio 820's 140$
hamilton 2x250 hood used from someone on RC 500$
2 reeflux bulbs 120$
150 lbs used aragonite sand 30$
102 lbs LR 360$
MJ 1200 20$
2 20A circuits/wire/GFI outlets/asstd wiring doohickeys 125$
beer and lots of it 200$$ at least
PVC pipe and fittings/glue 50$
filter socks 15$
test kits 75$
refractometer 50$
heater 20$
books 75$
eggcrate 10$
timers 20$
uh................
im sure theres a lot more but im drawing a blank right now
this is a 3 month old tank with lots of time spent reading and collecting parts

total 2980$ (not counting beer)give or take a few hundred
this is before the few corals and fish i have now

jrf1175

Well since I am at this stage in my planning here is what i have calculated. I have went a bit high-end here since I don't see upgrading in my budget over the next 5 years and wanted to have a system I would be happy with. Prices in CAD

90 Gal (starphire) - $500
Custom sump - refugium $450
Stand Canopy - $1000 custom build
(some ready made units for a 90 are as high as $1300+)
Skimmer $300-400
Lighting $1000
Circulation (Wavy-sea) $320
Return Pump - $300

I don't even want to think about everything I need once I want to add water!!!

Cheers,
Jayme