Plywood Tank Build 300 Gallon

andy8383

Hi All,

After looking through a number of threads on people who have built plywood tanks, I've decided to jump in and give it a shot. I've started to build a 300 gallon plywood tank (8' long, 2.5' tall, 2' deep) with an overflow stretching across the back of the tank. I plan to fiberglass the entire tank and install 1/2" sapphire glass in the front. The tank will be part of a non-profit office redesign I'm spearheading.

I have some experience (used to have a 75 gallon saltwater tank in college), but I have been out of it for a number of years. I know I'm going to need a lot of advice along the way, so I hope more experienced forum users can help give me some direction.

A few quick questions...

- After looking at the various waterproofing options, I've decided to fiberglass the tank (inside and outside - might be a bit overbuilt, but I want this tank to last). I've just started researching the fiberglassing process and it doesn't sound too complicated, but I have zero experience in this. Has anyone fiberglassed a tank before? Any suggestions on type of resin/hardener or where to get them? Any other tips would be very appreciated!

Thanks Everyone!

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Welcome to RS, glad to have you. :thumbup: On the DYI project. Im big on DYI. The only thing i might add is that with the hight of the tank you describe, lighting will be a factor if you intend to keep Coral.

That said, There are TONS of experienced, helpful, friendly, and yes even a few BENT people here, who are happy to share their knowledge.
Speaking as one of the Bent ones, we're glad you joined us. WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Willie u created another plywood lover! Welcome to rs. Matt

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

andy8383

Thanks for the welcome!

As of now, I'm not planning to grow corals initially. I need to get a bit more experience under my belt. That being said, I was planning to light the tank with 4 400W Metal Hallide Lights. Building a pretty beefy fan system to keep the tank as cool as possible. Trying to avoid a chiller.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Look for Willie McDaries plywood thread. Its a true inspiration.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

Some good advice on the top "required" gear for our hobby! Even if you don't buy from them, the concepts are key...

Must-Have Products for the Reef Aquarium by Robert Farnsworth, MarineDepot.com Reef Squad

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
big project you have set for yourself. Instead of Fiberglass, have you looked at Epoxy Paint. Once its dry, its harder than cement. Dont forget to include in your plans a 125-150g sump/refugium. That big of a tank will require alot of filtration/skimming, especially if you dont intend to have alot of Live rock inside the DT. For Epoxy paint, look up Epoxy Pool Paint... its 2 part paint u mix right before you apply, and it takes 36-48 hrs to cure completely, but u can reapply a 2nd coat after 4 hrs. build the frame solid, and 2-3 coats of Epoxy paint, and that tank will be solid. I've no experience with Fiberglass, but im building a DYI Frag tank. I looked into and did much research on Epoxy paint...it looks very promising.

Willie McDaries

Hi All,

After looking through a number of threads on people who have built plywood tanks, I've decided to jump in and give it a shot. I've started to build a 300 gallon plywood tank (8' long, 2.5' tall, 2' deep) with an overflow stretching across the back of the tank. I plan to fiberglass the entire tank and install 1/2" sapphire glass in the front. The tank will be part of a non-profit office redesign I'm spearheading.

I have some experience (used to have a 75 gallon saltwater tank in college), but I have been out of it for a number of years. I know I'm going to need a lot of advice along the way, so I hope more experienced forum users can help give me some direction.

A few quick questions...

- After looking at the various waterproofing options, I've decided to fiberglass the tank (inside and outside - might be a bit overbuilt, but I want this tank to last). I've just started researching the fiberglassing process and it doesn't sound too complicated, but I have zero experience in this. Has anyone fiberglassed a tank before? Any suggestions on type of resin/hardener or where to get them? Any other tips would be very appreciated!

Thanks Everyone!

Andy,again,welcome to RS....I would recommend you reconsider those measurements a little and go with the 24" tall and 30" deep...keep the 96" long though :D they recommend not going over 24 tall with 1/2" thick glass,though it can be done and it would look awesome,but 30 tall is a pain to work in and like already stated,it requires a lot more light,though 4x400w halides should do it but you're talking a lot of heat and a lot of power consumption...

I built my tank 27" tall (outside measurement,25.5" inside) with 1/2" thick tempered glass but my glass and water level is only 24",I had plans for a surge tank system and wanted the extra height just in case......I'm running 4x250w halides,tank heat ain't a big issue with this 17000btu window AC unit freezing us to death in here :lol: but almost $400 a month in electric bills is killing me....

Willie McDaries

Instead of Fiberglass, have you looked at Epoxy Paint. Once its dry, its harder than cement.

I used both in mine but you are correct,the epoxy paint is tougher than nails LOL the fiberglass is basically the same thing but thicker plus you add the mesh to reenforce the corners,what I used was a clear fiberglass 2 part epoxy and embedded the mesh into the epoxy,then I used the Sweetwater epoxy paint for the final color,the Sweetwater brand is specifically made for aquaculture tanks and is FDA approved for use in residential water towers,it is some potent stuff until it dries though...I can't count how many brain cells I lost to that stuff :D

my fiberglass mesh and epoxy came from here http://www.fiberglasssite.com/servlet/StoreFront

and the Sweetwater epoxy paint came from here Aquatic Eco-Systems: Koi - Epoxy Paints

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I can see where doing that would be advantageous. I love your build. The way you did yours, the Plywood ends up being nothing more than a Mold. the load bearing is done by the epoxy and Fiberglass. Inside out boat as it was put. If i were building something holding more than 90g total, i'd do it that way too. The fragging system im building will not have any glass, as its not a display tank.

andy8383

So quick update...

Just after I built my 300 gallon aquarium out of plywood (still haven't fiber-glassed it yet or order glass), I was offered a 300 gallon acrylic tank with an established setup (skimmer, pumps, reverse osmosis, chiller, lighting, etc.) and an assortment of 10 year old, beautiful coral for $1,500. Everything is in good condition. Tank is 8 years old, but no leaks or noticeable scratches.

I think it's a great deal, but I'm worried about transporting the tank (It's about 1.5 hours away) and not killing all the coral in the process. While I was able to successfully keep fish alive when I had a 75 gallon tank in college, it's been a few years.

Any tips for moving or ideas for the coral? Definitely need some advice. Maybe it's not worth it? Any horror stories taking over someone's existing system?

And just for sake of conversation, I was about to purchase all my fiberglass/epoxy last week. Below is my breakdown. If I still decided to do the plywood tank, do you think this would cut it...

1 Gallon Black Sweetwater Epoxy Paint for final coat: $78.00 — planned to apply 2 coats after after fiberglass & 3 coats of epoxy
2 Gallons 635 Thin Epoxy & 3:1 Hardener (EPOX-635315): $128.00 — should be enough for 3 coats
1 Pint of Black Pigment (AC-BL032): $12.25
4" 50 yard roll for corners of 8.7oz Fiberglass Cloth Tape (FG-C04R): $27.60 — for corners
15 yards of 7.5 oz Fiberglass 50" wide (FG-C0750): $94.40 — for rest of the tank

THANKS everyone for your responses so far!!! Definitely helped!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Brian e also has a big plywood tank..... Not to discount Willie at all!