Pocky's RSM 130D Adventure

crespeto

hmm, never thought of using new fish as a stick on the kids, that could be useful. :) Pics please, specially once you get the mp10 installed. Enjoy the new toy, glad to hear that things are going well for you :)

Pocky

I use every negotiation tool I can with the kids... :nono:

On another note, I do need to post some new pics but have not had a chance to upload. I have added an Aussie Gold Torch, a couple snails, and 2 frags of zoas over the last week. I was at the LFS yesterday and saw a Mr. Pibbs look-alike. I had never seen a Blue Spotted Jawfish in person before, just online. They are the most adorable little things! I was so extremely tempted to get him but dragged my disappointed self out of there with just 2 zoas and a replacement snail. I'm not sure that I'm ready yet and didn't want to risk his life. But I keep thinking about him... :tears:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sounds like nice new additions ! Looks forward to pics ! Good idea on bsjf, a few members in the last year lost theirs & I remember Lee saying a mature tank in his opinion was part of the equation to there success.

Pocky

Yes, reading through the Blue Spot Forum thread scared me. Most people had problems keeping the BSJF years ago, but all those losses still concern me. Tammy and some others have done well with them so I'm optimistic. I must get one at some point and might have to bump the yellow goby lower on the list. I'm already starting to lobby with my son since he believes he gets the next pick. I mentioned how cute the BSJF was, and he wanted to go see it at the LFS. All I have to do now is convince him that the BSJF is "his" pick...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I want one too
602.gif
they are cool fish... my new 250 about 3 months old now... I am thinking at about 6 months might be right for me

Dweezil

Pocky ~ Before you buy a BSJF make sure you read up on them alot. They like to have lots of rubble to build with. I always have extra dry rock available and take it outside and smash it with a hammer to make the rubble for Mr. Pibbs. Also they do not like warmer water. They are more of a cooler water fish I like to keep my tank at about 77.5 78.5 deg. They like to eat!! I feed mine everyday some say 2 times a day but mine has been good with daily feedings. Above all else remember they are jumpers big time. Never ever leave the lid open for any reason, even if your just "going to the other room quick" Here is a good article
Species Profile: Opistognathus rosenblatti (Bluespot Jawfish) | AquaNerd

Pocky

Thanks for the tips Tammy! I have read so much about them, watched videos, etc. I spent days, maybe a couple weeks reading through the 317 pages on the Blue Spot Club. That's why I'm being extra cautious before buying one. Many of them seemed to get the mysterious disease with white patches shortly after being acclimated into the tank. Others lost them due to jumping. I even read that your Mr. Pibbs was found in the overflow. Some were even able to jump through egg crate covers. Hopefully, after plenty of research and some more experience, I can be successful keeping a BSJF too.

Through all the posts, the coolest thing was that bluespotjawfish (Lorraine) was able to finally get a healthy pair that stayed put in her tank, and she captured video of her male flashing mating signals. Have you had a chance to see it? It's amazing to watch. Unfortunately, after having the pair for awhile, she then moved house and the male didn't make it.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluespot-club/16244-bluespot-club-246.html#post531381

Dweezil

Oh yes, I've seen Lorraine's fish :) As long as your committed to learning as much as you can (and it sounds like you are) You should be successful. Mr. Pibbs still likes to hang out in the surface skimmer ;) I don't know why he likes it but he gets in and out at will. It freaked me out the first few times but I'm used to it now.
They all act different as well. Just likes kids and puppies I guess. Many people and articles say they will stay in their burrow most of the time but Mr. Pibbs is out and swimming around ALL the time and almost never goes into his burrows. One thing they all do have in common is they are messy! LOL They spit sand on everything...EVERYTHING. :)

Pocky

Here are some updated pics of my tank. Still very bare, but we are moving forward slowly but surely.

Aussie Gold Torch
DSC_0037.jpg

Crabby Paddy has gotten huge since his molt. It is unbelievable how small the shell is compared to how big he is now. The strangest thing is that we have caught him hugging the corals daily at night or in the morning before daylights come on. I've watched him closely to see if he is actually eating the corals but have not caught him doing anything bad (and I've spent hours into the night watching - I'm sure my hubby is loving my new hobby... - to give him a lot of credit though, he is extremely supportive). I've told my son that Crabby may be banished if he harms the corals, so he's been defending Crabby every day. "He's just hugging it... he's not doing anything bad to the corals..." And I have read about the risks of having any crab, so we will see.
DSC_0032_editedcopy.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Frag of Pink Zoas and very small 3 polyp frag of Blue Zoas
DSC_0064_cropped.jpg

Full Tank Shot including the Clownfish Buddies
DSC_0073_cropped.jpg

Dweezil

Great pictures! If it's any consolation...my emerald crab does the exact same thing. He hugs the frogspawn. Has never hurt anything but that's where he likes to hang out at night. :) I think it's just a "safe" place for them.

Pocky

Thanks for letting me know that, Tammy! I'll tell my son that your crab does it too. He will be so relieved for his little guy! Hopefully, Crabby doesn't ever go rogue since I've gotten attached to him as well. He's so cute when we give him a little piece of nori. He runs over, grabs it, and goes crazy ripping it to pieces and stuffing his face.

crespeto

great pics. I love the gold frogspawn, very very nice looking coral. Glad to hear that Crabby is doing well. The clowns look like they are doing well as well.

Pocky

Everyone but 2 snails out of 10 have done very well. Either I got sick snails or I didn't take enough time acclimating them. A couple days ago, I read on RC about the "dry method" of acclimation for snails by putting them in a dry bowl for 10 minutes, then putting them on the waterline in the tank and letting them go in the water when they are ready. I may try that next time.