Please help!

aquagirl

We have got some severe Marine Ich! We purchased some new fish, failed to quarantine them due to a huge hermit crab that's in the quarantine tank! ... I know I know.... It's for our son who is in the process of seeding a tank. The crab is huge!!! ...as big as a softball!!! Anyway, everything looked great for 2 days and now our midnight angel and flame angel are covered with spots!! Is there a reef safe treatment available?? Any luck???

jpsika08

Hi, and welcome again, sadly there is no treat for Marine Ich (Crypto crayon) which is reef safe.
The steps you need to follow would be,

1. Establish a Quarantine tank ASAP. (This tank only needs to be equipped with heater, pvc for hiding places and a filter sponge), you can use display tank water as fish are already contaminated.
2. Remove fish from main display and place them in QT
3. There are only two proven methods that work against Ich, Copper treatment and Hyposalinity, both have to be applied by the book. In case of the copper treatment I would recommend Seachem Cupramine which maybe is the best copper treatment, of course, both of these treatments can only be used within the QT and not display tank as you would kill corals, live rock and sand and inverts.

We have a top marine doctor in the forum (Leebca), check out this link, lots of sticikes to read with unvaluable information, Fish Diseases & Treatments

Once you begin treatment, even that your fish get cured quickly, you need to leave your main display fallow (or fishless) for 8 weeks minimum, all of this info is in those stickies.
Also, any questions you have about this, start a thread over the fish disease and treatment section, Leebca will answer shortly.

Good luck.

yankieman

Wow great answer Juan ,,And welcome to RS Juan is spot on ,, read the link Juan provided and I think you will be happy with results after the treatments ,

DaveK

... Is there a reef safe treatment available?? Any luck???

To answer your specific question, while there are products out there that claim to be "reef safe", in my opinion, none of them are effective against the disease.

Think about it. If an effective reef safe was available, everyone would switch to it overnight.

Regretfully, the other replies are quite correct. Use a quarantine tank. Treat with copper or hypo salinity.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear you are having to deal with ich - good advise ^

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif