play sand

GrendelPrime

so yrs ago it was acceptable to use certain play sand for marine aquariums, my question is does anybody still use play sand and if so what brand?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The stuff they sell today is no good. It used to be a play sand that was made in Easton Pa I believe. A vinegar test should tell you if it's good for the tank or not but I was always worried about the rinse/wash process of that stuff

DaveK

You can use play sand if it is aragonite sand. You can also use silica sand, but this may cause diatom blooms.

However, I don't really recommend play sand because you don't know much about it's source or if it's been contaminated by anything. Remember this usually comes in heavy paper bags, not plastic.

The other consideration is this...Do you want to put your whole project at risk just to save a few dollars on sand? The sand is one of the least expensive items in a reef system, and you usually only need to buy it once.

If we were talking about setting up a lot of tanks for farming corals or something similar, then you might save a lot by using playsand or something similar. If your like most of the people here you only have 1 or 2 tanks, and the sand you need to inexpensive enough.

Last edited:

soco

You can use play sand if it is aragonita sand. You can also use silica sand, but this may cause diatom blooms.

However, I don't really recommend play sand because you don't know much about it's source or if it's been contaminated by anything. Remember this usually comes in heavy paper bags, not plastic.

The other consideration is this...Do you want to put your whole project at risk just to save a few dollars on sand? The sand is one of the least expensive items in a reef system, and you usually only need to buy it once.

If we were talking about setting up a lot of tanks for farming corals or something similar, then you might save a lot by using playsand or something similar. If your like most of the people here you only have 1 or 2 tanks, and the sand you need to inexpensive enough.
Dave if I haven't said it to u b4 I'm saying it know I love your input. Laying down the knowledge bro!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

DaveK

Thanks. Glad I can help once and awhile.

I only attribute being able to help because over the years have have made just about all the mistakes that people typically have with the hobby. Some were because no one else knew any better at the time, others because I didn't do something right.

GrendelPrime

thanks for the input guys, I don't mind spending the money for sand, I was just curious cause I remember yrs ago there was a specific play sand that was very popular

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I loved the mixture I got from tropic Eden. 2 bags of reef flakes to one bag of mini flakes. Worked perfectly for sand dwellers but not too small to where it got caught in the flow

Squatch XXL

I miss the days where I could stroll into a home depot, and leave with 200+ pounds of argonite sand. Unfortunately, South Down Play sand does not exist any more.

I don't know of any current "alternative" argonite sand. The only way to get reef sand at this time is to buy reef sand.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
^^ that's the stuff I used for my first tank, super cheap and it looked great!

cracker

I'm looking for sand also. I can go to the beach and collect live sand there. However I suspect it's mostly silica. Now my local golf course uses argonite sand in their sand traps. I used it years ago it had a lot of very fine silt in it. took forever for it to settle. So is it worth the extra bucks for argonite?
If Your a golfer take a sample and give the vinegar test!

DaveK

... I can go to the beach and collect live sand there. ...

Apart form the usual issues, removal of sand from a beach, depending upon the state and local authorities can bring a major fine for damaging the environment. Much of the sand on beaches today is the result of beach reclamation projects, and the powers that be don't want it getting used for anything else.

cracker

Good Point Dave, I have wadded thru all the laws here in Florida concerning what can and can't be collected. Ask TBS about all the legal stuff they went thru for there permit to dump and harvest rock in Florida waters. It's mind boggling! . No where was it stated that collecting" sand" from the beach was illegal. Now Florida has some very specific laws on where and what You can collect. some absolutely crazy. For instance, If I find a cinder block "submerged "under state waters I can't take it. However if it's not covered with water at high tide it's OK. If I put rock on the bottom/sand bed etc. It becomes property of the state. I can't take it. Now if I take the same rock and put it in a mesh bag and " hang" it off a "private" dock. as long as it doesn't rest on the sea floor it's OK! LOL It's crazy! Any way ethics aside I'm not concerned about filling a couple of 5 gl buckets with beach sand. Your right though store bought sand would be best. I can avoid any human contamination, chemical runoff etc. I'm still going to the jetties to get a little natural live sand to seed the tank. Maybe even a little mud from the salt marshes.
Also I just gave up on the great shallow deep sand bed controversy to much reading for me!

Squatch XXL

Its funny that this is brought up. I had a response earlier, but deleted it. I felt it was too off topic....apparently I was just ahead of schedule.

I was in Virginia in the fall for pleasure. I happened to be staying very near a wildlife refuge. The local laws there state that I can take no more than 5 gallons of sand and shells per day. By the 3rd day I had 15 gallons of sand. It did not pass the vinegar test, so on the 4th day I returned it. I did manage to keep 5 gallons of sea shells, which I sterilized in a pressure cooker, than dried out.....they are currently curing with 150# of rock.

As Davek says....make sure you know your local laws before you take. Just because something is not nailed down does not mean that it is free. I cam imagine that some places will crucify people in court, and that is not worth a bucket of sand.

cracker

Agreed! Make sure You are familiar with a state laws concerning collecting anything from the ocean. Here in Florida The FWC is serious about this. Any way I know it's a lot easier to just buy some sand from the LFS This way I get the grain size I want etc.
So any Golfers out there?

cracker

Hello Grendel ! So, how deep of a sand bed do You want? Please tell us more about it. and thanks for the few off topic threads !

GrendelPrime

its gong to be a 90gal macro algae tank with most likely a chain link moray and im shooting for roughly 2in sand bed so I needed around 70lbs of sand

GrendelPrime

lighting will be metal halides with some led's thrown into the mix and I probably will be running skimmerless to start

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Chainlink Moray Eel - pretty eel !

lg-70509-eel.jpg