Poll-Cost of a reef tank???

what is the best tank for a new reefer???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
This thread may have been done I've never seen it,and I think it would be good info for up and comming reefers.

I guess it depends on what you want and how you set it up.Either way I don't really know that there's a cheap way to accomplish a full blown reef that's really cost effective.

Now lets find a standard tank for everyone to agree on then well let everyone decide how much it would cost them to set up

I'm just gonna go with common reef ready tanks 55,75,90,125gal I know we got some monster tanks out there and some nanos but we'll say the standard for a newbe is 40gals and up recomended

Ok lets vote for the perfect size newbe tank and go from there onces we figure out the most wanted tank by poll everyone can decide how much it would cost to set up

This is just a round about thing I'm curious to see the out come :jumprope:

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
yes the biggest you can afford is right.

My question is how much can you affored and how do you know always unforsign problems can we set a standard if someone asks you how much would it cost me to set up a reef tank? lets give them a resonable answer rather than how deep is your pocket

I just want to beable to say if you want a 55 gallon reef tank your looking at this amount of money give or take $500.00

percision guess work is the goal here

Just to give the person a good idea of what there getting into

I'm also going for a complete tank not just what you can afford at the moment

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I think a 75 gallon is a perfect size for a beginner. It's not so deep that Metal Halides are a must, it allows you to keep a couple of medium size fish and it's not so narrow that it'll be difficult to aquascape. Also with this size tank you can get some real good skimmers for a reasonale price.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Cheeks got it.

That's what I'm getting at not what we want personally and what we dream of, but what we'd suggest to a person that hasen't done all the trial and error.

sorry for the run on i'm tired late for me now adays

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
For the basics:

Tank stand/canopy- Around $650.00
Sump- will depend if you DIY or custom order $100.00+
Skimmer-$250.00+for a good one
Lighting-$300.00+
Pump-$100.00+
Live Rock-300.00+

Ok, here's my two cents. This tread should also be combined with the nano reef craze thread. I jumped into this with a 36g bowfront corner tank thinking that it would be a good "starter reef". Advice from the LFS was pro nano reef and that would be "easy" with a "smaller" tank......way wrong! I didn't know that the smaller the tank the bigger the problems. I've sunkmore than a couple of thousand into my tank. I've made some major mistakes with stocking and balancing and I've killed a few things along the way. I think billyr98 hit the nail on the head...."the biggest you can afford." Water perimeters are easier to control, there's room to add "too many fish" or mix the wrong species of corals and the cost of maintaining a large tank is probably equal to the cost of maintaining a smaller one. I also think that the smaller tank will lead to more problems and the more likelyhood that one would give up the hobby because of that. Then all is lost....the money, the animals... and the love of the hobby. Then again, that's just my two cents.

Witfull

i would budget a starting point of $2K to start a tank out right. yes at first to souunds like alot,,bit to do it right is actually cheaper.

out of that money,,,spend $50 on a good book(s), and some internet connection fees, and some serious time researching.these 3 things combined will save money and grief. one thing that must be stressed is this is a hobby, not a lil something pretty to look at thing. hobby means dedication, effort and love...every hobby takes money,,,look at some others,,,golf, RC vehicles (cars,planes, hilocopters), car racing, all of these are done for the joy they bring, self satisfaction they give, and all require time and money expenditure.

with the above said, the money is actually secondary to what we get out of it. just like that perfect golf swing, reefs take time,,,but once you feel that,,,"oh yes, sweet" feeling,,does the money really matter?

R.yumaDaddy?

My Mom use to complian about how much I spend on my aquariums. So I just replied "would you rather I spend it on drugs", and that solved that. :D

boozeman

Don't forget the cost of maintaining the aquarium, especially if it's a big one.
Electricity, halide bulb replacements, water conditioners/additives, food, salt and water changes (the list goes on and on) can really add up.
All these far out-weigh the initial cost of the aquarium and equipment itself ....but by far the largest long term cost is the time spent on caring for your system (I'm sure if you were to get paid for the time spent it would amount to a decent part-time salary!)
Echoing what Witt said, the amount of money spent truly is secondary...and, at the risk of sounding like a bad credit card commercial I would have to say...
cost of setting up and running a reef... thousands
the enjoyment it brings to you and your familly....priceless!!

lcstorc

I'm with you all.
Won't even look at the credit card receipts. I would freak out entirely.
However with that said, it is worth every penny and more.
Something new every day and some really cool new friends as an added bonus.
Peace
Lynn

fidojoe

Fish Addict
R.yumaDaddy? said:
My Mom use to complian about how much I spend on my aquariums. So I just replied "would you rather I spend it on drugs", and that solved that. :D
I should try that some time :D

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
:winner: I'm not sure how I got the poll to end 2/12/2009 at 12 pm but at any rate as of now the 75 gallon takes it by one vote

so if any ones interested take the time to add up how much it would cost you to set up this this tank everyone does it diffetent cost will very

so start adding how much will it cost for you to set up a 75 gallon reef complete take your time and do it right

thanks

KMP

It would be nice to see an itemized listing of how the tank woudl be set up also by the pros. I would appreciate that alot since I find myself searching for a 75g tank but have no clue where to go from there :)

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
75 gallon oceanic reefready itemized

Tank 289.00
stand 370.00
mega flow set up 50.00
aqua pro light sys 699.00 thats 2X150 halides 2X96 pc
nautilus te skimmer 154.99
tide pool 2 sump 169.99
3 power heads 75.00
Ro/DI 150.00
power strip 25.00
light timers 50.00
phos ban reactor 36.00
phos media 12.99
mag 12 pump for return 99.99
mag 7 pump for skimmer 54.99
mag 3 for phos reactor 24.99
4 bags live sand 28.99 ea.
mag float 350 17.99
heater 26.99
hydrometer 6.79 refractometer 69.99
3X45lb box live rock fiji 179.99
200 gallon salt mix 39.99
nets 10.00
food 30.00
plumbing 100.00
Tota l= 2,930.91

I forgot test kits,additives, and wave make for power heads just add 300.00 give or take

:thumbup: That should just about cover it for the most part I missed a few things the prices are from that pet place and are accruate my total may not be I added it quick it'll be more if anything

also add thousands of dollars in time headachs and livestock.It's all worth it in the end lol. This is how I would set this tank up for a new reefer low maintanence most of the parts and pieces are on the resonable side so sticker shock will not kill them

KMP

That's what I'm talking about. Gives me a chance to see what equipment is being used/preferred.

Subtracting stuff I have (food, nets, heaters, etc.) I'm only $2,300 away from your estimate. Thanks EEK!