Pocky's RSM 130D Adventure

Pocky

Yes, a post-Christmas gift it will be, considering we went to 2 LFSs last night and didn't see any other pair of Nemos we liked after a guy bought our selected pair.

So this is a stupid question but I should just ask. I read the manual last night, but I'm still not exactly clear. How do you top off in the RSM 130D? The rear chamber will see water levels lowering, so you just add it to the back chamber? Is there a "fill line" I should use as a benchmark?

crespeto

yeah and we are all happy again :)

Good luck with tossing in the CUC including the emerald for your son. Like I said my whole family love catching either of my 2 out in the open, and they are a trip to squirt food near by at feeding time as they get all active with their arms. Just figured I'd give you let you know that you might have to watch them some if you get soft corals. It is possible that mine was just cleaning it off and aggrevated it so it shrunk and I'm over reacting :)

Good luck with adding some fun stuff, and from what it seems patients is usually good way to go with this whole hobby obsession, so couple more days of ammonia dosing and testing surly can't hurt. Good luck with the jet and skimmer and any other toys you have on the way for the tank. :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Glenn or other 130D owners can help with that. It's been so long since I've had to top off manually that I can't remember the best spot to add the water. I think it's in the back but I'm not 100% sure.

redsea reefer

I top up behind the surface skimmer grate. My surface skimmer is all the way up and I fill it till the water is just above the grate.

Dweezil

I keep forgetting you live in SoCal ...I almost never have to top off in the Winter here. It gets pretty cold so I have very little evaporation. I do in the Summer months though. If it's just a little bit your adding it would be okay to add right to the DT. I keep my water levels pretty high in my tank. The water is actually just touching the underside arms of the hood. I have my surface skimmer set so that the teeth barely break the water surface and that's what I use as my water line. (I can't see the water level indicators on the side very well the way my tank is situated.)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I run my RSM's tank stock, so the water levels I run at are what I have found to be optimal for my tank & it's stock skimmer.

On mine, I look at the water level window (back left side on 130D models) and fill my tank to right below the top line. This is relative though, because of two elements, flow & the skimmer cup height. On mine I have my skimmer cup between 3/8" & 1/8" from the top position.

I have always manually topped-off my ro/di water, by just pouring it into the main tank... not saying that is best, just how I do it, some choose to add it to the back, I just find it easier to add it to the main tank.

Never any stupid questions, we are all learning & most of what we share, someone shared with us along the way, always feel free to ask any questions & as many as you have.

Hope this helps !

PS - Congrats on the 9002, when you get it installed, ask the 9002 owners for water level advise - an ATO (automatic top off) is a very nice add on & will help with skimming I believe, as water levels for all skimmers is a big key - imo

Pocky

Yes, there are an endless number of add-ons in this all-in-one tank. :eek: I am lazy so I may need that ATO before I get the Vortech MP10. Or maybe I should just get both at the same time! The good thing is that I told my family including 2 brothers and sister that I don't want any other gifts this Christmas besides funding for my new hobby. So we'll see how much of this I already have covered so far. My in-laws can be generous too.

I'm sick so working from home today. But this gives me a chance to play around with my tank. I do want to figure the logistics out before I add any livestock to minimize their stress. I'm going to go take out the ceramic rings and look at your recommended water levels now...

Pocky

Thanks, Glenn. I read through Lee's reply. It seems that in order to get to a mature aquarium, you do need to introduce fish and other livestock to produce organics and fats needed for the "other" bacteria, so it almost seems like a catch 22. Probably why people used to use the sacrificial damsels.

I do not intend on going crazy. I have read through many posts of yours where you suggest one fish or a pair every 4 weeks or so. It will keep this project more exciting anyway. It's always more fun to have something to look forward to than getting everything at once (although I haven't followed my own advice as far as add-ons.... oops!)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Your very welcome! I do advocate adding only one fish a month or a pair, as this has worked well for me. It is fun to have something new to look forward to, by going slower... Adding and watching the cuc is great fun & adding corals even one a week, is what I did to help pass the time till I added my next fish.

One more tip on adding corals... in my 1st swt (my 130D), I kind of wanted to get it filled up with corals & picked some of the cheaper ones, after a year mt tanks was full & I didn't have hardly any room for more, starting my 2nd tank now, I am adding them more slowly & picking nicer ones.

of the corals you listed - Torch, Frogspawn, or Hammer , I think any or all of these would be great choices & beautiful, I love colorful, wavy / flowie corals and that you would have success with any of these.

Check out this website & look for level 1 & 2 corals, for some more ideas on some great coral. https://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/caresheets

Pocky

Torches, Frogspawn, and Hammers are so pretty. I love the long, flowing ones too. I'm also hoping that the clowns will host one of them without killing it. I know it's hit or miss. Just don't want to risk getting an anemone so early and being more difficult to keep.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
oh... also want to say... todays post in your thread & my asking Lee about it, lead Lee to update this time-lines... I just saw in his Mature Aquarium thread he did, I was like wow !

"Last edited by leebca : 12-22-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Time-line adjustments"

Lee has taught me so much... I am a disciple of his advise & I am always pointing members to his background & experience - if interested http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/45723-lees-bio-k-leebca.html

Pocky

Lee has an impressive resume. I don't think I can wait 3 months to add a fish though. I want to go slow, but I'm afraid I may lose interest altogether by then! Lots of people on this forum have had great success going a tad faster, but I will definitely keep Lee's recommendations in mind.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks, Glenn. I read through Lee's reply. It seems that in order to get to a mature aquarium, you do need to introduce fish and other livestock to produce organics and fats needed for the "other" bacteria, so it almost seems like a catch 22. ......

Very interesting! I rest my case. :)

There we go with the bio again. Maybe I should post mine LOL!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I added my 1st fish at about week 8 (as Terry pointed out, faster than Lee suggested) & do agree, every tank is different. I hope my post & links to Lee's post and others, are informational & just am making them so members can use them in making good decisions - I don't think there are absolutely right & wrong, just take it all in & then go with what you think is right for your tank. Always has been differences of opinions on cycling tanks. Bottom like is have Fun, it's one of our hobbies & it is suppose to be fun, not a taxing duty.

The worst case scenario is a fish lost & even if that happened, you would learn from it.

Again, I think you have been doing your homework & are on your way to success.
045.gif

Lots of new members will be getting tanks for Christmas & over the next couple of months of the new year, you will see lots new members joining the club - thanks for entertaining these discussion in your thread, as it will help others I am sure of this.

All the Best !!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
On others opinions of Lee and his advise, get outside the RSM Club & ask...

It was Admin Doni (Woodstock) that posted Lee Mature Aquarium thread & mod Frankie that said "Great info Leebeca! This is what i was taught also" & I know mod BigAl has posted many time he also agrees with Lee's advise as does many seasoned aquarist, I am not along in my admiration for Lee.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Post 91.....

Let's start a new thread or post in my tank thread any criticism you have of me & not continue this in Pocky's tank thread.

Since you're still on the topic - this was your timetable on your new 250:

9/21 - Water & shrimp added
10/20 - CUC added, so I assume the cycle was completed
10/20 - lots of corals moved over & new ones added
10/30 - several fish now in the tank

Looks like about 10 days after the cycle was under control you had added several fish to the tank. Far from being a mature tank. :p

Pocky

Don't they say that holidays are the most stressful time of year? I must admit that I'm enjoying the banter because of my slightly dark sense of humor, but I do hope that we can have a group hug at the end of it all. :hug1:

As a distraction, here is an updated pic although not very exciting. It is interesting that I have algae and diatoms only on my live rock and not on the marco rocks. It's a bit difficult to tell in the picture though. We'll see what happens because I increased lighting to 8 hours today from running 6 hours/day before.

Earlier, I removed the ceramic rings and put the charcoal in the skimmer chamber. I'm glad I listened to you all because the ceramic rings were already getting dirty and it's only been 11 days with no livestock. Maybe I can do the Tunze mods while I'm waiting for the media rack to get here.

DSC_0529.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Unfortunately, no matter how you cycle a tank, you have to suffer through the diatoms. Hopefully you won't get a major green algae growth after. The rock scape still looks nice! :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Your Marco rock & LR looks great, love the caves & looks like lots nice places to mount coral. Your on your way to having a great reef tank !
1085.gif

oh... and here is my group hug :hug1: all for that !