Placing FOWLR in Wall

xxnonamexx

I am looking to place my 120 gal in the wall as well. It has been on a stand with canopy for 5 years and now I got married and need to take it with me to my new house. There is no rush but I found the spot in my basement "man cave" the bulk of tank will be in laundry, work room. I have 1 question as I read other people suggest making the wall a shadow box so the tank can stay on existing stand or new custom built stand this way there is no weight on the wall. What if water splashes from water change etc drip down the walls? I don't want the Sheetrock to get wet or damage. One member stated the will post photos as I am psyched to see how a shadow box will look. I have the sump etc from my existing that I am going to reuse. I am goin with a Fowlr. I did the reef thing but too much to handle right now and my fowler is doing wonderful the past 3 years. What led unit did you get? I'm going with fowler so I don't need anything crazy but I would like to toss the pcs. I don't want to spend a lot on LEDs but I like the led shimmering effect like the MH. This is the backroom work bench/laundry room where the tank will "sit". I made a quick image of how the tank would look. There is also an existing outlet on the othe side of the wall. My brother is an electrician so i will have him swap the outlet for a GFI and move it into the laundry room wall. I think the outlet will also need to be moved out of the sumps way in the laundry room wall. As you can slightly see I have easy way to mount pendants or any lighting from up above hanging. I would love to eliminate the PCs unit I have from coralife. Not looking to spend alot of money on new lighting but LEDS and sufficient for FOWLR.

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 30

lcstorc

I love in wall tanks but unfortunately don't have any guidance for you.
Be sure to take us with you on your journey. I would love to watch it come together.

jpsika08

Welcome to RS! :)
I got an inwall but my tank do sits in a small % on the wall, though, I have seen some users made a small "Lip" on the stand so the tank can extend into the wall, then they cover it up and place a frame around the tank.

Hope to see more of your thread soon.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

xxnonamexx

Well Thanks. I started to gather ideas from others and I need to get some materials before I do a little demoing of the wall and set it all up.